Thread: V8 Oil Quantity

V8 Oil Quantity

2B571507. 2019 250 Pro XS 4S. Getting ready to do my 20 hr. oil change but my dealer still hasn't sent my Mercury owners manual. How much oil do I need to buy with filter change?

I don't have my book with me....but from memory it was 7 quarts of 10W30.

3. Member
    You will need 7 quarts of 10w-30 FCW but do not fill it up to the top bead ( mine will smoke on startup when filled to the top mark). I find if the level is just to the last crosshatched block it doesn't smoke. It takes a long time for the oil level to settle and get a correct reading so be patient.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

4. Member
    Thank you gentlemen..

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by howieranger View Post
    You will need 7 quarts of 10w-30 FCW but do not fill it up to the top bead ( mine will smoke on startup when filled to the top mark). I find if the level is just to the last crosshatched block it doesn't smoke. It takes a long time for the oil level to settle and get a correct reading so be patient.
    +1

The 10W30 Synthetic Blend Fourstroke Oil is an excellent (and the recommended) choice for this engine model.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Do you have to change the engine oil after 20hours? I don’t see anything in the manual about that it only says every 100 hours

7. Member
    You don't have to but it is cheap insurance, especially the lower unit oil.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

8. Member
    I just dropped my boat off today because I think I’m a victim of the not adjusted throttle so I told them to change the lower unit oil I’m at 15 hours and rule of thumb for me was always lower unit oil at the first 20 hours

9. mikesxpress
    Mercury provides the maintenance schedule for LU and engine oil in the manual. IMO anything else is over kill.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Never once heard someone with an engine that bit the dust that wouldn't have gone back and done 1 more maintenance if it would have made a difference.

As stated many times- 20 hour service is NOT mandatory. It is however a wise investment in the longevity of your engine.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor