Thread: Cashion rods

Cashion rods

Does anyone know who makes the Cashion rod blanks? USA? Thx

2. Member
    Anyone own any of these?

3. Member
    I have a cashion, not sure where the blank is made but it says made in USA. Whether that means assembled in USA or made 100% I have no idea
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

4. Member
    Can you give a pro/con review of the rod?

5. Member
    Absolutely.

I have the cashion elite 7’3” MH mod-fast flipping rod. Its really light and very sensitive for it being a flipping rod. I mostly use it for toads, swimbaits, and wobble heads. Even though it’s a flipping rod, it still has enough flex to get a frog to walk really well and a sweet parabolic bend. The carbon handle feels different at first but transitions vibrations really well through the blank and after a while I’ve become really fond of them. Not to mention the grips look sweet. I’m not a big fan of Eva and I hate Winn grips, I usually only want cork for comfort and sensitivity but these grips are right up there with cork once you get used to them. The other thing I really like is even though it supposedly has micro guides, they are just a hair larger than usual so a leader knot goes through without it catching at all.

My only complaint would be the handle and then rod sock it comes with. I have it paired up with a gen 3 Revo sx and the way it sits on the reel, the finger trigger/forward grip forces your index and middle finger to pinch against the gear housing of the reel. It gets uncomfortable and catch myself adjusting my grip every few casts. I also have small hands so that could be why. The rod sock comes with every cashion rod you buy I think and they are built so good I wish they used the same material and sold the separately. The tip of the rod sock catches on boat carpet when you put it in a rod locker. I’ve only fished with it 5 times and the shrink tubing top is already peeling.

pros: lightweight, sensitive, good guides and carbon handle
    cons: reel seat and grip is uncomfortable, the hook keeper in the trigger is useless, and the rod sock top grabs in the rod locker.

Overall: definitely won’t be my last cashion and I’m a St. Croix fanboy
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

6. Member
    ECobb, thanks for the review!

7. Member
    Must not be many users of these rods on here. Anybody else have any reviews of the worm, Carolina rod, or jig rods? Thx

I have several and I think the quality has gone down hill. (I will not own another) If you want a good quality rod made in the U.S. buy a ALX you will not be disappointed.

9. Member
    Larry,
    Can you really tell the difference in those grips with sensitivity vs any other handle of cork or foam? Your thoughts?

10. Member
    I have 12 cashion elites and like all of them except for 2 . The 7'6" frog rod is not stiff as I want for pulling fish out of slop. And the Carolina rig rod fells more like a crankbait rod. The chatterbait rod is awesome.
    2010 Xpress X21TS. 250 proXS
    2015 1860 grizzly. 40 Merc 4s

Quote Originally Posted by txsunfish View Post
    Larry,
    Can you really tell the difference in those grips with sensitivity vs any other handle of cork or foam? Your thoughts?
    I'm a guy who prefers cork over the hard grips. The sensitivity to me is a wash. Holding the 2 different types of grips for several hours the cork grips hands down for me is more comfortable. The Cashion is a good rod, the reason I bought his rods over the years is because his shop is about 45 minutes from where I work. All of my rods were custom and I could tell that his quality had dropped after moving to his new shop. My guess he was trying to put out more rods and quality has suffered. Someone on BBC recommended that I should try a ALX rod. The last 7 rods I've bought have been ALXs. That should say it all.

12. Member
    Larry,
    I like a solid cork handle as well. I guess I'll try an ALX.

Hog Pwr,
    The Carolina rod is what I was keying in on to so if thats no good then I'm out!

13. Banned
    I have not fished Cashion Rods so I can’t really comment specially on them but I’d recommend Falcon Cara rods over Alx. Falcon’s actions feel similar to Cashion off the rack but I can’t offer any real world comparisons. I find Alx rods to be heavy and lack sensitivity compared to Falcon.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hog power View Post
    I have 12 cashion elites and like all of them except for 2 . The 7'6" frog rod is not stiff as I want for pulling fish out of slop. And the Carolina rig rod fells more like a crankbait rod. The chatterbait rod is awesome.
    Hog which one is their chatterbait rod?

Owned one briefly...tip heavy, hate the Fuji ACS reel seats, and the grips were very uncomfortable. Not a fan.

16. Member
    Fluke,
    How was the sensitivity of the rod comparatively?