1998 273 / Evinrude 115 Intruder - water pressure gauge connection?

I'm refurbing some non-functional gauges, and trying to figure out a few things.

Speedo - doesn't work - Haven't gotten into it yet to trace the hose back to the pitot tube, but I also found a cut hose tucked up into the wiring under the gunwale. Not sure if that was for the speedo or the water pressure.

Where is the water pressure connection? I grabbed the OMC service manual, but it isn't called out there.

Is it this fitting here? If so - how do you properly route it back up and into the hull?

*Edit* file uploader isn't working - but it is a little plastic nipple sticking up off the front of my lower unit.

Last edited by adrenalnjunky; 09-10-2018 at 07:38 PM.

There should be a small hole in the V of the gearcase about 6" above the nose cone. That is where it picks up water for the speedometer. They are prone to getting clogged up. To clean it HAND twist a small drill bit into the hole to remove the debris. DO NOT use a drill. Once clean you can blow air through it and it will come out the nipple in the picture you posted. The hole I mentioned is where water enters the gearcase and the nipple you have pictured is where it leaves the gearcase and goes to the dash panel speedometer gauge. With that being said it's pretty much the most useless item a boat can have. In fact most new boats no longer have a speedometer because they are notorious for being highly inaccurate, getting clogged, plus most use GPS for speed. If you want to get it working then I understand but be aware it will clog up again. Without looking and as a guess I bet your cut hose that is tucked away is the speedometer hose. It is definitely not connected in the picture you posted...again most people use GPS for speed.

You water pressure should come from the cylinder head somewhere if my memory is correct. In my opinion it is the second most important gauge, with the tachmotomer being the most important. I would want the water pressure gauge working. Get your engine model number and go to boats.net. https://www.boats.net/catalog/evinru...d-by-year/1998 Find you engine manufacturer/year/model. Then search in parts looking at the cylinder head. They have diagrams for every part on the motor and show how they go together. You just have to find the water pressure line and follow where it plugs into the motor...I am 'thinking" cylinder head.
    Last edited by JR19; 09-10-2018 at 08:20 PM.

What RJ19 said and forget about the speedo, they are useless so get a unit with GPS or use a phone app.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

4. Member
    Thanks man,that makes sense. Although on my boat someone's installed a standard a pitot tube pickup on the transom that does have a line running to it. then up under the dash I have 2 hoses running in from the hull.

I'm chasing electrical right now - I'll go after the hoses next.

And yeah - it is more about having it working since it is there - I'm installing a graph as soon as I can get the dash buttoned back up.

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Look at the center of either side cylinder head, you should see a brass hex head plug remove it and that is where the fitting for the water pressure gauge installs. The port side is where most are installed due to routing of the hose.

6. Member
    When I find the end of the correct hose - can I test the water gauge by blowing in the end of the hose, or is it going to take more pressure than that?

Use a compressor
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.