Question Ranger Trailer - adding 7 pin plug - Wiring Question????

The trailer in question is a 2006 Z21 Rangertrail tandem axle with surge brakes.

I want to add a 7 pin plug to the end of my trailer wiring to fit directly into my factory trailer light recepticle on a 2012 Chevy 2500HD.

There are 7 wires on the trailer that need to be connected to the 7 pin round plug and are listed below:
    * Yellow/Brown (double wire)
    * Green/Brown (double wire)
    * Red
    * Red
    * White

Where on a 7 pin plug to each of these wires connect?

I've found wiring diagrams online, but the two (2) red wires on the trailer are the cause of my confusion. I can't find any diagrams showing two (2) red wires. What are these two (2) red wires for?

As always, really appreciate all the help I get off this website!!!
    Last edited by rookyboy; 09-11-2018 at 09:33 PM. Reason: clarify

does the trailer have brakes? if so surge or electric? Does it have back up lights ?

sounds like someone has done some re wiring with red wire
    best thing might be to make 12 volt contact with each one at a time and see what lights up.

3. Member
    Sounds like that to me.

If in doubt, use a 12V power source and connect ground to white and hit each wire to positive and see what works.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

If it has brakes and back up lights.. My best guess would be one red is for each of those . However they are normally tied together and blue in color.
    In any case you should only need 5 wires to connect with your factory 7 way.
    Odds are your brown wires are for clearance lights-- the yellow and green should be for stop/turn signals -- one for each side-- white for ground.

5. Member
    Hadn't thought of testing with a battery! Great idea!

So on the 7 way plug I should attach the trailer wires as follows:

* white to ground
    * 2 brown wires go to tail running lights
    * yellow wire to left turn and brake
    * green wire to right turn and brake
    * 1 red to brake controller
    * 1 red to reverse lights

The trailer has surge brakes.

Assuming that the two (2) red wires are for a brake controller and reverse lights, will it matter which of the terminals I attached those wires to in the plug?

Or, can I just put the 2 red wires together and connect them to the reverse light terminal on the plug?

Appreciate your time and help! Thanks!!!

Attached Images Attached Images

need to determine what kind of brakes first..
    If they are surge brakes both back up lights and brake lock out solenoid will attach to the reverse lights.(this allows the trailer to back up without the brakes locking up)
    If they are electric brakes -- back up lights go to reverse lights on pick up and the elctric brake on trailer side will go to brake controler on pickup side.

Sorry just re-read
    SURGE brakes.. so yes --if we are correct in the assuptions that one red is brake solenoid and one is back up lights they can both go to reverse lights on truck.

Just replaced the connector on a friends Rainger trailer. The two red wires are as said the backup lights and the brake, put them together and connect them to the center post on the connector labeled reverse lights. The blue wire in that setup is for electric brakes.
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rookyboy View Post

* white to ground

Assuming that the two (2) red wires are for a brake controller and reverse lights, will it matter which of the terminals I attached those wires to in the plug?

Or, can I just put the 2 red wires together and connect them to the reverse light terminal on the plug?

alright I am currently needing to bump this thread for my 2003 Ranger 520 trailer. I’ve tried the combo stated above and can’t seem to get any lights to turn on when I plug into my truck. I’ve tried flashers, brakes, running lights, etc and get nothing at all. I currently have two sections of the 7-way plug unused:

#2: Brake controller output
    #4: 12V Battery Power

I’m guessing nothing is lighting up because nothing is in #4? I’m not very skilled with this type of stuff and could use some help if anybody can give some advice!! Thanks in advance.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rookyboy View Post

* white to ground

alright I am currently needing to bump this thread for my 2003 Ranger 520 trailer. I’ve tried the combo stated above and can’t seem to get any lights to turn on when I plug into my truck. I’ve tried flashers, brakes, running lights, etc and get nothing at all. I currently have two sections of the 7-way plug unused:

#2: Brake controller output
    #4: 12V Battery Power

I’m guessing nothing is lighting up because nothing is in #4? I’m not very skilled with this type of stuff and could use some help if anybody can give some advice!! Thanks in advance.

10. Member
    Needing to bump this thread for a 2003 ranger 520 trailer I am having trouble with. I followed the wiring instructions to each terminal as stated above. I plugged it in and got absolutely nothing. The #2 terminal (brake controller output) and #4 terminal (12V battery power) are empty with no wires in them. I twisted the two red wires together and stuck them in the center terminal as stated above. I also stuck the two black/brown wires both into #3 terminal (tail and running lights). Anybody know what I am doing wrong here? I’m not good with wiring so any help would be much appreciated!

11. Member
    Well in case anyone decides to look at this in the future, I called Ranger and the wire setup was correct. The other white ground wire was not attached to the trailer frame, so once I fixed that it worked.