Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lost my plug, couldn’t go fishing today

I tried to go fishing today. I got to the boat ramp and went to put the plug in, and it was gone. My plug had threads, and it threaded into the hull fitting. It also had a leash that kept it attached to the boat. My boat is a 1998 R-91I. I bought a conventional style rubber expanding plug, but it was too big to fit in the threaded fitting. My question is, do all Ranger boats use a threaded plug? Or was my boat modified or changed by the previous owner?

I have a 98 R73 and it has a threaded plug. I messed mine up last year and replaced the whole thing with this. https://www.basscatstore.com/stainle...turedplug.aspx
    It's still threaded but it ain't coming out, and it's stainless instead of plastic.

Ranger has used the threaded plug for a long time. I know our local Gander mountain used to have the same plug on the rack, before they closed. I have replaced mine on my last 3 Rangers with the remote plug. It is a direct fit into the same screw holes.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger519VS View Post
    Ranger has used the threaded plug for a long time. I know our local Gander mountain used to have the same plug on the rack, before they closed. I have replaced mine on my last 3 Rangers with the remote plug. It is a direct fit into the same screw holes.
    So who makes a remote kit that is easy to install. I like the idea of a remotely controlled plug, since it would never be an issue if you forgot to install the plug, just activate the device and continue on your way.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axhammer View Post
    So who makes a remote kit that is easy to install. I like the idea of a remotely controlled plug, since it would never be an issue if you forgot to install the plug, just activate the device and continue on your way.
    Flowrite make the kit. You are 100% correct about installing the plug if you forget about it. I am not speaking from first hand experience
    2004 Ranger 521VX with 2019 Evinrude G2 250 H.O.

Flo-rite makes the remote drain plug. I believe you can order it from Ranger also.
    https://store.flow-rite.com/remote-d...a-rdp-006.html

7. Member
    i think i have one in my garage if you still need one

8. Joe4d
    My javelin had a screw in from outside plug, came loose on me onetime fishing, went swimming to fix it, Next time it came off it got ripped off, Luckily my boat was self baling once I got going, and eventually got up on plane.
    I replaced it with a plane ole no gadget rubber plug with a t handle that flared when you tightened it. Was a bit smaller than standard boat plug size but was no issue finding one. Put it in from the inside and never messed with it again. I had bilge pumps if I needed them, and boat was parked under cover so wasnt gettign rained on,,, I mean really why even mess with the thing ?

9. Member
    it's foam filled, wouldn't stop me from fishing
    06 Ranger Z21
    23 Yamaha SHO 250

Quote Originally Posted by Greener View Post
    it's foam filled, wouldn't stop me from fishing
    Lol yeah I would have rammed something in the whole and let it buck too ( not saying I'm like to water log the foam though)
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

11. mikesxpress
    Always keep a spare screw in plug in boat tool box. If you go to the remote plug keep spare O rings, lube the ring frequently/keep hole clean, and never trailer with the remote plug open to keep road crud from attaching to O ring.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Always keep a spare screw in plug in boat tool box. If you go to the remote plug keep spare O rings, lube the ring frequently/keep hole clean, and never trailer with the remote plug open to keep road crud from attaching to O ring.
    This is good info thanks
    06 Ranger Z21
    23 Yamaha SHO 250

Having the drain plug in on the road is illegal up north like MN, in addition to an actual large fine then you have to complete an hours worth of online "aquatic nuisance training " before your legally aloud to trailer/ fish in MN. Just saying check your local laws and evaluate how you "may" spread ANS
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

14. Banned
    I tried to go fishing today. I got to the boat ramp and went to put the plug in, and it was gone. My plug had threads, and it threaded into the hull fitting. It also had a leash that kept it attached to the boat. My boat is a 1998 R-91I. I bought a conventional style rubber expanding plug, but it was too big to fit in the threaded fitting. My question is, do all Ranger boats use a threaded plug? Or was my boat modified or changed by the previous owner?
    I have one I took off my Z521, Should be the same but if you pm me your cell phone I can send you a pic and if it works I will send it to you free.

15. Member
    My 05 Z21 I put the plug in when I bought the boat new. I traded the boat last year and the plug was still in. I know some states are picky about bilge water going from lake to lake. As of today we in Maine are not required to remove our drain plugs. My new boat has a remote plug it seemed to work good when I closed it at the dealer.

As said above grab a spare plug put in glove box. May be there will be no next time. If there is you will be ready.

16. Member
    I’ve seen commercials with parts of a ranger cut out. How could a drain plug stop you from fishing.
    92 492vs. 92 Suzuki 225 EFI

Aren't they just 1/2" pipe threads? I carry a few spare brass plugs from the hardware store.

I always leave an extra plug and ignition key in the drybox. Good way to ruin a fishing trip. I did it once!
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 11pounder View Post
    Flo-rite makes the remote drain plug. I believe you can order it from Ranger also.
    https://store.flow-rite.com/remote-d...a-rdp-006.html
    FYI....Tackle warehouse sells the flo-rite kits

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    Having the drain plug in on the road is illegal up north like MN, in addition to an actual large fine then you have to complete an hours worth of online "aquatic nuisance training " before your legally aloud to trailer/ fish in MN. Just saying check your local laws and evaluate how you "may" spread ANS
    I'm glad we dont have that in south Carolina. My plug rarely comes out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast