Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Member

Re: Lets talk about Triton"Chine Walk myth"...and wh ... (redlion)

you were at 3" first time,then 2-1/2" and now your at 3-1/2"aND YOUR HOLE SHOT MIGHT BE THE 4 TH BOLT HOLE,INSTEAD OF THE 3 RD.

I still like the 2-3/4" area...if your trimmed right and your throwing rooster tail that high,you need to come back down?If your at WOT. lol. the higher you go the higher the rooster tail and less pushing of the boat, you'll just be throwing all the water up in the air? lol.
    AND you said you lost water pressure at 2-1/2" and speed. You sure you know where your setting at> j/k.
    good luck

2. Member

Re: Lets talk about Triton"Chine Walk myth"...and wh ... (billproxs)

I have a tr-18 with a 150 hp johnson it is on a 6" slide master
    I have the motor setting 1.75 below the pad ay recomendations on this boat for props or set up hight. I have been running a 25p renagade but rpm is 5400.

3. Member
    I have the same boat with a 24 raker and i'm turning 5600 with 1 person and 1/2 tank of gas empty livewells. Prop works great

4. Member

Re: Lets talk about Triton"Chine Walk myth"...and wh ... (985ron)

RON I REMEMBER YOU WITH THE NICE SKEETER,BY THE WAY DONT FORGET TO GET THE WORMS.SEE YOU ON THE RIVER WHEN IT CLEAR UP.

Re: Lets talk about Triton"Chine Walk myth"...and wh ... (mike curtis)

Can someone explain to me what Chine Walk is exactly?
    Is it only big boats with big motors that have this problem?
    Not sure but I think my boat might be doing this!
    I have a TR-176 with Optimax 115 and when I am near WOT when I hit the trim it seems to get a little loose.
    Skeeter SX200 Yamaha 200 VMAX OX66

6. Member

Re: Lets talk about Triton"Chine Walk myth"...and wh ... (klgj0102)

I would also love to hear some tr18 setup advise!

7. Member

Re: Lets talk about Triton"Chine Walk myth"...and wh ... (spotman)

I spent alot of time on the setup on my TR18 and its pretty dialed in now. The first thing you need to do is try to equal out the side to side weight in the boat. Remember to consider your weight. After that its all setup. I get a little chine with just me at about 61 and up but easily drivable. With tournament load it won't chine at all and still getting 60-61mph. I think that is as good as it is going to get with an 18. Below is were I'm at.

98 TR18 w 150 Opti
    23 tempest with PVS holes plugged
    6" jack plate
    5 1/4 above transom
    5600 rpm
    64 mph gps
    plane out in about 3sec

Modified by mitchb at 6:58 PM 12/4/2009

8. Member

Lots of seat time and don't give up Tritons are fun to drive fast and very agile boats,but the set up and seat time is important to learn. I have a 2002 TR-21 and at WOT 70+ I can let go of the wheel and the boat just keeps on going straight as can be due to set up. My partners all love to ride with me and feel very comfortable with the overall handling maybe thats why they all want to buy it from me. Take care of your rig and it will take care of you! Mine still looks like the day I took delivery thank you Bass Boat Saver!

9. Member

Greetings Mike. I've recently purchased a 2003 TR-19 with a Yamaha 200 HPDI. I can assure you chine walk is not a myth, and mine occurs above 65 mph GPS. I realize with a short hull and the smallest pad on plane, I may have the most severe challenge. I've read each of your entries on this string and put the pieces together in a word document for further review. Thank you for the level of detail and the level of caring you exhibit in your commentary.

It's clear why you had to install 24 pitch props at the Classic and the Federation nationals. You could not train an entire field of competitors how to drive through chine walk nor could you perform the set up on every competitor's boat. You simply slowed the top speed of the boats. I have what I believe is the original 25 pitch prop from Yamaha, and I would prefer to minimize my boat's chine walk without sacrificing the top speed potential.

I'm a retired road coarse motorcycle racer, so I'm not limited by the incorrect response to the actions of a machine- (having to place a foot under my other foot to stop myself from flooring the throttle to stabilize myself). The conclusion of your posts came down to after the proper set-up was to slowly by adding a little speed at time learing to "drive through" the chine walk. I can relate- sometimes we had to "drive through" the steering head shake a motorcycle exhibited above 150mph. Adjustments to the machine and adjustments how you operated the machine sometimes in combination solved the problem.

I guess the title of this string set a tone of denial for me. After reading all of your entries however, it's not about denial of the boat's characteristics. You explain hull designs and how they are compromises. You explain set up, although I cannot accept installing the 24 pitch "friendlier" prop. (I can always trim down a few degrees and back out of the hot foot). Maybe the 24 would have a better holeshot, but I don't seem to be hurting with a 25 pitch. And you explain driving technique and a training process to learn how to compensate for chine walk and how not to be alarmed by it.

That all being said, any specific tips you have for set up an '03 TR-19 with a Yamaha 200 and a 6 inch set back would be appreciated. Thank you,

Re: Lets talk about Triton"Chine Walk myth"...and wh ... (Zip Decker)

dont you think with all the problems of this, they would change there hulls and make it a better ride?

Speed isnt everything, performance and safty is more important to me
    2016 Ranger 520c - Mercury 250 Pro XS - Lowrance Electronics - Hot Foot - Hydro Atlas Jackplate - (2) 10 Foot Power Poles - Minn Kota Ultrex - Custom Rims

Re: Lets talk about Triton"Chine Walk myth"...and wh ... (bassnspear)

entertaining to say the least!

Re: Lets talk about Triton"Chine Walk myth"...and wh ... (bassnspear)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bassnspear &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dont you think with all the problems of this, they would change there hulls and make it a better ride?

Speed isnt everything, performance and safty is more important to me</TD></TR></TABLE>

They did it's the Executive series (i think that was the name of it)=no chine but slower.
    Sometimes I need my ATV when in my boat and sometimes I need my boat while riding my ATV.

13. Member

is there no other way to get past the chinewalk like extending the jack plate
    or any other options i read about people going 80 plus and just cannot imagine that concidering how much mine (tr 20) dances around at 65

Re: Lets talk about Triton"Chine Walk myth"...and wh ... (weier)

Hello guys, I had a tr21 with 250 yamaha 250 (modified heavily by hydrotech) 10" bobs hydraulic plate, 28 txp 3 blade and robbie at sanderson propeller modified my lower unit and prop.
    The boat would run 86 mph gps, it took me 3 weeks of seat time to get the feel for driving it.
    Spend time behind the wheel and one day it will click and it will become
    second nature.
    My new boat is a norris craft that runs 94 mph and this boat is hard to drive, it will pucker you up.
    Good luck to all.
    Les Mahan - STROKER 250 MERC

15. Banned

Re: Lets talk about Triton"Chine Walk myth"...and wh ... (DLaborde)

Still standing by for the 18, and 17's article.

16. Member

Guys, I grew up with Mike and i am telling you this man is MR.MERCURY. He can drive anything and is VERY comfortable with anything that runs over 100MPH. This is the man that you should take any advice he will give you. He knows your boat better than you ever will.

Tommy

17. BBC Lifetime Member Fish TR19's Avatar

Re: Lets talk about Triton"Chine Walk myth"...and wh ... (tr21xb250)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by tr21xb250 &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">Guys, I grew up with Mike and i am telling you this man is MR.MERCURY. He can drive anything and is VERY comfortable with anything that runs over 100MPH. This is the man that you should take any advice he will give you. He knows your boat better than you ever will.

Tommy</td></tr></table>

Next time you see him....ask him to please come back to BBC and post some more info. I for one am very interested in what he has to say.
    Thanks

Re: Lets talk about Triton"Chine Walk myth"...and wh ... (Fish TR19)

ditto...........
    ...Greg

19. Member
    I'm a fellow TR-19 owner also Gary. Love the boat. Have you solved your chine walk? Mine is mounted with a Yamaha 200 HPDI with a 6 inch jack plate and a 25 pitch Tempest. With the engine mounted 8 inches above the transom I hit 71 mph with complete stability. I had zero water pressure however. I compromised with 7.5 inches and 67 to 68 and milled chine walk. How does your's perform with the EFI?

20. BBC Lifetime Member Fish TR19's Avatar

Re: (Zip Decker)

I still have some days when I have trouble with tha chine walk and some days I do OK. around 68 is the best I have had it GPS but if I look at the speedo I'm going about 76 I measured to below the pad and I'm at about 2 3/4 below the pad around 15 wp at WOT 5750 RPMs. Mine is a 2.5 so the hole shot is not as good as I would like but it ain't bad with dry live wells.
    Also have the 6 in plate. 25 Tempest + with the vents wide open.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast