Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Lets talk about Triton"Chine Walk myth"...and what its really doing :)

Hello Guys to those who do not know me..my name is Mike Curtis I've worked for Earl most of my adult life...I started out being one of his engine techs when he was racing during the 70's and ended up at Triton R & D for many years testing and tweeking with Roark Summerford all the boats Roark designed for Earl at Triton...I now work for Engineering at Mercury Marine....so lets get to the action...Chine Walk boy I could right a book for you guys.. simple answer: When a Triton boat nears the 5800 rpm level or 60 mph range the boat is now just starting to run on the pad...thats where the fun begins...you know loose is fast haha,anyway,think of the steering wheel at that point just as a high wire walker uses his balance beam to keep him from falling off the wire...the steering wheel is NOW your balance beam..ALL TRITONS ARE THE FUNEST SAFEST BOATS I HAVE EVER HAD THE PLEASURE OF BEING ASSOICATED WITH..ok ..Earl goal was not to have the fastest Bass Boat on the market but the fastest Fishable tournament boat on the market...we all know that Allisons and Bullets are fast..but they are the most unforgiveng boats to the novice...I know..I've been thrown out 4 times in an Allisons ealier on in my career...I have never been thrown out of a Triton...getting back to chine walk...chine walk is the inability of the boat to stay balanced on the pad by itself...therefore many boat builders add wedge on the outside corners to add"training wheels" to the bottom so to keep a positive down pressure on the hull just as toe in works on keeping a car running straite on the road......in the case of an Allison...there is little or no wedge is on the bottom..this reduction of friction or what we call paracite drag allows the hull to be free and run the fastest..but you must NOW use the steering wheel as your only means to keep the boat standing on one foot so to speak...then there is the other end of the scale such as a Ranger where there is alot of wedge but has the most control stability but at a higher cost to speed from the increase in the parasite drag...so Earl had us, mainly Roark to hit at the middle or just above...this is why you guys see some instability above 60mph with an increase of instability in each increase mph in speed....I WILL POST HOW TO GET BEYOND THIS INSTABILITY TOMORROW C-YA! :) Mike C<br /><br />
    Modified by mike curtis at 10:33 PM 12/1/2011

Modified by mike curtis at 10:41 PM 12/17/2011

2. BBC Lifetime Member Fish TR19's Avatar

Re: Lets talk about Triton"Chine Walk myth"...and wh ... (mike curtis)

Thanks Mike I'll be checking back tomorrow to see what I can learn.

3. Member

Thanks Mike. That's some good straight forward info.

thanks... can't wait to read!

BassCat Cougar FTD
    250 Pro XS

http://www.bluewaterled.com/

5. Member

Thanks Mike !! Ready for the next read !!

6. Member

Re: Lets talk about Triton"Chine Walk myth"...and wh ... (Tmoak1)

And yes you smart arses.....My boat does run fast enough to "chine walk" if I let it.

7. Member

Hi Mike. Thanks for the info....look forward to tomorrow's installment of Bass Boats 101! I sent you a quick IM if you get a chance to read it.

Glad to have you aboard the BBC boards.

8. Member

Re: Lets talk about Triton"Chine Walk myth"...and wh ... (bennybassin)

Awesome post, please keep it coming as this is great reading! and learning of course.

9. Member

FOR THE GUYS(and Gals)WHO HAVE CONTROL PROBLEMS ABOVE 60MPH:
    STEP 1:
    Boat set up is the first step to gaining the maximun rewards that the boat can give YOU in helping YOU in controling the boats adverse lack of Intelligents(brain). & Since the boat can't control itself and does not have the gyroscopic (equilibrium)ability as humans do to be able to stand on one foot,we must give it all of the mathmatic Leverage possible.

STEP 2:
    Desire!!! The desire to allow yourself time to work through the challange of learning how to walk on a tite wire by means of using the boat as your feet and the steering wheel as your balance beam.

STEP 3:
    Patience!! I did not and everybody else too, didn't learn how to control their or any boat in one day or one week.Seat time and DESIRE to learn ,KNOWLEDGE of what the boat is doing is the only way to prevail.

STEP 4:
    Invest in your investment...take your boat for a vacation and leave your rods and reels home,then take your boat out for your first date and get to know it...and lay out and exact outline in your brain on what you want to accomplish.ie; example: Today I'm going to keep the boat between 60 and 65 mph max and hold the RPM between 48 & 5200 max and familiarize myself with everything my boat can do to me at this level of containment.

STEP 5:
    Confidence....Confidence in yourself to do this and do it BY yourself.Don't take a friend with you... do it alone...you need to concentrate on this task and not be swayed by embarrassment or showing off or talking about the good old days....remember your on a date with your boat...not your freind.

I'LL BE BACK TOMORROW TO EXPLAIN STEP ONE:

GOOD LUCK ! :) Mike C

10. Member

This is all GREAT STUFF Mike, Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

11. Member

Re: Lets talk about Triton"Chine Walk myth"...and wh ... (georgeo)

I think that step 3 is the hardest for most of us................

12. Member

This dude should be on the BBC payroll
    Art Carney - Licking the mops at Porcini's since 2009.

13. Member

STEP 1:
    The simple way to set up the boat and engine is to look at what we did for the bass classic and the federation championship boats...this only pertains to those who have trouble above 60.YOU GUYS WITH 176's and 18's HOLD FAST....and I'll set up a different talk about those, as the rules here don't totally apply here with the big boats....Now on to the fun.

Triton 19 20 and 21 & old 22 set up....this set up is for conservative boat handling and 5mph off top speed(crucial)..We want to test and learn how to drive FULLY FUELED,and LIVE WELLS FULL ok?.. its important to do this since it will simulate the wieght of 2 people & gear.

I DON'T CARE WHAT ANYONE SAYS ABOUT ENGINE HIEGHT "DO" WHAT I SAY HERE.(we can go for max speed anytime, we need to control the boat first)

1) If your boat has a 3.0 litre of any engine make go and find a 24 Tempest borrow ,beg or steal one I don't care how.IMPORTANT!!!!! 24 Tempest very forgiving propeller and yea it will tap the rev limit but who cares...we have to get there first.WE INSTALLED 24 TEMPEST ON ALL BASS CLASSICS AND FED CHAMPS BOATS FOR THIS REASON..IT WAS MY CALL ALONE AND THATS WHAT I DID IT(I knoooooow most of you guys who bought one of the classic boats are pissed at me since the best prop for the 21 and 20 is a 26 Tempest or simular...but I was against circumstances..and I wanted everyone to be safe and be able to drive the boats...remeber..I had ESPN camera crews driven them too....haha.) After the second Federation Championship in Tulsa Whew!...I had so many guys that "Chine Walked" me to death that when I got back to Triton I came up with a universal set up that has mostly been the Triton standard for the events.Anyway,moving on.
    2) JACK PLATE HIEGHT: I want you to take the engine and make sure its in the 3rd hole from the top..then put the boat over a curb so you can trim the engine all the way down.All makes of engines have a 2-5 degree of NEGATIVE trim under,so when you trim down the cavitation plate is point slightly down to the ground(plate above the prop)...I want you to get a straite edge like a long metal ruler about 4-5 feet long.(anything thats straite and slender that will fit between the bottom vee of the pad of the boat and clear the trailer)...I want you to raise or lower the engine to the point that the bottom of the boat is even with the trailing edge of the cavitation plate.Take the prop off and Have someone hold the straite edge
    on the very vee of the boat and extend the straite edge out to the engine and see where the bottom is...if the straite edge is above the cavitation plate then raise the motor...if it is under.. then lower it...we want the straite edge to "touch"" the very end of the bottom of the trailing edge of the cavitation plate above where the propeller blades swing between the prop shaft and the plate..UNDERSTAND?.
    NOW THE ENGINE HIEGHT IS SET.
    3) INSTALL THE 24 TEMPEST

4) CLIMB IN THE BOAT FOR PRACTICE;i want you to sit in the drivers seat and if you have a hot foot...I want you to put your right foot in the petal and your left foot on top of the right foot(I knooooow this sounds silly but its for a purpose)
    Since the "chine walk occurs at or just above 4900rpm(60mph) we need to mantain a 5000 to 5200 rpm state...to learn about "chine walk"....When most people get the boat into trouble...they initially freeze up...when you do, the first thing that happens is you foot will push the petal further down so you can brace yourself...its just a natural occurance and "we" need to control our Subconscious state of mind(fear factor)...when you Subconsciousally push the petal down you just aggrivated the chine walk by acellerating the motor and creating torque roll...UNDERSTAND..read it again if you don't :)
    SO IF YOU HAVE BOTH FEET ON THE PETAL..YOU BODY "WILL NOT" PUSH BOTH FEET DOWN..BECAUSE THE LEFT FOOT IS TWISTED AND OVERLAPPING TELLING THE BRAIN THAT THE LEFT FOOT IS AN UNRELYABLE SOURCE OF STABILITY.So it holds the petal from bening pushed by the other foot PROVEN FACT!
    5) go to lake after you get comfortable with that arrangement.
    6)...Plane off the boat after it warms up..hold the r's to about 4000...then trim the engine ALL THE WAY UP...thats right ALL THE WAY UP(trim limit) not trailer/tilt limit......with both feet on the petal...increase the RPM until it gets to 5000.when it does hold it right there and make sure that it stays put(get on a long stretch on the lake)...NOW>>>
    I WANT YOU TO PUT YOU HAND IN YOUR LAP..NO HAND ON THE WHEEL...IN ABOUT 4 SECOUND THE BOAT WILL FALL OFF THE PAD...DO NOT PUT YOU HANDS BACK ON THE WHEEL...THE BOAT WILL CHINE WALK AT A VERY CALM BUT UNNERVEING MANNER BACK IN FORTH...GET USE TO IT CHINE WALKING AND THROW AWAY YOUR FEARS THAT YOU ARE GOING TO BE THROWN OUT...When get comfortable with the fact that the boat is just bouncing back in forth and just that..put your hands back on the wheel but take no action...(mantain the 5000 RPM state)...get use to the boat chine walking at that slow rate with you hands on the wheel...if you run out of lake...slow down turn around and repeat the sequence...now HANDS ON THE WHEEL...after you are use to the fact that your hands are on the wheel and that you are NOT going to be thrown out ...and your not...I want you to do this while its chine walking...move the wheel in any direction up to 1/2 turn in ethier way...makes no difference.....when you move the wheel...take notice what it does to the boat...it may just stop it from chine walking..or it may aggrivate it a little...no matter...just take a mental notice of the wheel reaction to the boat....but when you stop...it will fall back off the pad in 4-5 sec...count it it will...practice at the 5000- to 5200 range until you can put the boat on and off the pad at will...make it chine walk...upset the boat with some goofy steering...just keep the r's below 5200 and I promise you'll be safe...NO U_TURNS of course..use common sense..keep it at 1/4 to 1/2 turns back in forth.....this will take about 5 seperate 30 minute segments of practice to master the boat at this rate of chine walk....when you do... master that..it will be time to move up 200 and 200 only RPM...YOU CANNOT take you hands off the wheel above 5500 and be safe OK??????...just remember CONTROL CONTROL CONTROL the RPM at or below 5200 while in Training good luck :)
    I'll post more later...Take Care and Godbless...Mike C

14. Member

Thanks Mike............... I will be putting this knowledge to use !!!

15. BBC Lifetime Member Fish TR19's Avatar

Thanks Mike

16. Member

Thanks Mike...about time.great to have you here guy.
    bill

17. Member

Re: Lets talk about Triton"Chine Walk myth"...and wh ... (billproxs)

Thanks a bunch Mike, Good Stuff!!!!
    This one needs pinned to the top

18. Member

Re: Lets talk about Triton"Chine Walk myth"...and wh ... (Adub)

FANTASTIC!!! Keep it coming Mike!

19. Member

Thank You Mike waiting on info for 18 footers.I have a 09 Triton HP explorer with a 150 merc ,23 Tempest,running 60.9 but chime is bad cant seem to get it down.

20. Member

Re: Lets talk about Triton"Chine Walk myth"...and wh ... (gunit)

I have a tr18 and I am very intersted on what you have to say on it's setup.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast