225 opti computer into 200 opti? Direct swap? Other changes needed?

The PCM (propulsion control module, aka computer) in my 2006 3.0L 200 Optimax (SN: 1B229529200DTS) has died and needs replacing. The shop (certified Mercury Marine dealer, great reputation, very knowledgeable staff) tells me that for only $50 more I can get the computer from a 225 optimax, and that it will drop right in and run fine with no issues. They claim there are NO other differences between the 225 and 200 other than the computer programming, and there will be no issues with the 'upgrade' (other than my newfound 25 hp). I can't help but think maybe there are other minor differences between the two motors (port size, reed size, heads, injectors, etc). My concern being that putting in the 225 PCM might cause problems as a result (running lean/rich, running too hot /cold, poor idle, poor off-idle transition, etc) which may affect longevity/reliability.

Bottom line, if there really is no other difference other than the PCM between the two motors, then I'd be a fool not to take an extra 25hp for $50. But an extra 25hp at the expense of my motor isnt worth it. Any info you may have is appreciated.

Last edited by RocketScientist; 09-11-2018 at 07:46 AM.

Welcome to BBC. You are DEFINITELY going to need serial number to get an accurate answer. Good luck.

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman6965 View Post
    Welcome to BBC. You are DEFINITELY going to need serial number to get an accurate answer. Good luck.
    Thats a very good point, thanks. I have the engine SN written down in notebook at work. I'll add that to the post first thing in the morning. Thanks again.

4. Member
    Get a PCM for a 200 HP.....

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Get a PCM for a 200 HP.....
    Thanks for the feedback! Have any more background/context for that?

Also, added serial number of motor (SN: 1B229529200DTS) to the original post

6. Member
    ign systems will have to be exact same for it to work (coils),looking on merc site there is no 200 /225 powerheads with same part num (interchange) porting in block of 200 will be smaller and you will not gain 25 hp with pcm swap , been there seen that , tested 05 200 with 225 pcm change only O rpm gain ran and no better mph , try it before you buy it JOE
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketScientist View Post
    Thanks for the feedback! Have any more background/context for that?

Also, added serial number of motor (SN: 1B229529200DTS) to the original post
    The two motors are different, so install the CORRCT PCM for your motor.

8. Member
    The two motors are different
    I mean, that's literally exactly what i was asking: if the motors actually ARE different, other than the PCMs. If the only difference is the PCM (as the mercury mechanic told me) then theres no reason not to use the 225 PCM. If there ARE other differences between the two like you state then it's probably not a good idea. So I am trying to find out IF those differences exist and if so WHAT they are.

Just to be clear, I'm not arguing with you at all. In fact we agree, my default is to stick with the 200 PCM unless I can convince myself there are no other differences. I'm just looking for additional information to either confirm my gut instinct, or confirm what my well-respected, trained and certified mercury mechanic is telling me (that there are NOT any differences beyond the PCM). I appreciate your input, and if you have any specifics or details as to the differences between the motors I would be very appreciative to hear them. I'm just trying to make an informed decision so I'm not in a situation where my choice is to trust one guy (my mechanic) or trust some other guy (you) without any information of my own as to which is right.

9. Member
    The motors ARE different. Post #6 discusses this. You will see no gains.

10. Member
    Savage and Joe54 are steering you correctly. Just look up the part #'s for the following items on a 200/225/250 and you'll see at the very minimum the following differences between all 3 engines.
    Pistons
    Crank
    Cylinder Heads
    Cylinder Block (ie..port timing)
    Reed block
    Intake plenum
    Throttle body
    Fuel system/rails/cooling circuit

I too looked for a simple 'bolt on' 25-50hp...but the only simple & reliable bolt on mod is either: 1) new powerhead 2) complete new outboard

Stick with Savage's recommendations !
    2020 BassCat Eyra w/Merc v8 Pro XS (2b685615)
    2008 Triton TR196 w/Merc200 (1B505505)
    2024 Havoc Alum Duck boat w/ Mod Mercury 3-cyl 2-stroke
    0T899507 w/1B728726 powerhead (sleeved/ported/welded chambers, mod carbs/tuner &light flywheel)
    Previously owned:
    2018 Eyra w/Merc250 (2b525704)
    2015 PII w/Merc200 (2b115304)
    Brooks tunnel w/Merc 200 carb & CLE l/u motor (A913415)

11. Member
    The motors ARE different. Post #6 discusses this. You will see no gains.
    Yes I see that post, but that wasn't written until AFTER you'd already made yours telling me not to do it. So I thought you might have some information yourself as to how or why they are different, which is why I asked my follow-up (again, all before post #6 was written). Considering you were against the idea before Joe54 chimed in with his info, I assumed you had details yourself about what differences if any there are between the two, and was hoping you would share them in case there was additional/different info to what Joe54 shared. Just trying to educate myself. thanks again.

12. Member

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Definitely different (porting in block will not support 225 fuel curve). Get the correct PCM or have yours repaired.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Definitely different (porting in block will not support 225 fuel curve). Get the correct PCM or have yours repaired.
    listen to this mans advice!!!!!!
    I don't always post or reply but when I do, I...?

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joby1 View Post
    listen to this mans advice!!!!!!
    and post #4,#6,#10.........

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    and post #4,#6,#10.........
    Absolutely!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor