How to seal live wells on RT188.

I want to use my live wells in my RT188 for storing my boat bumpers without getting them wet. Even with the plug in I always get a little water which, as I fish Grand Lake, makes my bumpers & the ropes on them dirty. Probably wouldn't be a problem if I fished a clean water lake. I don't know where the water is coming in; I assume through the drain plug. I've tried sealing with silicon around the drain plug but it doesn't work. Will greatly appreciate any ideas for sealing it off & keeping it dry. I don't want to seal them permanently. Thanks.

2. Member
    I had to really crank down on the top fitting to keep water from being forced in.

I guess I'd put an empty bucket in the live well and go for a ride. If it is coming in from the bottom, the bucket will float. If it is coming in from the top fitting, the bucket will have water in it.

3. Member
    You could also try plugging the livewell overflow and the livewell intake at the back of the boat (on the outside of the boat). The intake is probably letting the water in but you may need to plug both just to be safe.
    "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

plug the overflow...
    2013 Pre-Johnny Ranger RT 178
    115 PRO XS
    Due to the increase of ammunition prices... There will be no warning shots
    Honda certified Master technician 33 Years

5. Banned
    Place your switch to recirculate instead of empty should help