USA Jon boat trolling motor ??

15 ft aluminum grumman , semi v , with a 60 inch bottom . What's the best bang for my buck trolling motor to put on it ? It's has a 20 yr old 30lb thrust motorguide that's just wore out on it and I wanna replace it . Does anyone know if motorguide and minnekota alligator mounts mounting holes are the same ? Can I mount a Minnekota with out drilling new holes ? I'm gonna stay 12 volt , but will probably buy the most lb thrust I can with out spending stupid money on my jon boat .
    BassCat-illac
    FastCat Fishin Team
    If you aint first , your last !!!
    All fat girls welcomed !!!!!

2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

3. Joe4d
    way guys are upgrading seems to be good deals on 80 lb 24 volt motors, you can turn an 80 down to 20 but not other way around. Do you fish electric only ? that extra thrust may come in handy. You could go to 2 24 group batteries to save some weight. Still be alot better than your 12.
    If you have gas, can still go with a set of dual purpose and not need 3 batteries.

I don't need a 24 volt . I'm gonna be fishing canals with barely any current and not even gonna be fighting grass . If I need more than 12 volt ill bring my big boat with 36 volts . I went and checked out a tm at academy earlier , they have a nice 43 lb thrust motorguide for 400 bucks .
    BassCat-illac
    FastCat Fishin Team

I have a Minnkota power drive V2 that I'll let go for 250.00 plus shipping. 55 lb thrust. 12 volt.

6. Member
    If it was me I'd check out the USED trolling motors for sale here on BBC. Properly constructed and not abused, TM's last a long time.
    Last edited by billnorman1; 09-09-2018 at 08:22 AM. Reason: used added

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Runner View Post
    15 ft aluminum grumman , semi v , with a 60 inch bottom . What's the best bang for my buck trolling motor to put on it ? It's has a 20 yr old 30lb thrust motorguide that's just wore out on it and I wanna replace it . Does anyone know if motorguide and minnekota alligator mounts mounting holes are the same ? Can I mount a Minnekota with out drilling new holes ? I'm gonna stay 12 volt , but will probably buy the most lb thrust I can with out spending stupid money on my jon boat .
    Hole layout for the MinnKota should be the same as your Motorguide, however one of that age I'm not positive. I can say that "if" a new Motorguide will fit without drilling holes, the new MinnKota will line up. For what you're asking for, I would look at the MinnKota Edge series in a 55# thrust. This motor will be a 5 speed and is the largest 12V motor you can purchase.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

8. Member
    Had the Edge 55 on my 16 foot flat bottom and it had plenty of power, and I fish in the river a lot. I did have two batteries hooked up though. Still 12 volts just more amps. You should be fine with a 45 to 55 pound motor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    Hole layout for the MinnKota should be the same as your Motorguide, however one of that age I'm not positive. I can say that "if" a new Motorguide will fit without drilling holes, the new MinnKota will line up. For what you're asking for, I would look at the MinnKota Edge series in a 55# thrust. This motor will be a 5 speed and is the largest 12V motor you can purchase.
    John

9. Member
    Walmart on line has the 45 edge for $390 with free shipping. I think they deliver to your local store also. Just an option.

Thanks for all the replys guys
    BassCat-illac
    FastCat Fishin Team

Quote Originally Posted by 11pounder View Post
    I have a Minnkota power drive V2 that I'll let go for 250.00 plus shipping. 55 lb thrust. 12 volt.
    I wonder what shipping would be on a TM ?
    BassCat-illac
    FastCat Fishin Team

If you want I'll check on it,

Quote Originally Posted by 11pounder View Post
    If you want I'll check on it,
    Don't worry about it , I found one that is on sale that I can buy for about $50.00 more with a cabelas coupon I have . Ill probably go and pick that one up today . Thanks anyways .
    BassCat-illac
    FastCat Fishin Team

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Runner View Post
    Don't worry about it , I found one that is on sale that I can buy for about $50.00 more with a cabelas coupon I have . Ill probably go and pick that one up today . Thanks anyways .
    Good deal, glad to hear it.

I wound up buying a Minn Kota Edge , 45lb thrust . It was $410.00 and I had a $60.00 off coupon so I wound up paying 350 for it . Got it home and mounted it and it works perfectly for my needs !
    BassCat-illac
    FastCat Fishin Team