If the Attwood ASM valve fails, would there possibly be a severe gas smell?

I have a 2016 Tracker 175, garage kept, and last week noticed a strong gas smell when I went to the garage. I went fishing and noticed a strong gas smell, especially when idling around. I checked all the hoses, nothing wet. The bilge smelled like someone poured some gas in it. I washed out the bilge twice and went to the lake today. Same severe smell, especially when idling. So strong I had to come home, was choking me. Bilge is bone dry, hoses dry. Under the cowl smells fine. Wondering if it's the ASM valve?

2. Member
    I had a similar experience, different boat. This attwood valve was cracked and causing the issue -

https://nvnmarine.com/products/20174...hoCJg4QAvD_BwE

3. Member
    Not sure if my boat has that, I'll look. Would that valve be on the tank or under the cowl? The valve I'm going to replace is this one:

attwood 9300FDV7 Universal Fuel Demand Valve for 3/8-Inch and 5/16-Inch Fuel Hoses https://a.co/d/9DohCj2

4. Member
    Yes. You are on the right track. I keep a spare handy. Seems like I read a lot about them cracking. I have replaced two that were leaking myself. It would seem to me that with batteries and chargers back there, they would be safer about gss fumes. That is probably your problem.

I am referring to the valve linked by reelblues.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFlyer View Post
    Yes. You are on the right track. I keep a spare handy. Seems like I read a lot about them cracking. I have replaced two that were leaking myself. It would seem to me that with batteries and chargers back there, they would be safer about gss fumes. That is probably your problem.

I am referring to the valve linked by reelblues.
    Thanks. When yours failed, did you have a strong fume smell from your bilge?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reelblues View Post
    Not sure if my boat has that, I'll look. Would that valve be on the tank or under the cowl? The valve I'm going to replace is this one:

attwood 9300FDV7 Universal Fuel Demand Valve for 3/8-Inch and 5/16-Inch Fuel Hoses https://a.co/d/9DohCj2
    Yes, those fuel demand valves are prone to leaking because of the pressure build up, and you will smell the fuel. It has something to do with EPA regulations that changed a few years ago, and the lack of venting imposed now. I had that happen in my last two boats and I could actually see the fuel on the tank around that valve.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    You’d think that the gas tank filler cap would release pressure before the fuel demand valve would fail. I don’t think it’s meant to be a “release” valve. That being said I had to replace the valve on my 2014 RT188 after a couple of years and it’s been fine since. Both my 2018 boats have not had a problem.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reelblues View Post
    Thanks. When yours failed, did you have a strong fume smell from your bilge?
    YES... I did. You would think with gas fumes and electrical in the same compartment that they would be more durable. But, yes it causes a gas small. I carry a spare now.
    RT188

9. Member
    Has anyone replaced one on a 198P? Mine is a 2017. It’s behind the drivers seat, behind the aluminum bulkhead that runs behind both seats. I will have to cut an access port in the bulkhead to replace the valve. The bulkhead is not removable. So much fun. A major design flaw that did not consider a future replacement of the valve.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by kacordy View Post
    Has anyone replaced one on a 198P? Mine is a 2017. It’s behind the drivers seat, behind the aluminum bulkhead that runs behind both seats. I will have to cut an access port in the bulkhead to replace the valve. The bulkhead is not removable. So much fun. A major design flaw that did not consider a future replacement of the valve.
    Considering how long the RT188 was in production prior to the intro of the 198P, not having easy access to the fuel demand valve is borderline criminal. Whoever the numbskull is that made that decision should have to replace them full time for a year.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kacordy View Post
    That's one of the dumbest boat design thoughts I ever heard of.... it is hard to believe that they did that. WTH were they thinking? My RT has one that is right there in front of you when you open the lid for battery and fuel compartment...just sitting right there exposed.
    RT188