Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3139404142 LastLast
  1. Member
    I have a 1997 TR20 with a 175hp Johnson Faststrike my top speed was 74mph on a river system.

2. Member
    2016 18TRX 200 Evinrude HO
    8" jp 26 fury prop
    With current 75.4
    Against current 73.1
    Full tank, left livewell half filled, me(250), and all my tournament gear

3. Member
    07 20XHP
    06 225 ProXS
    26P Tempest+ 2.5" PTP
    6in hi-jacker
    1/2 Tank
    Empty LW
    Light Tournament Load
    Single power pole, dual 7s in the front, 9in in the back, livescope, fortrex, lithiums
    1 Person

76mph @ 5800 rpms, 60 degrees, 10mph tailwind, light mist

In more ideal conditions, a clean prop, a little less fuel, I think 78-79 is achievable. This boat is rated for a 250hp, maybe one day she'll be an 80mph rig.
    Last edited by outsidesmoke; 08-09-2021 at 01:27 PM.

4. Member
    189 TrX w/175 ProXS 4-stroke
    22” Tempest Plus
    2 7/8” ptp
    61-62 mph
    5720-5760 rpm
    1/2 tank gas
    livewell empty
    Minnkota Ultrex
    … thinking this rig might benefit from a prop change or prop blueprint work

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul L. View Post
    I thought it would be fun to hear some of the different models and motor combo top speed numbers.

(Please only post real numbers)

I will start.

06 TR21X DC
    06 Mercury 225 Pro XS
    6 in jack plate
    Best to date but still testing 77.78 GPS
    Half tank of fuel and light tourney load.. one person.
    1998 180 Premier with Mercury 150 EFI
    65 on speedo with a buddy and 1/2 tank of fuel.

6. Member
    2016 18 trx Mercury 200 Pro XS 24 Fury 3 in below pad
    66 mph in 80 degree water
    Was there only briefly as I am still battling with chine walk
    My tach was about 5400-5500

7. Member
    Hey bware. Did you ever try another prop? I have the same setup with my 2021 189TrX. I am getting a few more rpm's. Closer to 5900 to 5950 and getting between 62.1 to 62.5. I was thinking the same thing on a prop change. I haven't had mine long and have only run it during a bit cooler weather so didn't want to make a prop change until warmer water temps get here.

8. Banned
    It's crazy to me that yall with a 175 are only seeing 61-63. I've hit 61.3 in my 2014 18XS with a 150 Pro XS. I'd think a 175 would be pushing 64-65.

9. Member
    2018 18 trx, Mercury 150, Tempest 21 prop
    50 mph (GPS), 5500 rpm, water temp 47

10. Member
    2005 tr20x 05 225 opti 5700 rpm
    26 temp+ (mark croxton worked)
    6" detwiler hyd 2 1/2 ish ptp
    Full tackle 3/4+ tank
    2 people 73.1 gps
    Just sent a 27 temp to him to see what diff it makes

11. Member
    trimguy, ive got a 04 tr21 with 225 opti. worked 27 temp +, 3/8 to 1/2 tank and gear by myself only getting 69-70 at 5800 rpm. ptp is round 3"

12. Member
    Well I was able to get 63.2 out of my boat yesterday. 2021 189 TrX with 175 Pro XS. Water had a nice chop on it and the boat never chine walked when getting to that speed. I have always had a bit of a chine walk but could, for the most part, handle it. In the past I did notice if it started to chine walk I would lose speed. It shows if you can keep the chines out of the water you can pick up a little bit of speed. RPMs were about the same. usually running around 5900 to 5950 but when I got over 63 mph I hit 6050. This is with just me, all gear, a tad off a full tank of gas, and empty live wells. I think I will be happy with that.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rigit View Post
    Well I was able to get 63.2 out of my boat yesterday. 2021 189 TrX with 175 Pro XS. Water had a nice chop on it and the boat never chine walked when getting to that speed. I have always had a bit of a chine walk but could, for the most part, handle it. In the past I did notice if it started to chine walk I would lose speed. It shows if you can keep the chines out of the water you can pick up a little bit of speed. RPMs were about the same. usually running around 5900 to 5950 but when I got over 63 mph I hit 6050. This is with just me, all gear, a tad off a full tank of gas, and empty live wells. I think I will be happy with that.
    Hi Rigit, I did once try a friend’s 22” Fury 3 on my 189 TrX/175 Pro XS 4-stroke. That prop had similar top speed and RPM but maybe slightly better midrange accel. I’m still running the 22” Tempest and last time out before ice set in I did hit 63mph at 5900rpm. It was cooler that day (55 degrees). I don’t want to raise the engine any more (at 2 7/8” now) because at slower speeds I am feeling a little slip. I would like to try a 22” Bravo I FS and a 21” Tempest. Otherwise, a Croxton blueprint to my 22” Tempest might be beneficial for me.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bware View Post
    Hi Rigit, I did once try a friend’s 22” Fury 3 on my 189 TrX/175 Pro XS 4-stroke. That prop had similar top speed and RPM but maybe slightly better midrange accel. I’m still running the 22” Tempest and last time out before ice set in I did hit 63mph at 5900rpm. It was cooler that day (55 degrees). I don’t want to raise the engine any more (at 2 7/8” now) because at slower speeds I am feeling a little slip. I would like to try a 22” Bravo I FS and a 21” Tempest. Otherwise, a Croxton blueprint to my 22” Tempest might be beneficial for me.
    Thanks Bware. I think I am sticking with what I have. Boat performs well as it is. I really can't run it wide open on most of the lakes I fish anyway. Plus I purchased a 12 inch Lowrance Carbon to replace the 7 inch live that came on the boat so that pretty much did away with my prop budget. I do like the hole shot now no mater how it is loaded down. I am thinking I am about 2.5 P2P right now. Just guessing on how much I adjusted it from last time I measured. I may remeasure tonight when I get home. It kind of felt like I had a little prop slip in turns too but felt that way even with the motor trimmed down all the way. Had an older boat do that when I was given a prop that was a little to much and had terrible hole shot but would run great every other way. I decided to enlarge the vent holes (long ago before the vents were predrilled and had plugs) which helped hole shot but wanted to blow out around turns afterwards. Looking at the vent hole plugs on mine now, they are the largest ones. I may purchase some different sizes and try those to see what happens. They say it doesn't mater what size they are on top end but changing the boats direction and thus, I think, the water flow across the prop seems to me to make a difference. With mine it seems to do that when I turn left. The transducer is on the starboard side so was thinking it might be causing a little turbulence when turning left.

Well to update. The 63.2 was with a pretty good tail wind and really wanted to know how it would do with nothing pushing me. Finally had a calm day. it was flat. I ran about 60.6 to 61 or so at 5800 to 5850 rpms. Not at all where I wanted to be so took a shot in the dark and came up 1/4 inch. Took it back out and with full gas, me and a buddy, all of my gear and his, empty live wells it ran 62.3 to 62.5 and around 5900 to 5950 rpms. May have seen 6000 once. I filled up both livewells and only lost between 1/2 to 1 mph and hole shot was still awesome. Like nothing was loaded in the boat. Measured much more carefully when I got home and was about 2 3/8 P2P. I went ahead and raised it that 1/8 inch to put me right at 2.5 P2P as best I can tell. Don't think that 1/8 of an inch will really mater much but might get me to that 6000 rpm range I am looking for. Summer will be a whole new story with 80° water

Another update. I was reading somewhere that stated the tempest plus usually came standard with the medium size plugs. I have the large in mine so ordered and installed the medium. I will see how the all around performance is when I can get back to the lake.
    Last edited by Rigit; 03-17-2022 at 03:26 PM.

15. Member
    What hole is that motor set on..I got a 180 premier and only getting 54 out of it with a Johnson 150.

16. Member
    Thanks Bware. I think I am sticking with what I have. Boat performs well as it is. I really can't run it wide open on most of the lakes I fish anyway. Plus I purchased a 12 inch Lowrance Carbon to replace the 7 inch live that came on the boat so that pretty much did away with my prop budget. I do like the hole shot now no mater how it is loaded down. I am thinking I am about 2.5 P2P right now. Just guessing on how much I adjusted it from last time I measured. I may remeasure tonight when I get home. It kind of felt like I had a little prop slip in turns too but felt that way even with the motor trimmed down all the way. Had an older boat do that when I was given a prop that was a little to much and had terrible hole shot but would run great every other way. I decided to enlarge the vent holes (long ago before the vents were predrilled and had plugs) which helped hole shot but wanted to blow out around turns afterwards. Looking at the vent hole plugs on mine now, they are the largest ones. I may purchase some different sizes and try those to see what happens. They say it doesn't mater what size they are on top end but changing the boats direction and thus, I think, the water flow across the prop seems to me to make a difference. With mine it seems to do that when I turn left. The transducer is on the starboard side so was thinking it might be causing a little turbulence when turning left.

Well to update. The 63.2 was with a pretty good tail wind and really wanted to know how it would do with nothing pushing me. Finally had a calm day. it was flat. I ran about 60.6 to 61 or so at 5800 to 5850 rpms. Not at all where I wanted to be so took a shot in the dark and came up 1/4 inch. Took it back out and with full gas, me and a buddy, all of my gear and his, empty live wells it ran 62.3 to 62.5 and around 5900 to 5950 rpms. May have seen 6000 once. I filled up both livewells and only lost between 1/2 to 1 mph and hole shot was still awesome. Like nothing was loaded in the boat. Measured much more carefully when I got home and was about 2 3/8 P2P. I went ahead and raised it that 1/8 inch to put me right at 2.5 P2P as best I can tell. Don't think that 1/8 of an inch will really mater much but might get me to that 6000 rpm range I am looking for. Summer will be a whole new story with 80° water

Another update. I was reading somewhere that stated the tempest plus usually came standard with the medium size plugs. I have the large in mine so ordered and installed the medium. I will see how the all around performance is when I can get back to the lake.
    Wow, that’s great performance! But if you were at 2 3/8” and raised another 1/8” you are around 2 1/4” PTP, not 2 1/2”. Are you certain your measurements are correct? I think on Mark’s High Performance Props website there is a good instruction to measure PTP? By the way, I just sent him my 22” Tempest for a blueprint. Can’t wait for the ice to melt so I can try it out!

17. Member
    Wow, that’s great performance! But if you were at 2 3/8” and raised another 1/8” you are around 2 1/4” PTP, not 2 1/2”. Are you certain your measurements are correct? I think on Mark’s High Performance Props website there is a good instruction to measure PTP? By the way, I just sent him my 22” Tempest for a blueprint. Can’t wait for the ice to melt so I can try it out!
    Thanks bware! You are correct! I did misspeak. I did raise it another 1/8 inch though to see what would happen which did put me at 2 1/4. It put it on a previous mark I had made on the jackplate that I discovered last time was past the point of improvement. More rpms and less speed was duplicated as before at that mark. It was definitely to high. I ended up lowering it back down that 1/8 inch. Now with me blindly going up a 1/4 inch originally, I may have to lower it another 1/8 inch to see if I am still past the point of diminishing return. A lot of up and down but I think for my boat and my load I may be getting close. I think I will lower it to 2.5 and see what it does. I have a good idea of what 2 3/8 and know 2 1/4 is to high so will try 2 1/2. If it performs better than 2 3/8 I may lower it another 1/8. I am closing in on your height bware. You may already be where it needs to be. I will post my results. Hoping to get out this weekend. I always try to fill my gas tank so I am comparing each test as equally as I can.

18. Member
    Hey bware. I checked a prop calculator and it looks like you are getting about 5% slip with the tempest. That is awesome. My last setting at 2 1/4 that was to high put me about 10%. At the 2 3/8 I was getting about 8% which isn't horrible but obviously can do better. I think I will lower it to 2 1/2 and see where that puts me. I am hoping that will be where I need to be. Will see.

19. Member
    Hey bware. I checked a prop calculator and it looks like you are getting about 5% slip with the tempest. That is awesome. My last setting at 2 1/4 that was to high put me about 10%. At the 2 3/8 I was getting about 8% which isn't horrible but obviously can do better. I think I will lower it to 2 1/2 and see where that puts me. I am hoping that will be where I need to be. Will see.
    Yes, depending on the day, load, and conditions I was getting between 5-8% slip last year which is incredible to me too. As soon as I can I will update here with my newly blueprinted Tempest. Could be a few weeks though, still ice on lakes here.

20. Member
    Yes, depending on the day, load, and conditions I was getting between 5-8% slip last year which is incredible to me too. As soon as I can I will update here with my newly blueprinted Tempest. Could be a few weeks though, still ice on lakes here.
    Definitely post the results when your finally able. Went out today and P2P was about 2 1/2. Lake was rough. White caps with some pretty good rollers and a lot of boat traffic. I could tell the difference though. Much better at this height. When I could trim it all the way it had much better bow lift. Couldn't get top speed. Water temp around here already 70 degrees. Will post the numbers at this position when I get a chance.

Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3139404142 LastLast