Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoner View Post
    I sealed mine off with the foam, but it did little to curtail the issue. May have to reevaluate the situation soon.
    I also did that and added the vents under the console. Problem persists

2. Member
    Until someone steps up and forms some sort class action suit against Triton to fix this problem.......we are doomed to smell gas the rest of our ownerships.

I am now, finally, a happy man with respect to gas fumes in my rod lockers. I followed the excellent advice in the 1st post of this thread and reduced to problem. The second round action did the trick completely. We put a 4 inch vent under the center seat, the went to the front of the boat, pulled the TM footwell and fronts with panel. As suspected, the front of the rod lockers were open in front and fumes were entering from there. Used same method to fill those gaps. I hope this helps someone.

4. Member
    I have TR186DC and the smell made my eyes water, I installed a 10 inch vent between the seats and more in side speaker holes.
    i was afraid of the foam so used upholstery foam that I slightly larger then the openings going into rod lockers. It made a good tight seal. Im going to do the same with opening up front at the trolling motor.

5. Member
    Keep us posted on the results!

6. Member
    Has anyone ever taken the tank out and sealed it with some kind of spray on product? Anyone have suggestions on a sealing product?

7. Member
    I just bought a 2004 Triton 186 and this post is just what I need. The only problem is that none of the pics are visible to me. I need to do this project, so any help would be appreciated.

8. Member
    New owner of a 2004 Triton 186. And that smell is definitely worth trying to get rid of. My guess is that the pics have been removed due to the age of the post. I would love to get my hands on the pics so I can make this repair.

9. Member
    Just bought a 98 tr20. Gas smell is horrible. Would love to see the pics

10. Banned
    03 TR 186 owner here and I have noticed the smell as well. Pics would be great if they could be posted again or brought back from the dead.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbsoonerfan View Post
    03 TR 186 owner here and I have noticed the smell as well. Pics would be great if they could be posted again or brought back from the dead.
    I was looking for pictures as well. If anyone has them, I'd really appreciate it.

12. Member
    Does anyone have the pictures of the original post?

WOW , That's allot to do. I had the same issue with my FS190. So bad I was afraid to start the boat without airing it out.
    Granted I had to cut an access hole to get to my gas gauge sending unit ( was not working) , put a new one in , sealed properly and after the boat aired over the winter
    almost all gas smell is gone. Seems to take time as all the foam has absorbed this smell.

A guy needs to think about this , WHY ???
    Either the gas gauge sender is not sealed , a hose leak running to your motor leaks , your fill hose leaks or the frickin tank is leaking. The smell comes from somewhere.
    Sealing it up so you don't have smell up front is not very smart. Those fumes are still there and one day may go boom.
    2002 Triton 190 FS , 200 EFI, 25 tempest plus, Garmin Force, Garmin 10 Ultra sv, LVS 34, 2 Garmin UHD 93sv

14. Member
    Anyone with updated pictures? I'd like to try this on my boat.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by toonedin View Post
    WOW , That's allot to do. I had the same issue with my FS190. So bad I was afraid to start the boat without airing it out.
    Granted I had to cut an access hole to get to my gas gauge sending unit ( was not working) , put a new one in , sealed properly and after the boat aired over the winter
    almost all gas smell is gone. Seems to take time as all the foam has absorbed this smell.

A guy needs to think about this , WHY ???
    Either the gas gauge sender is not sealed , a hose leak running to your motor leaks , your fill hose leaks or the frickin tank is leaking. The smell comes from somewhere.
    Sealing it up so you don't have smell up front is not very smart. Those fumes are still there and one day may go boom.
    My thoughts exactly.The source of the smell needs to be found and eliminated, rather than sealing compartments to keep fumes out.Is there any way to add a proper outboard vent and line to the existing tank?I have been looking for a TX 21 but may have to reconsider Triton if this is such an issue.This problem isn't simply annoying, it's downright dangerous.

16. Member
    The gas smell is my fish attractor now, lol
    2022 Ranger z518 / 2022 Merc Pro XS 200 serial # 3B137559

17. Member
    Seriously…I just leave my rod locker lid up when I’m storing my boat in my garage. Doesn’t affect any other storage area with the sealed tubs.
    2022 Ranger z518 / 2022 Merc Pro XS 200 serial # 3B137559

18. Member
    If you can not visibly see gas there most likely is not a leak. It’s call permeation. Basically the tank leaks fumes out it’s pores. This is a common issue for those boats.

19. Member
    I’m original owner of a 2008 TR186 and about 3 - 4 years ago started noticing the gas smell in my rod lockers. It’s getting stronger and also now smells in the battery compartment. In battery compartment appears smell coming from the area by starboard battery tray where the hoses and wires run. No gas ever visible in bilge area. My venting sucks, and appears to only be one small vent under each of the 2 seats. I’m in Toronto Canada area and will shortly be taking it to a dealer to get them to look at it and pressure test. Does anyone know, if the tank for some reason needs replacement, if can be removed without removing the entire floor deck? I also welcome any comments on my particular situation.

20. Member
    I took the boat to dealer and they pressure tested tank and lines. No apparent leak and they believe issue is permeation. I guess I’ll just live with it and air out compartments more often. Not going to have the seat area butchered so can swap with a lined tank, which Triton should have used in the first place.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast