Wanting to Move to a Triton from another Brand

OK, this is the deal. I'm wanting to move out of a 13 FX 21 to a TRX 20 or 21. I've been trying to decide between a Triton or a Cat. Okla. the wind is always blowing and I get tired of bouncing and rough rides. I toured Triton this summer and have been to Cat many times. But I keep coming back to Triton because of deck layout and fish ability. Seems the people at Triton Pro's included stick with Triton for many years. Please tell me what all the goods and bad is about Triton.  Thanks 

2. Member
    Triton is a more stable fishing platform in rough water

3. Member
    Smoother dryer ride in rough water.. I switched from nitro years back to Triton 18 se.. and road in Tritons on the BASS marshal that’s why I switched.. now I have my 2017 20 TRX Patriot..

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360

Tritons are definitely a better rough water ride but not quite as fast as a Bass Cat. I also feel like Bass Cat has more attention to detail throughout the building process and amazing customer service. With all of that being said, I hate how Bass Cats are laid out. I love the wide front decks of the TRX lineup and how a Triton is laid out.

If it were my money, I would pick the Triton. But they are both great boats. Just depends on what fits your style.
    2007 Triton TR-21X w/ Pro XS 250
    6" T&H Hi Jacker w/ 2" spacers
    26P Tempest

5. Member
    What Steve81 said!! Ditto

6. Member
    Both are really good boats. The Basscat will be faster and the premium models will not have any plastic or vinyl on them as the Triton will have. I had a 2005 Triton TX 20 and now have a 2016 Basscat Puma (a ZX20 Skeeter in between, but that another story). You won't go wrong with either, but I would prefer the Basscat over the Triton by the narrowest of margins.

7. Member
    I have owned all 3. I went from a 2004 TR196 to a 2015 Skeeter TZX190 to a 2018 BassCat PII. I will say I like each boat for different reasons. I also owned a Nitro 882 prior to the Triton. You can't go wrong with those 3 brands.

My 2004 Triton TR196 with 200hp 3.0L efi. No power poles or talons. It was fast 70-72mph. Good holeshot. Chine walked above 68mph. Fished well and handle rough water OK. Overall I loved this boat. Got rid of it because I didn't want to spend $4,000 on hull blister repairs on a 10 year old boat.

Skeeter TZX 190 with 175sho and 2 Talon. Super stable and fished well, slow holeshot. Like all Skeeters no chine walk. Not as fast. Overall I liked the boat. My tournament partner has a FX20 with a 250sho. Nice boat. Very stable.

BassCat Pantera 2 with 200proXS and 1 talon. Didn't think it was possible, but it has a faster holeshot then the TR196 and that is with a Talon. Speed with Talon is 70-71mph. Without I was getting 72 -74mph. Chine walk starts at 70mph for me. Boat fishes good and rides very similar to the TR196.

I agree with what was posted above, the fit and finish of the BassCat is better. I also like that fact there is no plastic trim on the consoles or front to weather and crack.

If possible I would try and test drive a Triton and a BassCat. That will help you decide. I don't think you could wrong with either boat.
    Brad Krone

8. Member
    Bass cat has to have factory support because lack of a dealer network. Wha t part of oklahoma are you in ?
    if you like non traditional box lid shapes and non symmetrical consoles bass cat may be for you.

9. Member
    No complaints with my 19xs

10. Member
    Have an 18 20 TRX, the ride is great. I looked at Bass Cat and didn't care for the layout and the front deck on the TRX is very nice and dealer network was somewhat limited. Bass Cats do have great attention to detail in their finishing.

11. Member
    I have a 2018 Triton 19trx Patriot and I love it. I looked at every boat out there, and the Triton had the best layout imo. Tons of storage and a big, wide deck. I had a 2004 Tr-196 for 13 years and it was a good boat. My boat is even better. Unlike the old narrow triton hulls that chime walked and could not absorb a wave. The new Triton’s are easy to drive and are great on big water. I just fished a tourney on Chautauqua with two footers on the way back to the ramp going 64 mph and I let go of the wheel just to see how it would ride and it was solid. A lot of people can’t believe my boat is 19’9” bcuz it has so much room and looks bigger.

I've run 4 BassCats and a 16 Triton 21TRX. I just sold the Triton and am in an '18 BassCat Lynx. The Cat is faster by about 5 mph and I think is better built overall. I like the total lack of plastic in the Cats. The Triton is better riding in big water, but wetter. Both the Lynx and 21TRX have a soft landing when they reenter the water in bigger waves. The Cat has much more storage than the TRX and the day box is really handy. Both boats are easy to drive. I've looked at every brand and the 2 best for me were BassCat and Triton. You won't go wrong with either boat.