Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

1979 ranger 168v restoration and updating

Hey everyone!! Recently picked up this 1979 ranger 168v with a evinrude 150 on her for 500 bucks. Going through and doing a almost complete restoration and updating with deck extension to it. So far I have cut out the rotted front deck wood, re fiberglassed the front and a.m. working on repairing the hull for repainting it, I will be reclearing the top cap, yes I will be using clear not gelcoat. I have done my fair share of boat restorations and painting in the past and diamond clear coat just holds up to good and is easy to buff and recreate every 7 years for an affordable fix, I’m not doing a complete restoration as it is a budget boat but it will look close to new when it’s done!!! Still debating what trolling motor I will end up getting, has to be a motor guide though. I just went through the entire engine and replaced a lot of electronics s such, even after sitting for 10 years she started in the first turn over, compression checked out at 118-120 across the board. I will be upgrading the steering to hydraulic and installing a hot foot that I will be fabricating my self. I’ll update this as much as I can hope to have it done in the next 2 months, I have also ordered the new seats for it that will update the look, also will be deleting the front bait tank and convert it to storage only
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Good old Ranger hull. Tandem axle on 168V boat,,,neat.
    Last edited by omcforever; 11-17-2018 at 10:30 AM.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by omcforever View Post
    Good old Ranger hull. Tandem axle on 168V boat,,,neat.

id rather have a tandem axle trailer any day of the week, always safer and more reliable, if u have 2 blow outs with 1 Spair u can just convert to a single axle

Cool project! Do those old Rangers have wood transom or composite?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CastingCall View Post
    Cool project! Do those old Rangers have wood transom or composite?
    Super strange, everyone says the 79 has wood and didn’t switch to composite till 89, but I just installed the jackplate today and it felt and looked light solid composite so it’s either in immaculate shape or is composite

6. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger168v View Post
    Super strange, everyone says the 79 has wood and didn’t switch to composite till 89, but I just installed the jackplate today and it felt and looked light solid composite so it’s either in immaculate shape or is composite
    Its wood.....

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

7. Member
    Its wood.....
    I don’t disagree with your just couldn’t tell the difference when I had the bolts out, looked just like a hole in solid composite, the transome is extremely solid on this boat but I guess it could have been redone at one point it is 40 years old

8. Member

Jackplate in with a little additional transom support plate (helps me sleep at night) all I’ve been doing today is pulling wire and running new wire

9. Member
    what Rocker switches does everyone recommend wants to go push button but 10 bucks a switch is a tad crazy

10. Member
    Its wood.....
    Talked to the original owner today, he had it replaced with composite in 2005 so she’s solid for a good 40 more years haha not sure if it’s coosa or whatever though

Quote Originally Posted by ranger168v View Post
    what Rocker switches does everyone recommend wants to go push button but 10 bucks a switch is a tad crazy
    Carling makes excellent marine rockers. They aren't cheap, but they last forever.
    The anti-vandal lighted push-buttons are certainly cool! But like you said, not cheap either. $8 ea. is about as good as I've seen.

To save some money, you could buy a pre-built switch panel with multiple switches, outlets, etc. Even if you ditch the supplied mounting plate, you'd be ahead on per switch cost.
    https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Di...51211268&psc=1

12. Member
    I am redoing a 1992 390V now and plan on starting on my 1979 198V when I get this boat done. The 198V has a Merc 175 on it. All original right down to the Merc Thruster TM and the HB Super 60 and Super 30 flashers. I bought it new

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CastingCall View Post
    Carling makes excellent marine rockers. They aren't cheap, but they last forever.
    The anti-vandal lighted push-buttons are certainly cool! But like you said, not cheap either. $8 ea. is about as good as I've seen.

To save some money, you could buy a pre-built switch panel with multiple switches, outlets, etc. Even if you ditch the supplied mounting plate, you'd be ahead on per switch cost.
    https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Di...51211268&psc=1
    yeah I’ve seen them on eBay for like 28 bucks, but I already have a voltage meter and I’m trying to keep the stock essence of the boat and I don’t have enough room for those switches sadley, I ordered 8 of the push button ones off the wish app just gotta wait and see if they ever come in only paid 8 bucks for shipping for them so we will see.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by indy390v View Post
    I am redoing a 1992 390V now and plan on starting on my 1979 198V when I get this boat done. The 198V has a Merc 175 on it. All original right down to the Merc Thruster TM and the HB Super 60 and Super 30 flashers. I bought it new
    nice I love these older boats plus you can’t complain on the price points. I just finished ripping all the old wiring out and running all new wiring today, as soon as my gps speedometer and tack get in I can finish the dash wiring, I also went and added a extra fuel gauge since I have 2 tanks

15. Member
    On my 198V I installed a toggle switch to show fuel levels. One fuel gauge. One way for right tank and the other way for left tank. 390V only has one 40 gallon tank

16. Member
    On my 198V I installed a toggle switch to show fuel levels. One fuel gauge. One way for right tank and the other way for left tank. 390V only has one 40 gallon tank
    Yeah that’s how the boat came but the wire harness was just absolute trash so I tore out the old harness and ran new wires for everything, and decided to add a second fuel gauge since I found a guy selling them for 9 dollars a piece, I just don’t want a switch to fail or a connection since their would be multiple wires and loose a tanks levels, it has dual 14 gal tanks I believe it my math was correct

17. Member
    i added a deck extension in the front but since I’m not going to use the bait well I delete the plumbing to it and cut sever holes and made it into a full size rod locker, it made me instantly fall I. Love with this boat even though it’s stoage is close to non, since I have a 36v Tm I have 5 battery’s in the back (have two battery’s for starting and accessories) I needed to offset the weight and the added deck will help level it out, I’m almost finished with the deck I’ll post pictures soon

18. Member

Here is my home made visor, wanted to keep the old 80s style square look, I’m still making the aluminum frame support for it

19. Member

Here is where I repaired the front deck, the wood was rotten so tore it out laid new fiberglass coated wood and added 3 layers of glass on top
    Last edited by ranger168v; 11-25-2018 at 12:38 PM.

20. Member

I used nylon mesh to help organize and clean up the new harness for it, also looks good

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast