Question What is this Sensor for??? (2003 Optimax)

The sensor in the picture is located on the starboard side of a 2003 Optimax (S/N 0T648533). It is not hooked to anything, should it be? I have a Smartcraft System Monitor if that makes any difference.

dh

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by darleyhavidson; 09-15-2018 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Don said so...

2. Member
    digital speed sensor
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    digital speed sensor
    What hose/tube connects to it? Is it compatible with the Smartcraft System Monitor? Or any Smartcraft gauge?

4. Member
    black speedo to gear case, yes all smart craft that display speed
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    black speedo to gear case, yes all smart craft that display speed
    If I understand you correctly, I can take the black tube that is currently hooked to my analog speedometer and connect it to the digital speed sensor? And then purchase a digital Smartcraft compatible speedpmeter to display the mph?

6. Member
    Yes, but GPS speed is more accurate.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and provide the Required Info when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and provide the Required Info when posting. Thanks!
    S/N added to original post. Thanks for the info.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Thanks.

As Savage indicated, Yes... but GPS Speed is more accurate.

Also, it is acceptable to "tee" the black tubing so that it operates BOTH the Digital Pitot Sender, and an Analog Gauge.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor