Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member

Re: Lets talk about Triton"Chine Walk myth"...and wh ... (BIGDOG1956)

Same here. I need all of the information that I can get on my TR18.

2. partner in training trimman01's Avatar

Re: Lets talk about Triton"Chine Walk myth"...and wh ... (jeguy6)

3. Member

Re: Lets talk about Triton"Chine Walk myth"...and wh ... (trimman01)

um.dont think hes comming back.busy man.

4. partner in training trimman01's Avatar

Re: Lets talk about Triton"Chine Walk myth"...and wh ... (billproxs)

I was thinking the samething.....

5. Member

Re: Lets talk about Triton"Chine Walk myth"...and wh ... (trimman01)

I have been playing with my tr-18 set up and this has been a slow process.

6. Member

Re: Lets talk about Triton"Chine Walk myth"...and wh ... (gunit)

Gerard , met you on the river sunday. I read the article on chine walking and it sounds promising. For your safety go to the east pearl to practice. goodluck I had the iclass skeeter Let me know how tou make out . Ron

7. Member

Re: Lets talk about Triton"Chine Walk myth"...and wh ... (985ron)

hello

8. Member

Re: Lets talk about Triton"Chine Walk myth"...and wh ... (mike curtis)

OK, I have an 07 196SC with a 200 Optimax. It is my third bass boat and first Triton. It also is the poorest handling boat I have ever driven. I am sure it was set up by an ape, here is how it is now. It has a 6" jack plate, unknown brand relabeled for Minor Marine, set right around mid point. Motor is installed in the second hole from the top. I went to do the procedure outlined here, using a long straight edge my cavitation plate is way above the lowest point on the hull, I can trim the motor all the way down and it is four or five inches off the ground. with it trimmed all the way down (to negative) the center of the nose cone is about dead even with my straight edge from the very bottom hull pad. If I raise my motor to the third hole from the top (which is the center hole) and drop the jack plate all the way down I may get the cavitation plate trailing edge lined up with the lower pad. Right now it is about lined up with the second step up on the transom.

My Skeeter drove like a dream all the way up to 70+, this one blows out from the hole shot, and chine walks very badly with any positive trim. I can only get about 5200 rpm out of a 26 Tempest. The only time it seems to ride up on the pad is running into a head wind on slightly rough water. Seems to me I need to drop the motor down about four inches then work my way up, is that accurate? Anyone have a similer boat in the Concord/Loudon Lake area?

9. Member

Re: Lets talk about Triton"Chine Walk myth"...and wh ... (modelwerks)

3rd bolt hole,straight edge on v pad...trimmed all the way under guy....you can then adjust your jack plate up or down to get it at the trailing edge of the cav.. plate. when you do this you should be able re level your Motor,put a small level on the cav.. plate and then measure down to the center of the prop shaft. you should be aorund 2-3/4" below pad guy.This is a great starting point for that boat? Those tr-196's will be hard to run at first.

24 or 25 tempess prop.

good luck...you maybe able to adjust it in the 2 nd bolot hole...not sure?

10. Member

Spent about an hour driving around and jacking the motor up, I brought it up six times in incriments of 1/2" until the water pressure dropped then down 1/2" and locked it. The boat drives completely different. It no longer blows out, pops on plane quicker even at low throttle, no 20mph porpoiseing, and it sits just under 5700 at top end. I drove it around about 65-68 for a half hour or so, my Skeeter rode better on glassy water but this is much better on light to moderate chop. I'm going to yank the prop and send it off to fine tune. Thanks for the help, the stepped transom threw me off reading all the "measurement" posts.

11. Member

Hell, can anybody tell me how to drive a triton 186 with a 200 efi on it. Chine walking is hell!!!! The boat gets to 74 mph but you better be paying attention to everymove!!! Running this thing wot is scary! But fishing all day at 4400rpms is awesome.

12. Member

Re: Lets talk about Triton"Chine Walk myth"...and wh ... (hooked-up)

I certain the 186 is only rated for a 175 but they do chine once you hit 60 mph anyway.

13. Member

Very interesting ! Installing 6 in. plate on my TR186 tommorow....
    Merc 150 EFI 23 Temp + 4in. below pad, very drivable now, 59.7 mph best.

Curious on what a the pro would recommend for set-ups on the shorter TRI's ??
    2009 Nitro Z8 225 pro xs 25 Tempest plus

14. Member

Re: Lets talk about Triton"Chine Walk myth"...and wh ... (redlion)

ran today with a 23 tempest and ran 68 mph. but the boat never did lift like it should, still the chine walking is hell!!!

15. Member

OK, 6-18-07 took it out today for test run after 6 in. jack-plate install.

4th hole down on motor, adjustment on plate, middle ( so I can go up or down 2in.) Motor tucked in full trim down, straight edge from bottom V of hull to back tip of cavitation plate puts me at 3in. below pad on prop centerline, after setting cav. plate level, and hull level ( hope I said that right )
    Handles better backing up and forward at idle ( runs straighter) , holeshot went from 4sec. to 5sec. to plane. lost 1mph at 3000, 3500,4000,4500,5000. 5500 is same (55mph), 5800 is 59.6. So not much has changed as far as speed, but hadles like a 20 foot boat now, alot smoother, no chine walk at WOT full up trim. Roostertail is at motor height now ( was at half ). Water pressures have not changed, 19psi at WOT.
    Have raised jack up 1/2 inch... will test tommorow.

16. Member

whats you trying to get out of that thing guy?lol.
    good luck
    Bill

17. Member

I think I have achieved my goal, better handling, smooth. So since I have the adjustments available might as well see what changes right! I'll post my findings and maybe it will answer others ques. about there similar boat
    BBC is a great site, just like having a manual at your disposal for ques and answ. But since I am soooo close to hitting that 60mph mark, might as well try, right Our last boat, 90 Strat 201 would click 74, I do miss the speed but love the differance at the pump

18. Member

I don't doult you'll get there and now your at least set up play with set ups. and not just a big guessing game. I've seen guys all over the place trying to figure out he pad to prop?

lighten up your load,wait until good water,drop down to a half tank of fuel.Run with the wind. 58 to 62 mph....in good temp...
    Just a word? make sure when your adjusting that jack plate guy,but a mark on each side and take a measurement on both sides of the plate.That plate can go up or down un evenly, So make sure your same on both sides.
    Bill

I'm still waiting for MIKE CURTIS to explain the x2 x3 settings.But not sure if he was there when they were being designed?

19. Member

Raised to 2 1/2 in. below pad. 5 sec. hole shot, same.
    slower at mid range, and lost about 3 mph at each rpm 3000,3500, 4000 ect. top speed dropped to 56.6 @ 5900rpm, water pressure dropped to 15@ wot.
    Very little lift on trim now. Roostertail about 2 feet above motor.

Have set it back down to 3 1/4 below pad and will test Sat. if wheather clears (stormy now).

20. Member

Thanks bill, yeah I stamped markers on both sides in 1/4 increments before it was installed.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast