Fishing seat question

My new boat (2018 PT 175 TF) has the Springfield 2-3/8 plug in pedestals. I need to have a taller seat post, and have gotten used to using a lean against seat. What are some of the solutions you guys are using?

2. Member
    This LINK might help. They seem to have many different style post fittings.

My pedestal has a 3/4 inch fitting on the top, so I can put any 3/4 inch seat on it I want. I even raised mine with a 3/4 inch post, and then put my original seat back on top.

http://www.springfieldgrp.com/pedestals

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by richg99 View Post
    This LINK might help. They seem to have many different style post fittings.

My pedestal has a 3/4 inch fitting on the top, so I can put any 3/4 inch seat on it I want. I even raised mine with a 3/4 inch post, and then put my original seat back on top.

http://www.springfieldgrp.com/pedestals
    Thanks for the link. I guess what i'm looking for is any imput on if one is any better than the other (brand or style). I really don't want to sink a bunch of cash on a pedestal that won't be coming out of the garage.

One thing to keep in mind is that these type of pedestals are tapered.

If you try to cut one down to the correct height you can pretty much forget about getting it to fit.

You can take a narrow piece of paper, wrap and tape it tight around one end of the pedestal then try to slide it to the other end.

The taper is subtle but it's there. Anyway, this info might help prevent a costly mistake.

I bought a adjustable height pedestal from Springfield and so far it's been what I've needed.

5. Member
    I just cut down my 2 3/8th seat post by three inches. You have to cut from the top, not the tapered bottom.

I had to drive the plastic sleeve out after I cut. If I was only cutting one inch or so, then it would be a lot more trouble. Three inches was past the end of the sleeve, so I drove it out with a piece of metal, by banging the end of the metal on the floor.

Looks like it will work out well. I bought an "S" curved 3/4 inch style seat post. I am adding it to my cut-down 2 3/8ths post. I haven't tried it yet. We shall see.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by haptime View Post
    One thing to keep in mind is that these type of pedestals are tapered.

If you try to cut one down to the correct height you can pretty much forget about getting it to fit.

You can take a narrow piece of paper, wrap and tape it tight around one end of the pedestal then try to slide it to the other end.

The taper is subtle but it's there. Anyway, this info might help prevent a costly mistake.

I bought a adjustable height pedestal from Springfield and so far it's been what I've needed.
    Are you using a regular fishing seat or a Butt Seat? Reason I ask, on my old boat, I used a 15" pedestal for my regular seat, and an adjustable for the butt seat when I used it. I will probably go with a 22" - 29" adjustable and get another butt seat.

7. Member
    Just an update on my addition of an "S" curved post onto my 2 3/8ths post. It did NOT work out well.

The 2 3/8ths post has a 3/4 plastic insert in it. When I trimmed the three inches off, I re-inserted that piece.

Today, I put the "S" curved 3/4 inch post in and added the seat. When I tried sitting in it, the "S" curved post moved away from me. That was normal. After it settled in and I tried to sit on it, it seemed to me that the short "S" post was pulling out of the plastic insert. I didn't put my full weight on it but I felt that I would have fallen down if I had tried. I think that the plastic insert isn't stiff enough to take the side-pressure from the "S" shaped post. I suppose I could pour some sort of solid 3/4 female insert for the 2 3/8ths post, but I don't want to take a chance of slipping or falling.

I'll save the "S" post and use it on my other tinny. It has 3/4 posts all of the way throughout. The plastic inserts on those posts are very solid and are supported on all sides due to the thinner post.
    Just FYI. rich

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by richg99 View Post
    Just an update on my addition of an "S" curved post onto my 2 3/8ths post. It did NOT work out well.

The 2 3/8ths post has a 3/4 plastic insert in it. When I trimmed the three inches off, I re-inserted that piece.

Today, I put the "S" curved 3/4 inch post in and added the seat. When I tried sitting in it, the "S" curved post moved away from me. That was normal. After it settled in and I tried to sit on it, it seemed to me that the short "S" post was pulling out of the plastic insert. I didn't put my full weight on it but I felt that I would have fallen down if I had tried. I think that the plastic insert isn't stiff enough to take the side-pressure from the "S" shaped post. I suppose I could pour some sort of solid 3/4 female insert for the 2 3/8ths post, but I don't want to take a chance of slipping or falling.

I'll save the "S" post and use it on my other tinny. It has 3/4 posts all of the way throughout. The plastic inserts on those posts are very solid and are supported on all sides due to the thinner post.
    Just FYI. rich
    i did the same as you. Pounded the plastic back in and it is loose and the seats wobble. Should have put glue or epoxy on them. O well
    2015 189 trx

9. Member
    Oh, my plastic isn't at all loose. But, the "grabbers" that hold onto the 3/4 spindle are not solid, like they are on my other tinny's 3/4 posts. The "grabbers" on this boat are separated like small fins or vanes.

I think that Solid would be far more supportive. Of course, hanging my too-large-butt out on a lever like the "S" curved post isn't fair to any plastic. Ha Ha