charge to have ECU checked out

My 1999 175 EFI (serial #0G944199) has been having issues since last year. It's been in the shop twice so far this year and I've spent about $1000 on it so far, only to find the problem is still there. The mechanic said the next step is going to be taking the ECU off and sending it in to be tested. He recommended sending it to CDI Electronics. He didn't know what it would cost to have that done. Any ideas on cost to have it tested? Thanks

2. Member
    Search here for ECU repairs, some other choices like Simmons and others.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

3. Member
    got any buds that might lend you known good one to try
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Banned
    Dennis Hoffman in Tennessee charges about 350 or so. He's the most honest one I have deal with. I had number 6 lean out twice before we figured out what it was. I was told a fuel driver was bad in the ecu, sent it to him for a second opinion and he said nothing was wrong with the ECU. He could have charged me and I would have never known the difference. He even pointed me in the righ direction on my problem, changed the fuel curve in the box and raised the rev limiter to fit my porting. Motor runs great now.

5. Member
    I Second Hoffman Also

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Eric Simon has done several for us, with excellent results.

http://www.simonperformancetechnology.com/ (BBC Sponsor).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Banned
    I'd just do your reaseach on who to send an ECU to for repairs. Lots of horror stories out there of ECU's sent off only to have a non working ECU when you get it back. Been there done that as well as several friends who have had similar results. Not a lot out there who can successfully repair and even fewer that can change fuel curves, raise rev limiters, etc.

9. Member
    ^^^^^^^ agree