Z 18 livewell empties

2 buddies of mine have new z18 s and when they make a long run their livewells empty. What are they doing wrong, thanks.

2. California Fishing Moderator Captain Babito A7T3C's Avatar
    Is the red nozzle in the drain/pulled out position? Can't really think of a reason it would drain otherwise. If you were purposely draining you'd have water spitting out the side and it'd be impossible to miss..
    2017 Nitro Z18 - Mercury ProXS 175 - 24P Fury - Elite 9 TI2 - Fortrex

3. Member
    Do they have the drain plug in the bottom of the livewell.
    2015 Nitro Z-7 175 Pro XS

4. Member
    I know several people who have to stop and refill their livewells in the middle of long runs. (not Nitro boats) They think the prop is creating suction and pulling water out of the inlet for the fill pump. I doesn't seem like this would be possible but I don't have a better answer.
    Chris

2020 Nitro Z19 Pro w/ 200 ProXS

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C0MRAD View Post
    I know several people who have to stop and refill their livewells in the middle of long runs. (not Nitro boats) They think the prop is creating suction and pulling water out of the inlet for the fill pump. I doesn't seem like this would be possible but I don't have a better answer.
    This was the explanation I was given too. Fished the 1000 islands bfl last year and was paired up with a guy from PA. We had to stop twice on the run back to fill the livewell. The last time there was close to no water left in it
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

6. Member
    So there seems to be no true fix?

7. Member
    there should be a screw in plug for the bottom of the live well. If it is not in the water will drain out when on plane.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    So there seems to be no true fix?
    Two people have asked if the plug is screwed in the bottom of the well. If yes, then we can diagnose it from there. Usually, the simplest solution is the correct one.

9. Member
    I will ask them, i was hoping they would read this and join in on the discussion

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    I will ask them, i was hoping they would read this and join in on the discussion
    If the plug is seated then the only way water escapes is through the pump out. What's more, if the plug is not seated then the livewell will only fill was high as the waterline on the outside of the boat. (Archimedes' principle) If the plug is out, then; of course, the water will evacuate when the boat is on plane. Barring a cracked livewell, which would be noticeable when the bilge pump kicks on, I would say the plug is not positioned. The reason I know this is because I came from another boat brand that had a remote valve as opposed to the Nitro plug.

11. Member
    Close the valves once livewell is full, after a long run you may have to add a little water to replace what goes out the overflow, but it won't be empty.

12. Member
    My 2018 z18's livewell for some reason completely emptied on me while shooting across the lake this past weekend. I usually have had it set with the aerator on manual,. On real hot day I put it on auto and it spits and fills every 10 minutes or so. I don't understand what happened this trip but I haven't had this problem in the past.