Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    Get her a Savage 7mm08 youth model...then borrow it from her
    Last edited by Babe Winkleworm; 10-14-2018 at 08:04 PM.
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

2. Member
    Ah, the never-ending debate over the ideal deer cartridge.....

My neighbors (father and son) are getting more into deer hunting this year and asked my advice before buying. I recommended the .308, 7mm-08, or 6.5 Creed but really anything in that class is fine so long as it's a short action round. I'm a fan of the 7mm-08 but can find no fault with the 6.5. The dad bought a .308 and the son got the 6.5 Creed. I think they'll be happy.

3. Member
    i got hold of a 44 mag ruger about 20 years ago it was the first gun for two sons 3 neice,s 1 nephew and my fav gun for thick woods . a semi auto with almost zero recoil and a bunch of nockdown power

4. Member
    But she sure will hear it. Please get some ear protection if you follow this advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Basser100 View Post
    Put a muzzle break on the 6.5 and she will never feel the kick. Also have a simms butt pad installed to fit her and you will not have any issues.

5. Member
    243 with Hornady SST 95gr will stop anything you're going to shoot at, I use mine in Texas and have shot upwards of 20 deer and in the ballpark of 75 hogs and the combo of bullet and cartridge is hard to beat. I've used bunch of larger calibers down there over the years from 30-06, 308, 7mm, 300win, 25-06, 270 and with 9 guys on my lease they're switching over to that combination of 95gr SST in 243 because it's so deadly. The kick is minimal but if she has a problem with it they do have an 87gr 243 Lite with reduced recoil that should do the trick.

Oh and for reference i'm shooting a Stainless/Synthetic Tikka T3 Lite that is a tack driver out of the box and wont break the bank. I just bought another one at Scheels in Utah for $650 for a stainless gun that's hard to beat.

6. Member
    I firmly believe a .270 is the perfect deer round. But to each there own.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Champ187elite View Post
    For a woman of slight build? Good cartridge though. I shoot a .25-06 myself because I think a lot can be done when reloading. I bought a 7mm-08 for my daughter since most people recommended it.

8. Member
    I am an old Fart and don't give a rats rear end for a gun that kicks. Buy her a high quality .243 (i shoot a browning a-bolt and love it), no kick whatsoever very nice gun to shoot. I have dropped seven in a row in there tracks.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ABHcustoms View Post
    I am an old Fart and don't give a rats rear end for a gun that kicks. Buy her a high quality .243 (i shoot a browning a-bolt and love it), no kick whatsoever very nice gun to shoot. I have dropped seven in a row in there tracks.
    They settled this back in Sept. when she chose a .308. Now we're waiting for pics of her with a trophy buck.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ky-triton View Post
    For a woman of slight build? Good cartridge though. I shoot a .25-06 myself because I think a lot can be done when reloading. I bought a 7mm-08 for my daughter since most people recommended it.
    Its what I have shot since I was 12, When we are deer hunting in MN you are usually layered up pretty good because of the cold so you dont feel much when you shoot. Might be a little different for someone in GA. Have a couple of buddies that really like the .25-06 as well.

11. Member
    7/08 without a doubt.

12. Member
    .243 all day long

13. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Im fixing to buy my daughter either a savage or Ruger american in 243.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SOONER*REDNECK View Post
    Im fixing to buy my daughter either a savage or Ruger american in 243.
    Looks like the .243 is the way you're headed.Have you looked at the 6.5 Creedmoor,my wife has one and really likes it.Recoil in not bad and it shoots tight groups.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    They settled this back in Sept. when she chose a .308. Now we're waiting for pics of her with a trophy buck.
    I have the .308 she went with the Savage 6.5 Creedmoor and happy with It at the range shoots tight groups.She's excited about the 8 pt. we seen on camera,hope she gets it.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by riverc View Post
    I have the .308 she went with the Savage 6.5 Creedmoor and happy with It at the range shoots tight groups.She's excited about the 8 pt. we seen on camera,hope she gets it.
    I thought she wanted the .308? Did she change her mind? Doesn't really matter, both are great calibers for deer. Exactly what the father and son next door bought to step-up their deer hunting game this year. The son shot a 525 lb moose with the Creedmoor last week. Hit it a little high on the shoulder, pass through, went 25' and dropped dead.

Good luck to you both and enjoy the time together. Not many men get to say their wife wants to take up deer hunting. Don't forget to post pics.

17. Member
    I just bought the managed recoil ammo for my 3006. Even a lighter grain projectile will help.
    308 and 3006 can't be beat in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Champ187elite View Post
    Mine had been completely effective but perfect depends on the use. There are better options for a small frame shooter that will kill deer just as dead.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123