Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
  1. Member
    Looks like Mercury vs Yamaha is a deadbeat. The speed I measure in GPS also- Thanks for sharing Gary. Agree, the hole shot is somewhat anemic, but I can hit 6K on the tach so I have no plans to switch props to a 24 as Mike said in the top of this thread.

The chine walk I can drive through, but I usually don't. I prefer to tire my arms setting on Columbia River smallies. ;-)

2. Member

Re: Lets talk about Triton"Chine Walk myth"...and wh ... (mike curtis)

thanks for the info mike i have a 02 tr20 with 200 opti on it with 6'' jack plate set at 3'' lower than the bottom of my hull with a 25 pitch tempest +. at about 62 to 65 it starts to chine walk. but if i play with the trim and try to drive thru it, it wil smooth out. i purchased my boat used in oct. of 09. i love this boat it eats rough water for breakfest, always a smooth ride an any water. this is the first boat purchase for me. iwill put your info to use and try it asap it's just i have a hard time being on the water and not fishing! but i will do my best to follow your guidelines and take the time to learn to drive my boat.

3. Member

YOU GUYS WITH 176's and 18's HOLD FAST....and I'll set up a different talk about those.

Mike I have a buddy who has put a new 135 optimax on a mid 90's 17'6" triton bass boat. Do you have any ideas on what his needs to do to get started on his boat setup? He doesn't have a computer to get on this site, so here I am.

He knows he is overpowered but wanted to go that way.

What information do you need? I know his boat is 1086 lbs and the motor is 431 lbs. and fuel tank is 26 gallon. I do not know motor height on boat.

4. Member
    I wish this thread had a different name. Chine Walk for Tritons in not a myth. With purposeful set up and tuning it can be minimized. I continued to raise my engine up until the chine walk was gone, but it reached the point of where there was no water pressure. I need to update my lower unit to water intakes on the propshaft of my Yamaha. It's an '03 200 HPDI. Even with this configuration you will have to accept the trade off of cavitation driving through the huge waves that develop on the Columbia River or similar wind blown bodies of water. A power assisted jack plate would address that issue. With enough time and money invested you can have the ideal performing Triton.

5. Member

Mike ...

I just took delivery of a 2010 TRiton TR-19 Pro, powered by a Mercury 200 Pro XS
    I have never driven a boat till I bought my first boat almost three years ago ... a Triton TC 17 .... Then 2nd boat Triton VT-19 .... Then my 3rd boat Triton VT-19 Veterans and Armed Forces Edition. All three aluminum boats ... and the last one with a Mercury 115 4-Stroke. PAD and power have never been an issue.

I bought my boat from Bunch Marine in Harriman TN ... Excellent dealership. And one of their pet-peeves is, they set up the boat and lake test it several times to make sure its right ... another one of their pet-peeves is the day YOU come get your boat ... you go out with the tech and lake test the boat together ... and they explain everything to you about your new boat.

MY tech had my boat up on PAD doing about 70 MPH .... the ride was very smooth, and in full control. Then it was my turn .... not quite the same results. So my question is:
    If you are 100% sure the boat is set up exactly right ..... and I am

Then how do I break myself in and what is the best ways for me to learn how to drive this boat correctly up on PAD ????

Thank you in advance for all your time, help, and information .... It is appreciated.

Rich

Re: Lets talk about Triton"Chine Walk myth"...and wh ... (SF Big Dog)

I posted this somewhere else too but here goes. I had read that often times people trim their outboard out too far and this allows chine walking.

This past week, there was no one else on the lake and I tried not trimming it out as far and had my boat (Tr-19) wide open (200 Optimax Pro XS) and there was no chine walking. I noticed a lot of difference in steering it as well, much easier.

7. Member
    Did you lose top speed by not trimming out all the way? What was your top speed in this setting? I'm particularly interested in your experience because I own a TR-19 with a 200 HPDI.

Well, not having a GPS, it's showing around 72 to 74 or so. I trim it out the way I always did till I get up to about 63 or so and then tuck it back in a wee bit after I pass that speed. It works for me so far, no chine walking at all like that. Before, I felt like a kite without a tail.

Oh, if I tuck it in when it's running slower like that, I do see a drop in speed but not when I pass around 60

I'm very happy I put a Teleflex Pro Trim kit on the steering column now more than ever.

I never owned a boat with a larger motor like this so I don't mean to act like I'm an expert, I sure 'ain't'. I'm sure I'll change my mind and views on things a lot over the next year

9. Member

Re: Lets talk about Triton"Chine Walk myth"...and wh ... (kantucky)

I found the exact same thing with my rig ('07 Tr20XHP, 225 Opti). Along with not trimming out all the way, I found that filling the port livewell (when I'm alone in the boat, of course) helps tremendously in keeping chine walk to a minimum.

10. Member
    Well, I agree with everything Mike has said I bought a tr19 with a 200 opti brand new last year. First triton and I will not lie I thought something was wrong with the boat. I asked questions and talked to dealers and marinas everyone told me about the tritons pad size and I thought they were all talking greek.... low and behold they all knew what they were talking about... now runs like a dream even when i am driving it, but your always gonna hit some kind of chine walk at some point so he has a great idea about going out and mentally preparing yourself for it.

Took me about 2 tanks of gas and two dates as Mike would call them. Well worth to learn to control my ride and be a better boater.

11. Member
    Took me a year to finally figure it out. But I can drive that Tr 21 on the pad now with little to no chine at 69-71 mph. Great info :)

Keith :)

I LOVE driving my Tr-19 now. It's like a magic carpet ride but sadly, it's in storage right now and I probably won't be seeing it for at least 6 more weeks...how I miss it

13. Member

Hi Mike

You are the guy I want to talk to: Props

Since you have worked with Triton and now with Mercury Marine, you are just the guy to solve this age old question(s)

Fury prop vs. Tempest prop - Which is a faster prop out of the box for top end speed if pitch is the same?

In your Triton Boat & Motor wisdom what would be the absolute best performing top speed prop for a 2007 Triton 21x HP Bassmaster classic boat?

Thanks Mike

14. Member

Re: Lets talk about Triton"Chine Walk myth"...and wh ... (BIGDOG1956)

OK, I got the motor down to measure today, but do I need to trim it down all the way or level with the bottom of the pad? Either way I need to come up about 3 1/2 inches.

15. Member
    where is the rest of the post
    he only talks about step 1
    id like to see the other steps

16. Member

Re: (shaybag)

Guys,

There is no secret to preventing chine walk, you need to learn how to drive your boat.

The easiest way is to find some one that knows how to drive a chining boat or lighten your boat up as much as possible and let it chine at low speeds and see what it takes to correct it with input in the steering. you have to be in control of the boat not the boat in control of you.

It takes time behind the wheel, and lots of it usually.

I have a TR22 with a 300X on it and it took me over a year and someone to show me for a day before I could master it. Now the only way my boat chines is if I conciously let it. Someone else hopss in my boat that doesnt know how to drive a chining boat and it will scare the crap out of them it chines so bad.

Set up does help but any boat that can get up on pad will chine as its all physics and the design of most V bottom boats.

Have a TR-196 with a 200 Merc and I have noticed that it does like to bump around more at higher speed. Thanks for the advice about the steering wheel it makes it easier to think about balancing it that way.

Re: Lets talk about Triton"Chine Walk myth"...and wh ... (jmanfishing)

Just my 2 cents worth...
    ..NOW>>>
    I WANT YOU TO PUT YOU HAND IN YOUR LAP..NO HAND ON THE WHEEL...IN ABOUT 4 SECOUND THE BOAT WILL FALL OFF THE PAD...DO NOT PUT YOU HANDS BACK ON THE WHEEL...THE BOAT WILL CHINE WALK AT A VERY CALM BUT UNNERVEING MANNER BACK IN FORTH...GET USE TO IT CHINE WALKING AND THROW AWAY YOUR FEARS THAT YOU ARE GOING TO BE THROWN OUT...When get comfortable with the fact that the boat is just bouncing back in forth and just that..put your hands back on the wheel but take no action...(mantain the 5000 RPM state)...

So I'm gonna take my hands off the wheel running wot......don't think so

19. Member

Re: Lets talk about Triton"Chine Walk myth"...and wh ... (Gaspergoo)

I don't believe he meant @ WOT...he meant at roughly 5000rpms which is safe to do...this lesson along with a previous Venture I had taught me how to drive better and trust the boat through chinewalking. If you can get the setup as close as possible to minimize the uncontrolled nature of chinewalk and then learn to stabilize the boat on the pad, it makes for a safe, stable, but fast ride. And honestly, most people don't know how to properly drive the boat they just aren't scared of it, but should be cautious of it and what it can do when not controlled. If you ever get through it, you are ahead of 70% of the people with boats that fast and find yourself gaining ground if not outrunning most of the competition during tournaments (if you're boat is that fast)...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast