Raymarine Dragonfly 5M GPS unit

Does anyone on here either own or have knowledge of this unit. I'm looking into a stand alone unit until I upgrade my electronics later in the year? Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

2. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    There a really great little unit for the price with a map, only down size is it can’t be linked and screen size.
    Should be perfect for your use.

3. Member
    Thank you Legend! It says it comes with Navionics Gold. Do you know if that has Lake Amistad on that or do I need to upgrade to a newer version of Navionics? Thank you!

4. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Nvionics web site should have the details.

5. Member
    I don't have the 5M but I have the 5 Pro, I actually went from the 6 to the 5 Pro after having problems with a 6, I didn't think it would make that much difference, but it does. I wish now that I would have tried for a 7" model as the numbers and letters on the 5" models are just too dang small. The 6" was barely acceptable, the good thing about the 5 Pro is I can wi-fi connect it to a tablet. The electronics in the 5 Pro are a bit sluggish and map refresh has a hard time staying locked on and updating at high speeds. Great crisp colors, easy to use, their ball swivel mount system is really simple, one cord hook-up.
    Jerry "Rat-L-Trap" Lehman
    Never Enough "Traps"
    Triton TR-21 Merc Optimax 225
    Living Life Large at Toledo Bend

6. Member
    Dragonfly 5M is a mapping / navigation unit only - NO SONAR or DOWNVISION

Stick with a "PRO" model and use it with an iPad for a larger screen.

7. Member
    Jig34, will that work with all ipads ? thanks

8. Member
    5M is mapping only - no transducer and no sonar.

Yes, all Pro models can connect to an iPad. The iPad is for viewing Sonar, DownVision or Sonar/DownVision only. Can’t view the map on the iPad.

If if you want to maximize screens, run the DF Pro on the map and use an iPad (basically a 7” screen) for the sonar or Down.

9. Member
    Jig34 -Another question for you. You say you can connect the Pro to an ipad. Exactly how do you do that ? I don't see a place on my pro to connect to to link to the ipad. I'm a moron electronically so please keep it as simple as you can . thanks

10. Member
    Download free Raymarine WiFish app on your iPad.

Go into your iPad WiFi settings and you will see the Dragonfly listed (just like you would see your home router). Connect WiFi to DF Pro and launch the WiFish app.

11. Member
    Mr Jig34, I'm finally getting to setting this up(ipad used with Dragonfly pro) --Am I correct in that I must use a smart phone to make this work out in the boat and the phone must be locked on a tower ?--Thanks for all of your help,appreciated ..

12. Member
    No, you do not need a cell signal. Your phone mirrors the DF Pro Sonar and/or DownVision.

Go go to the DF WiFi settings and turn security off

go to settings - WiFi on your phone and you will see the DF part # listed. Connect to it.

Launch Wi-Fish and you’re good to go

13. Member
    Mr Jig34, I bought a Amazon Fire hd8 to use with my Dragonfly pro. We can't seem to find WiFish on it . Can you tell me if the fire works to download that app on ? There are other Raymarine apps available . Appreciate your help ! thanks

14. Member
    It will connect to iOS7 or Android 4.0 min. I'll have to dig a little, I'm not familiar with the Amazon Fire hd8