Question for rod builders

I have an old Fenwick crankin stick that I think that I got it in the mid eighties. It has a black EVA handle which I've never cared for. Can this rod be taken to a builder, remove the EVA and replace it with cork? I have no doubt that I could probably replace it with a new crankin stick by several manufactures for what it might cost to replace the handle...I don't know, but I would like to keep this rod.

Thanks

2. Member
    It definitely can be refitted with a cork handle.

3. Member
    Had one of those back in the day, two tone yellow and black. If I remember right it had a graphite butt section and a fiberglass tip section. Never liked the EVA either. If you like the action and are good with spending a few bucks on the rod, any decent rod builder should be able to help you out.

4. Member
    Yes sir. Your biggest expense would be shipping there and back. Hopefully you have some one local. Decent cork handles are not too expensive.

Easy to do try YouTube.

He is a full grip removed for a custom split grip. Same process with what you have. https://www.facebook.com/pg/ReedRods...82335278520958

Find someone local to save on shipping and they should be able to help you out. Know that cork will run you a chunk of change if you want high quality cork. Mud Hole, Get Bit, and there are several other places to check out your cork options.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alanhore View Post
    Had one of those back in the day, two tone yellow and black. If I remember right it had a graphite butt section and a fiberglass tip section. Never liked the EVA either. If you like the action and are good with spending a few bucks on the rod, any decent rod builder should be able to help you out.
    That sounds like it, the blank is one piece and slides into the handle about a foot or so for travel.
    Thanks for your response.

8. Member
    Thanks to all that replied, I'll be looking for a local builder.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KyLakeLunker View Post
    He is a full grip removed for a custom split grip. Same process with what you have. https://www.facebook.com/pg/ReedRods...82335278520958

Find someone local to save on shipping and they should be able to help you out. Know that cork will run you a chunk of change if you want high quality cork. Mud Hole, Get Bit, and there are several other places to check out your cork options.
    Thanks KyLakeLunker, that's a great link.