Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member

Re: Gas smell in Rod Locker Fix (Jiggernaut)

i have the same problem with the gas smell in my tr 186

2. Banned

Re: Gas smell in Rod Locker Fix (jrichie09)

mine to bad fumes 2008 tr 20 x 2

Re: Gas smell in Rod Locker Fix (fats)

I am assuming that the 21 X3s have the same problem? Is this with all Tritons??? I just sold my boat and was consodering a 21X3, but now i have to really re-think it.

Mike

4. Member

Re: Gas smell in Rod Locker Fix (Fat Basser)

no, the new ones don't

5. Member

Re: Gas smell in Rod Locker Fix (Fat Basser)

not every boat has this problem and i know champion also had some complaints a few years ago .im beginning to believe it has more to do with the carpet blocking the vents than anything .that might be why some boats have it and some dont. i keep my boat in the garage with all the lids open anyway so i only get it if i tow it a long way under a cover

6. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar

Re: Gas smell in Rod Locker Fix (gambler4)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gambler4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not every boat has this problem and i know champion also had some complaints a few years ago .im beginning to believe it has more to do with the carpet blocking the vents than anything .that might be why some boats have it and some dont. i keep my boat in the garage with all the lids open anyway so i only get it if i tow it a long way under a cover </TD></TR></TABLE>

Mike, the vent problem should be addressed by Triton. If Larry can fix it - then Triton can fix it. It is probably irrelevant that Champion has had the same issue IMO - I own a Triton.

Mine has the smell awful if you have it inside and leave the lids closed, but it is outside even with the lids closed it never seems to be a problem (unless it's covered). My vents are not blocked, so it isn't just a "carpet in the vent" thing. Maybe they should relocate the vents, etc, until they fix it. Coming out with the same vents year after year isn't working!

7. Member

Re: Gas smell in Rod Locker Fix (rudapa)

the new x2's have more vents in the bilge area i dont think they have a problem with the gas smell .triton has done something, its all of our older boats that had it both of mine have had it but so did my old ranger i fixed both tritons i traded the ranger

8. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gambler4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the new x2's have more vents in the bilge area i dont think they have a problem with the gas smell .triton has done something, its all of our older boats that had it both of mine have had it but so did my old ranger i fixed both tritons i traded the ranger </TD></TR></TABLE>

Let's hope so. I guess you can call my "05" old, but there are "08's" in this thread with the problem. Are they old as well??

9. Member

old design ? are they x2's or 3's or just x's

10. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar

What design is Larry's - he fixed it. So you are saying Triton had to redesign the boat, seems Larry's fix was much easier.

Triton dropped the ball on this one plain and simple - blaming the plastic tanks for years and years when there is an easy is lazy at best.

Maybe Larry has better engineers working in his garage.

11. Member

i think his is a 04 or 05 mine is a o6 but all of them dont have the smell , the new boats they have designed in the screen vents in the bilge area if we could install these in ours our smell would go away. our design vents the bilge area out under the console(s) which if all the lids are closed will also gather in the boxes that are not sealed off from the opening under the top caps seal these off and only the bilge will smell . triton has changed their design, but there are alot of boats left and the 176.186,196 and the x boats still use the old set up i have fixed both of mine , i would rather have a slight gas smell than an outdated looking boat that finally could put a 21 foot boat on the market, or a lead sled, or any genmar that might not be here tomorrow. now give me a stroker or a gambler and i could trade up real quick

12. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar

Triton has a very well thought out layout and makes a great looking boat (kind of why I own one). Being known for this "gas smell" problem is NOT one of the reasons I bought a Triton. When it comes to gas smell - Triton is the outdated boat - not the others you mentioned. After all that's what this thread is about - fixing the gas smell since they wouldn't. If it is fixed in the new ones - great!!

On the other subject, I'd say an ugly, large, functional console verses a good looking sporty, plastic one that blocks almost no wind is a matter of preference. Both have their pluses and minuses. I'm not aware of any benefits from the gas smell.

13. Member

I think this is something Triton should fix. This coupled with the center seat cushion are two design flaws that the company should recognize and honor.

14. Member

Re: Gas smell in Rod Locker Fix (Wheels)

I bought my 04 TR 186 last December and have the same problem in the rod locker. Thanks to your detailed post I will be fixing this problem after installing a LSS.
    Mike Hepburn
    TR 186 XR6

15. Member

Mines an 2005 21X.

I've got an older '97 Tr21 and don't have a problem with gas smells at all. I guess because the tank is behind the seats!!!

"Give a man a fish and feed him for a day...teach a man to fish and, he'll lay out of work, miss dinner dates with the wife....and live happily ever after"

"He, who dies with the most toys, wins"

17. Member

Re: (db_db)

I've got an 08 196 I had it sent back to the factory for this and they put in new vents beside the seats one on drivers side and passenger side didn't help at all They checked the tank for leaks also didn't find any. I'm going to try wheels ideal and see if that helps I don't like leaving my lockers open rods getting dirty from dust where i can't use my boat much.

18. Member

Re: Gas smell in Rod Locker Fix (Wheels)

where did you get the vents at oreily's or boat dealer

19. IBAA Man

Re: Gas smell in Rod Locker Fix (buzznbass)

My '04 Triton 196 is smelly too.

20. Member

Re: Gas smell in Rod Locker Fix (IBAA Man)

didnt read all the posts but i had a 94 stratos, when they installed the seats the screws went to far right into the gas tank, my rod locker smelled like a gas pump

doug kajun limb

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast