OMC Cobra trolling motor seals

Has anyone replaced the seals on one of these...the large case o rings & the two shaft seals. Just wondering the difficulty level of this and what to expect. My boat has been sitting for 10 yrs. ..inside my shop....I've finished going over the engine (150 Evinrude ) with new hoses, Carb kits, lower unit seals ,water pump etc.. I found seals there that looked like they were ready to fail so now I'm thinking maybe the trolling motor should get some attention also...or just leave it as is....any thoughts on this ? I hate to ruin a good TM if water leaks in. 1990 Javelin 396 , OMC OBFL4A 24v trolling motor. Thanks

2. Member
    Been a while but not hard. If you changed your lower unit seals you can do this.

3. Member
    Thanks, appreciate the input, I think I'll give it a go before I hit the lake with it.

4. Member
    It's not hard, finding the parts is the trick. You'll have to go to a bearing store and match the o'rings (if I remember right they are square) and the seals. Parts for this trolling motor have not been made for over 10yrs.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

5. Member
    Thanks John, I was lucky and found the parts on ebay, hopefully they won't be as old as the ones in the motor now..we'll see.