Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
  1. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    The 1st post in this thread walks you through the fix.

2. Member
    I was wondering if it came like that from Triton or not as the black vents looks OEM. The vents are centered in front of each seat. Its a shame that those dont work and that I have to go through the hassle of spray foaming my rod locker. I didnt see anyone else speak of having those vents and the pictures in the first post showed vents that are covered by carpet which mine aren't. Should I try removing my seats to see if those notches are there or not or just go gung ho with the foam?
    2023 Phoenix 819 Pro
    2023 Mercury 200 ProXS

3. Member
    This problem goes back as far as 1999.I have an 04 TR186 same problem, called Triton and the response was,all boats with plastic tanks do this even Rangers.I did the foam and the vents,it helped but it has never gone away.

4. Member
    If your smell is worse when you fill up, it might be a kinked fill hose. I have a 2002 205 walleye boat that I had the same gas smell in the boat. Same story from Triton permeation from the gas tank. I even sent it back to the factory and all they told me was permeation from the plastic tank. After 9 years of putting up with this smell, I decided to get to the bottom of it. What I found was the fill hose was too long and when they put the top half down on the boat it kinked the fill hose. When filling the boat with gas it would litterally run down the outside of the hose, must have had a pin hole in it. I replaced the fill hose myself and never had the smell again, even with that plastic tank. Actually lucky the boat never blew up. By the way it is not fun to replace that hose in a walleye boat, hopefully if that is the cause you bass boat guys have an easier replacement.

5. Member
    I followed this step by step and even put two additional vents (two under the seat and two in the sides) and I still can't get rid of the gas smell. No way I can ever use my rod lockers again in my '04 Triton.

Quote Originally Posted by evanhoose View Post
    I followed this step by step and even put two additional vents (two under the seat and two in the sides) and I still can't get rid of the gas smell. No way I can ever use my rod lockers again in my '04 Triton.
    What is it with the 04's I have same problem in my 196. The fill hose could be the issue but man how would you ever replace it? I've just dealt with it over the years taking a few small steps to curtail the odor but nothing has eliminated it.
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

7. Member
    My fill hose was installed incorrectly when I got it, but my local dealer replaced it right away. The hose was too long and installed with a big loop. It made the gas shoot right back out at me and the boat. Gas got all over my carpet and the carpet had to be replaced also because it came up. This all in the first week or so after I got it. The boat since has been awesome except for the gas smell that started about 3-4 years later and now is so bad that the rod lockers are not able to be used.

Anyone else know what more can be done? The vents I put in the side are 4" round. I took out the speakers for my radio and put vent covers over the holes. If that hole isn't big enough no others will be.
    Last edited by evanhoose; 05-21-2013 at 08:05 AM. Reason: spelling

8. Member
    Does anyone have the phone number and name of a person at triton I can call about the problem. My 07 TR-176 smells bad and all my gear has the smell of gas as well. Glad I found this thread I thought I was the only one with this problem. The Dealer I bought from went out of business the year after I bought my boat. Thanks for your assistance.

9. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    The 1st post in the thread walks you through the fix..................

10. Member
    This is beautiful. I have this issue in the ZX. Can't wait touse these tips and fix it! Can't hardly wear the jacket I keep in the boat for the smell.

11. Member
    you might want to block the bilge hole off under the bow area ,fumes can come up through there ,and also around the cooler, fumes can also get in the rod boxes from tht area.if you have added vents in the cockpit that should keep all the fumes to the back of the boat

12. Member
    Is Triton doing anything to the newer models to make this problem go away. If so....what? Are they still using the plastic tanks?

13. Member
    If I'm gonna pay $45000+ for a boat....I should not have to go "through a fix." Should be some kind of class action thing against Triton for this issue.

I have a 97 tr18 Same issue heavy gas smell up in the rod locker. I was putting some blue water LEDs and decided it was time to styrofoam the rod locker and smell was gone in a day or so
    Phoenix 919 pro xp

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbp84 View Post
    I have a 97 tr18 Same issue heavy gas smell up in the rod locker. I was putting some blue water LEDs and decided it was time to styrofoam the rod locker and smell was gone in a day or so
    how did you seal up the bow area? Mine just has a vertical carpet barrier. I went thru the fix posted in this write up but it doesn't really address the front area newer the bow. My boat locker still reeks of fuel.

parking my trailer at a slight incline seems to help keep the fuel vapor a bit at bay...away from the now area.
    2022 Ranger z518 / 2022 Merc Pro XS 200 serial # 3B137559

I just did the locker it's knocked the smell out tremendously so I'm gonna ride with it. I added a recessed Tm tray so mine has to be open for water to drain
    Phoenix 919 pro xp

17. Member
    Just bought a 2005 with gas smell in rod lockers also. Pulled seat out checked hoses and all looks good. I do have a vent / drain under both seats. Going to try foam method this week. This is an old thread and just wondering if anyone has any updates on doing it. I am going to put larger vent behind seat in addition to ones at floor.

18. Member
    Going to run through this myself? Get it strong in the Starboard rod locker on my recently purchased 2005 TR-186. Was actually thinking of calling Triton about it?

19. Member
    I have the same issue. Can one install a tank vent by cutting a tee in the vent line somewhere? It seems to have been plenty effective for a lot of years.

I sealed mine off with the foam, but it did little to curtail the issue. May have to reevaluate the situation soon.
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast