What about Shelbyville or Rend Lake?

We used to fish tournaments on these lakes years ago and had some nice bags... but you don't hear much on this board about Shelbyville or Rend.... or Pool 19 at Keokuk or Pool 17 at Muscatine. Enjoyed the competition and opportunity to fish different water. Now, we don't don't change it up too often, but still enjoyed those trips.

Mississippi River Pool 13
    Ranger R93 / Merc 200

2. Member
    I fish rend all the time still have alot of fun out there but sometimes it'll make you hate the place! Usually someone brings in 16lb+ to win a tourney. This year there has been some occasional 19lb bags. I had my personal best bag this year of 19lbs on a Wed. Eve tournament. Rend dont get talked about much because its tuff and you have better lakes like Egypt and kinkaid not to far away.

Our very first bass tournament was the spring kick-off for Midwest Bass in 1983 at Kinkaid. The total entry was like 127 boats divided into 3 flights. We would drive all over the midwest having a ball. Flipped a lot of bushes at Rend and learned bass fishing by fishing with a lot a different men ( and some were quite different). The pro-am format was perfect teaching for novices like us. Illinois, Missouri, Arkansas, Wisconsin, Indiana .... Kentucky. Covered a lot of water, (spent a lot of $), picked up a few pointers. still very happily married -37 years... and can find my own fish.
    Last edited by hooksetter5; 10-08-2018 at 08:22 PM.

Ranger R93 / Merc 200

4. Member
    Rend is probably the most underrated lake in IL. Easily a top 3 lake in the state.

5. BBC SPONSOR
    DylanSam are you sure about that? LOL. You got to see Rend a few times when it was one of the best lakes in the state. Mother Nature is wreaking havoc on Rend, between everything silting in & losing main lake bushes. Then you throw in the 3 to 5 tournaments a week I truly believe Rend is in a downward spiral, for the worse.

Are Illinois Lakes deteriorating as a trickle down thanks to Mike Madigan's choke hold on the Illinois House and the Illinois Budget that funnels little or no money the DNR? Lake & Fish management seems non-existent and the money we spend does not find it's way back to the lakes. Does anyone have a different view or think that they are doing a great job? Personally, I believe that they could do a whole lot better - but it's not going to happen with a $16B deficit (on it's way to $17B)......

Ranger R93 / Merc 200

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet-A Bassin View Post
    DylanSam are you sure about that? LOL. You got to see Rend a few times when it was one of the best lakes in the state. Mother Nature is wreaking havoc on Rend, between everything silting in & losing main lake bushes. Then you throw in the 3 to 5 tournaments a week I truly believe Rend is in a downward spiral, for the worse.
    Agree !!

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hooksetter5 View Post
    Are Illinois Lakes deteriorating as a trickle down thanks to Mike Madigan's choke hold on the Illinois House and the Illinois Budget that funnels little or no money the DNR? Lake & Fish management seems non-existent and the money we spend does not find it's way back to the lakes. Does anyone have a different view or think that they are doing a great job? Personally, I believe that they could do a whole lot better - but it's not going to happen with a $16B deficit (on it's way to $17B)......
    Absolutely