Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    I have problems with my Gen 3 9”. It concerns sonar logs. When I playback sonar logs in the structure mode, it pauses and reboots. I’ve tried soft and hard resets, I’ve reformatted the sad card and have even sent it back to the factory......still have the same problem. And yes, I’ve rolled back the update and it still does the same thing. It’s under warranty so I’ll probably be sending it back again.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dyoung9121 View Post
    I have problems with my Gen 3 9”. It concerns sonar logs. When I playback sonar logs in the structure mode, it pauses and reboots. I’ve tried soft and hard resets, I’ve reformatted the sad card and have even sent it back to the factory......still have the same problem. And yes, I’ve rolled back the update and it still does the same thing. It’s under warranty so I’ll probably be sending it back again.
    I have Gen3's, NO legacy units or accessories in my network. Running Latest .142

My console graph 2D stops randomly and depth goes to dashes.
    My front graph I have spotlight scan, Down imaging appears like contrast is turned all the way down.

Several reboots and and reloading software, the only thing that fixes the issue/s is rolling back. I will stay at the version before 18.2 came out.

I just hope Lowrance does not leave us Gen3 users hanging with no more software support, since the new HDS live units came out.

I have contacted Lowrance and had a case opened a week or so after 18.2 came out and I started having problems.

3. Member
    I have two Gen 3 9's at the console and have the same issues with sonar and structure scan views locking up after updating to 18.2 .134 and then again with .142 when it came out thinking it would solve things. Luckly, the chart screens still worked as I needed my boat lanes map to return.

I did notice that by staying on a non sonar page while I fished up front for an hour or so the sonar pages would start working again but only for a few minutes. I have also now rolled back to the my previous version.

4. Member
    Mine pauses, goes, pauses again, etc. Just skipping allng making the picture look like crap. I have new update on both my gen 3 hds 9s.

5. Mike Lamb
    I have Gen3 units and have the same issue. I had to roll back the version of software for it to work. When are they going to come out with a good update?
    Michael Lamb
    2017 / Ranger 518c 200 Mercury Pro XS
    Raleigh, NC

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike28nc View Post
    I have Gen3 units and have the same issue. I had to roll back the version of software for it to work. When are they going to come out with a good update?
    I have Carbon and Gen 3 & 3D in network. Carbon has 18.2 and gen 3 has older soft. Anyway, networked Carbon sometimes restarts and 2D sonar freezes. 83/200 ducer is connected to Gen 3 with older soft, but sonar freezes on Gen 3 too. Seems networked Carbon and his 18.2 has influence to Gen 3. ? Went back to earlier soft on carbon. Will check after few days.
    Lowrance HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-9 Live, 3D , Elite FS , Lowrance 360 Vision, Activetarget , Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI G3, Humminbird Mega 360 , Garmin Echomap & Livescope
    Volzhanka 46F, Yamaha 60 hp

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaak View Post
    I have Carbon and Gen 3 & 3D in network. Carbon has 18.2 and gen 3 has older soft. Anyway, networked Carbon sometimes restarts and 2D sonar freezes. 83/200 ducer is connected to Gen 3 with older soft, but sonar freezes on Gen 3 too. Seems networked Carbon and his 18.2 has influence to Gen 3. ? Went back to earlier soft on carbon. Will check after few days.
    Yes, networked Carbon 18.2 causes Gen 3 sonar freezing. Went back on Carbon and its ok again.
    Lowrance HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-9 Live, 3D , Elite FS , Lowrance 360 Vision, Activetarget , Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI G3, Humminbird Mega 360 , Garmin Echomap & Livescope
    Volzhanka 46F, Yamaha 60 hp

8. Member
    I have a GEN3 12 at the bow and two GEN3 9's at the console. 12 isn't skipping but the temp randomly loses 30 degrees and the depth and temp have both fluctuated to three dashes and back at times. One of the 9's is GPS only, no ducer. The other is skipping and locking up regularly. All have most current updates, just double checked yesterday. The update before this one (first 18.2 version?) was even worse, I thought this last one was supposed to fix it...nope.

I've been 100% Lowrance for 10 years but am thinking Garmin's or Birds next time, ridiculous.

Too much money for constant updates that just cause more issues! Get your crap together Lowrance! Make me believe again...

9. Member
    I tried all the recommended tips and tricks - resets and using a PC to download 18.2, etc.

The only thing that worked for me was rolling back to HDS Gen3 Software Upgrade (v 7.0). You can download it here:

http://ww2.lowrance.com/en-SG/Softwa...-Upgrade-v-70/

10. Member
    I tried all the recommended tips and tricks - resets and using a PC to download the update, etc.

The only thing that worked for me was rolling back to HDS Gen3 Software Upgrade (v 7.0) released May 2018

Search Google for this to find it (won't allow to post a link here because I'm new to the forum):
    HDS-Gen3-Software-Upgrade-v-7

http://ww2.lowrance.com/en-SG/Softwa...-Upgrade-v-70/

11. Member
    How do you roll back? Re you rolling back to Version 7.0?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor1952 View Post
    Pretty much follow the Upgrade Instructions on the linked page just above your post. Always a good idea to do a hard reset after any update. Save your waypoints, routes, and trails to a sd card (not the same one you put the update on) to reload them after the reset.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor1952 View Post
    Once you have 7.0 on your SDcard via computer.

rolling back is different than upgrading.

Install card with file into graph, go to files, select the sdcard with the file, browse sdcard for file. Click on a file, a prompt will come asking if your sure..say yes. The unit will start the downgrade process and reboot.
    When the Agree comes up it is done.
    I recommend a hard rest after the downgrade, so backup waypoints before.

Note: you will likely start getting warnings that there is an upgrade available after downgrading. Ignore them. There is a way to get it to stop, but I cannot recall of hand.

14. Member
    Just spent two weeks trying to figure this out. Found this post so hopefully this does the trick. Sonar was freezing.
    2015 Nitro Z-7 175 Pro XS

15. Member
    Both of my Lowrance HDS Gen 3’s started doing this pauses and freezing every second or so. Down imagine was also doing this. Both units worked great my first 3 hours of fishing then this started happening which basically ended my fishing day. I put both units on simulator and the sonar was scrolling normal in this mode. I tried doing a soft and hard reboots and this did not work.

Instead of creating a new thread I wanted to see if anybody here has solved their problem with this? It is very frustrating. I am going to call Lowrance tomorrow and I already know their solution will be to do a reboot which has already failed for me. Is rolling back to a previous update the only way to fix this?

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Case3015 View Post
    Both of my Lowrance HDS Gen 3’s started doing this pauses and freezing every second or so. Down imagine was also doing this. Both units worked great my first 3 hours of fishing then this started happening which basically ended my fishing day. I put both units on simulator and the sonar was scrolling normal in this mode. I tried doing a soft and hard reboots and this did not work.

Instead of creating a new thread I wanted to see if anybody here has solved their problem with this? It is very frustrating. I am going to call Lowrance tomorrow and I already know their solution will be to do a reboot which has already failed for me. Is rolling back to a previous update the only way to fix this?
    NO, No one has solved it, not even Lowrance for that matter. The ONLY solution is to roll back to 7.0. Infinity number of reboots will not solve it. 18.2 is broke, for most users of gen3's.
    Why some don't have the issue (very few, state side), it is believed to be a hardware difference between early and later model g3's for the reason some work and most don't.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moetorola View Post
    NO, No one has solved it, not even Lowrance for that matter. The ONLY solution is to roll back to 7.0. Infinity number of reboots will not solve it. 18.2 is broke, for most users of gen3's.
    Why some don't have the issue (very few, state side), it is believed to be a hardware difference between early and later model g3's for the reason some work and most don't.
    Thanks, rolling back to 7.0 today on both units. I just want the sonar to work so I can concentrate on fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by vols146 View Post
    I started having the same issue last week after updating to 18.2. Rolling back to the previous software version seems to have taken care of it so far.
    That’s what I had to do.
    GO DAWGS

19. Member
    Having same issue with my HDS 12 gen 3 after installing LSS 2 transducer. Tried a soft reset to no avail. Can someone point to a good link or instructions to roll back software?
    1993 Sea Nymph 14ft aluminum

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Case3015 View Post
    Thanks, rolling back to 7.0 today on both units. I just want the sonar to work so I can concentrate on fishing.
    Did this fix the issue? Wanting to know before I do it to mine.
    1993 Sea Nymph 14ft aluminum

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast