Got new prop, have questions.

I've got a 2017 Pro Team 175txw, 75hp 4 stroke. Ran 38 with stock prop. Motor is only down one hole. I live on a canal with lots of muck and shallow spots where I hit bottom. (I'm 290 lb and with a 75 it sits pretty low at idle -alone.) I busted half a blade off and I bought a PowerTech RED3 13.25" x 17P SS prop. Tried it just for a couple of minutes today, (I really wanted to straighten it on the trailer- it always loads crooked- so I could add two more bunks.) I got 41.59 GPS @ 5000 RPM (indicated). It never blows out, but it gets chine walk right at 41.
    Sooo, I can switch props for about $100 w/shipping, if I don't scratch it and pull it back off. Should I drop an inch of pitch to get the rpm up, (I don't know if it would go faster rpms trimmed up more cause it gets wild.) Raise the motor a hole? The RED3 is an all around prop. My hole shot is great, I don't think there was any big change. Does raising the motor raise RPMs? Mercury says 4500-5500 top rpm.

2. Banned
    I can only turn 5200 max with a 17.

Quote Originally Posted by onrecess View Post
    I've got a 2017 Pro Team 175txw, 75hp 4 stroke. Ran 38 with stock prop. Motor is only down one hole. I live on a canal with lots of muck and shallow spots where I hit bottom. (I'm 290 lb and with a 75 it sits pretty low at idle -alone.) I busted half a blade off and I bought a PowerTech RED3 13.25" x 17P SS prop. Tried it just for a couple of minutes today, (I really wanted to straighten it on the trailer- it always loads crooked- so I could add two more bunks.) I got 41.59 GPS @ 5000 RPM (indicated). It never blows out, but it gets chine walk right at 41.
    Sooo, I can switch props for about $100 w/shipping, if I don't scratch it and pull it back off. Should I drop an inch of pitch to get the rpm up, (I don't know if it would go faster rpms trimmed up more cause it gets wild.) Raise the motor a hole? The RED3 is an all around prop. My hole shot is great, I don't think there was any big change. Does raising the motor raise RPMs? Mercury says 4500-5500 top rpm.
    So you are in the second hole from the top. I would raise the motor one hole. That is best for any prop you run. You will gain anywhere between 150 and 250 rpms. You should get up to 42 mph. Chime walking really doesn’t happen until over 60mph on a pad hull. On our hulls what you are feeling is what I call squirrelyness. It’s because the motor is all you have in the water ( it’s to deep) and the V keel is getting a bit every so often from one side to the other. I have the similar prop you have but for my 60hp. I don’t think you’ll need to drop a pitch. Just raise the motor and you’ll be happy.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

4. Member
    I had to lower my motor all the way down at 7" below the bottom, The higher i went the more squirrely mine got. Never really felt squirrely until after 45mph though
    Andy

2004 Pro Craft 192 SuperPro

Quote Originally Posted by aarchdale View Post
    I had to lower my motor all the way down at 7" below the bottom, The higher i went the more squirrely mine got. Never really felt squirrely until after 45mph though
    I wonder if your problems is contributed to you flash. You seem to be opposite from what works for everyone else. Just curious

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

6. Member
    Thanks, everyone. That's great, I'll raise it up a hole.
    As an added bonus, I have a day off tomorrow so I can go fishing without worrying about scratching the prop! I was unhappy because I stopped under a bridge setting up my gps speedo on my phone. At idle speed I hit a rock and killed the engine. I thought I screwed the pooch 1st shot out of the box. I was surprised when I pulled the boat out and couldn't find a single mark or trace. Maybe SS will last.
    Oh, and the squirrlyness did seem to start with the slightest jet ski wake. There were dozens and they were everywhere.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorglenn View Post
    I wonder if your problems is contributed to you flash. You seem to be opposite from what works for everyone else. Just curious

I wish i knew, but yeah mine is definitely opposite from everyone and i cant figure out why. IT runs pretty good with the 24p Trophy. Most days i run about 47, hit 49 once with the wind at my back and some major chop. I even tried a 26P laser and could barely run 40 without it blowing out, tried it at 4" under bottom and at 6"
    Andy

2004 Pro Craft 192 SuperPro

Quote Originally Posted by aarchdale View Post
    I wish i knew, but yeah mine is definitely opposite from everyone and i cant figure out why. IT runs pretty good with the 24p Trophy. Most days i run about 47, hit 49 once with the wind at my back and some major chop. I even tried a 26P laser and could barely run 40 without it blowing out, tried it at 4" under bottom and at 6"
    PM Sent

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.