2008 Mercury 150 HELP!!!!

My pops just bought a Nitro with the above motor on it. It has ran fin up until a coupe weeks ago. It as been sputtering an wanting to die. But when you break t over it runs smoothly. Just when at idle it kinda idles up and own over and over but never dies. So pops pulled the oat out and put on hose. He took the cowling off and can hear a noise not noticed before. It was coming from the air compressor. So he put new plugs in and after it running for like 15 mins he took them out. He said the plugs were really black. Any ideas? We thought it might have water in the fuel. Any help would be appreciated.

Experts need your serial number to reply and you have a 2.5L motor.

It sounds like a bad compressor. Take off the cowling and belt. Turn the compressor with one hand. If you can turn more than 3 times, it is probably bad. Also, inspect the pulleys for any play.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Member
    Just called pops and he said you can turn it more than 3 times easy. So I guess its not building pressure??

4. Member
    Any other ideas??

Quote Originally Posted by Titan423 View Post
    Just called pops and he said you can turn it more than 3 times easy. So I guess its not building pressure??
    Correct. Personally, I would hook it up and drive to Greenville to deliver it to Don (EuropeanAM) Weed. He will get it back up and operating smoothly. It is not just replacing the compressor. There are 3 inline filters that need replaces and most likely your fuel system is full of debris from the compressor failure. The fuel system needs cleaned, serviced and check for ruined injectors.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

6. Member
    So it was checked out and wasn't the compressor or the coils. Possibly the air injectors. Or some other issue.

7. Member
    Would be best if post your questions to the 2.5L forum (what your engine is) and be sure to include engine serial number.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax