BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar

livewell drain project

here is a little mod one of my buddy's did today, he likes drilling holes in boats about as much as me, he installed a couple of shut off valves and installed the controls in a convent location.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

2. Member
    Man I wish Phoenix would make this an option. As well as putting the drain on the bottom so all the livewell water would drain.

3. Member
    Awesome idea, I can't do this.. I wouldn't be able to fit the bench when I need too.
    Shawn.D
    2015 Phoenix 618pro w/ 150 Evinrude Etec HO

4. Member
    Alright Drewtick....I need more pics of this. I would love to put this on my boat. Interested in how he routed the cables and how the installation for the plugs went in the livewells?
    Thank you sir!! :)
    2017 721 Pro XP
    250 ProXS
    Twin 8' PP blades
    Humminbird 12 at dash and 10 at bow
    Ultrex 112

5. Member
    It's not plugs, its valves that go in the drain hose, like this

6. Member
    Thank you kry29. I guess I should have chosen my words a little better. I was wondering if there were adjustments that you need to make for the pop-in style plugs we have in our Bird livewells so the screened filter works, and also how he routed the cable for the valves to that part of the Bird? Thank you for the video though. That is helpful as well. :)
    2017 721 Pro XP
    250 ProXS
    Twin 8' PP blades
    Humminbird 12 at dash and 10 at bow
    Ultrex 112

7. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    did not add a screen filter, just installed the valves as seen in the video in the drain line and removed rubber plugs, the cables go under the live wells and through the fuel line holes. a screen would help keep trash out of the valves but will require changing the fitting in the livewells
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    info@drewcraft.com

8. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I think he must have gotten the "drilling holes" from you....

I had the Flowrite valve system on my Skeeter and didnt care for it to much.....yes it was convenient but it never sealed the lw's from water entering or emptying out......even bought the repair kit that had new valve flappers (rubber) and it still leaked water.....when i got my bird i was glad to have the rubber plugs..... Now i'll say that the Skeeter system was more than just "empty", it was fill/recirculate/empty.......maybe the one post above will be better than as a single function valve vs. tri-function......

But none the less, great addition to ones boat if they want to have it.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    I think he must have gotten the "drilling holes" from you....

I had the Flowrite valve system on my Skeeter and didnt care for it to much.....yes it was convenient but it never sealed the lw's from water entering or emptying out......even bought the repair kit that had new valve flappers (rubber) and it still leaked water.....when i got my bird i was glad to have the rubber plugs..... Now i'll say that the Skeeter system was more than just "empty", it was fill/recirculate/empty.......maybe the one post above will be better than as a single function valve vs. tri-function......

But none the less, great addition to ones boat if they want to have it.
    My old Ranger had the switches too. Never really worked great. I too was happy to see the proven low tech system of just pulling a plug. Guaranteed to work.
    Phoenix 921ProXP Mercury 250 ProXS

10. Member
    Had the Flowrite valve system in my Legend, worked fine for awhile then became difficult to close and open. The handle cracked off after about a year. Really like the proven low tech plug on my Phoenix.

11. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    For the guys that may or plan on doing the install, get the quick connect fittings that they show on the video.....it will make install 1000% easier and easier to remove in the future for cleaning and such.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

12. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    For the guys that may or plan on doing the install, get the quick connect fittings that they show on the video.....it will make install 1000% easier and easier to remove in the future for cleaning and such.
    I agree , this is a big improvement over the old style, they can easily be replaced when they give trouble.

I will probably stick with my rubber stoppers, I use the pump out anyway for the most part. just wanted to share the info for those who want to do the mod.
    info@drewcraft.com

Looks cool, but the fundamental problem of the undrained cup of crawdad/shad bacteria-frappe water remains. I bought a cheap wet vac to suck the water out as part of my tournament postflight. It will also suck the gunk caught in the recirc and pump out screens nicely without unscrewing them.

They really should have put the drains at the bottom of the livewells.

14. Member
    Go to the local janitorial supplt house and get a bottle of Enzyme producing bacteria. Pour some in the drains.

15. Member
    Man those things break like crazy! I love the Phoenix simple solution. Stick a plug in if you want it to fill. Take it out of you dont. If you worried about undrained water stinking then get v2 vents and use a shop vac when you need it

16. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    update: so today my friend added screens to everything in the live well, so now all water going through the drain will be filtered of larger objects
    Attached Images Attached Images
    info@drewcraft.com