Thread: V8 vs SHO ??

Prairieville, Louisiana / Zolfo Springs, Florida

V8 vs SHO ??

Has anyone compared the New V8's to the SHO? On water comparison not paper..

2. BBC SPONSOR
    V8 is available

3. Member
    Are you interested in comparing Mercury PB's with Yamaha PB's or are you looking for reports only from actual owners?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    Are you interested in comparing Mercury PB's with Yamaha PB's or are you looking for reports only from actual owners?
    Actual owners as I know the SHO has a killer hole shot and would like to know real world how the V8 stacks up.. Don't really need opinions just hard facts.

Zero experience with a SHO but own a v8 that also has a killer holeshot. I have a friend with a 20’ skeeter/250sho and I have a ranger 1880ms with 200v8 and the ranger walks the skeeter hard on top end.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Northwoodswalleye View Post
    Zero experience with a SHO but own a v8 that also has a killer holeshot. I have a friend with a 20’ skeeter/250sho and I have a ranger 1880ms with 200v8 and the ranger walks the skeeter hard on top end.
    your post makes me happy.. just ordered a 200 pro!!
    Nitro2023 triton allure 250 proxs
    Garmin marine
    prostaff

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Northwoodswalleye View Post
    250 SHO puts out around 275HP. There is no legal way the 200 V8 puts out close to 275HP. You can race my 1700lb multispecies rig with 250 SHO and I will be faster out of the hole and top speed. Can't compare different motors on different hulls. My guess is the SHO will be better on fuel having 2 less cylinders and similar in performance. I think the V8 sounds better than the SHO. I own a SHO but would rather have the Merc based on dealer network in Wisconsin.

8. Member
    most boat races are NOT won by horsepower. They are won by setup and driver skill... I own a 19' bass cat with a 2014 merc pro xs 200 that will run 78 GPS when the weather is really cool. We ran a Phoenix with a 250 yesterday and pulled away from him by about 2 mph, running 74.3 on Lay lake (2 adults, 3/4 tank of fuel, cocker spaniel and normal fishing tackle but live well empty). All about setup (prop, height, balance, etc). I've seen the same boat configuration that would not break 65. And a similar boat that could, but the driver could not control it and prevent chine walking.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

9. Member
    There's not going to be much difference between the two. One will be a little quicker out of the hole, a little faster up top, a little better fuel economy, but nothing major over the other.
    I haven't had a chance to ride in a boat with one yet but have talked to several that have ridden and a couple owners of them.
    They've all said the v8 is a little quicker out of the hole than the 2 stoke and sounded cool but it runs the same top end.

The only person I've heard rave over how much better and faster the v8 is has a merc badge on his pro staff jersey.
    I did one on the same hull I run last weekend and if I see him again I'm going to see if I can talk him in to a drag race against my sho

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Connor- let's go ahead and get you a 250 ordered... get with Wayne Worthy or one of the others and have them order you a SHO at the same time. First race is to see which one lands at the dealership (fresh build) first.

We should rig the Merc first since your boat is already mostly rigged... then when you're done running it you can have the SHO rigged up. Whichever one you don't like you should be able to move on the Motors for Sale forum since you'll have lots of performance data to go with it.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    Don if I had your money that’s exactly what I would do !! LOL

I have a 250 SHO and it runs great and has good hole shot. Without having the opportunity to run the new Merc V8 I am going to guess that a V8 motor of similar displacement is going to accelerate faster and have a better hole shot just because of the operating dynamics and design advantages of an 8 cylinder vs a 6.
    Last edited by Ranger519VS; 09-18-2018 at 09:56 PM.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spider1 View Post
    Don if I had your money that’s exactly what I would do !! LOL
    More like you wouldn't even have a boat....

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger519VS View Post
    I have a 250 SHO and it runs great and has good hole shot. Without having the opportunity to run the new Merc V8 I am going to guess that a V8 motor of similar displacement is going to accelerate faster and have a better hole shot just because of the operating dynamics and design advantages of an 8 cylinder vs a 6.
    The 2 extra cylinders make it sound better and slightly more efficient at fuel burn because a smaller bore of 92mm vs 96mm should be more efficient depending on the valve curtain area, but the Yamaha has a longer stroke of 96mm vs 86mm which favors more torque as well as it has variable cam timing which maximizes the dynamic compression ratio and the reason it requires 89 octane over the 87 octane of the bigger Mercury. Not sure if those are enough to overcome the .4 Liters in displacement it gives up or which engine has longer intake and exhaust runners that promote more torque, though would love to see a drag race between the two on the same boat as Evinrude did with the 150hp G1 and 4-stroke Mercury.