Optimax 150 oil tank thread fix....quick, cheap, easy.

Ok, the 150 optimax was leaking some oil at the lake. Removed the cowl and noticed the oil reservoir was leaking from the cap. Tightened the cap a little and it popped loose right away. Tried again, same outcome. This, I assumed was the dreaded stripped tank threads. Didn't know what to do so tightened as best I could and decided to work on it later. Got it home and began looking at it when I noticed a live well tank plug laying on the workbench and it got me thinking....found one that was the size of the tank hole. Put it in and snapped it over. So far no more leaks or problems. Easy to access, vent open, and cheaper than new tank. Will probably invest in new tank someday, but no rush now. This fix might save someone out on the lake.

2. Member
    I changed out the oil tank on my 150 Optimax today because the sensor was bad. New tank cost me $140 +tax. It was very simple to change the tank. Took longer to remove/reinstall the cowl thank anything else. Would be willing to part with the old tank. Not sure if the sensor can be changed on it.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good tip!

Please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor