USA Couple fuel related questions

Maybe better suited in 3L forum, but in a Basscat so starting here...on a 2004 Pantera Classic with 2003 Merc 200 EFI 3L.

1. Cracked the Oval shaped fuel cap, got a new one from BC, removed 4 screws but will not lift very far off top cap (1/4" and not enough to get to line and vent hose clamps). Is there a trick, do I pry up, don't want to force and break something.

2. Bought a Mercury brand hose/bulb assembly from BC, noticed hose is not long enough to go thru black ribbed rigging hose to get to engine on 1 end, and not long enough to get to gas tank on other. I am replacing due to age and possible effects of ethonol. Must the entire fuel lin from tank to motor be replaced, or only certain section, or ?

Thanks,

Mike

2. Member
    Bump for BC to read.

3. Member
    TTT

4. Member
    Bump...Basscat can you help?

5. Member
    You probably need to remove the seats, then the seat pan (a dozen screws or so). Then you can reach the filler line from tank (under seat pan) up to where it meets the cap connector...

For reliability I would replace all. You can find a brass double-ended barb at most auto parts stores to let you use two pieces of fuel line, spliced with that double-ended barb fitting.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

6. Member
    OK that's what I was thinking I HAD to do, but don't want to lol - that's a lot of work.

I came into the dock a little too hot, bumped wood dock siding, cracking the hinge on the oval fuel cap.

7. Member
    You can have all of this out in under 15 minutes. Three screws on seat usually, two obvious in the bottom, one through the back down low. The others are simple square-drive self-tappers that are quick to remove. 4 on the front forward-facing side, then 6 or so behind the seats. Really not a hard job. As far as getting that fuel door off, I have not tried to replace that... I think I saw a screw-type clamp holding that hose on both ends (pretty short hose since tank is "right there".
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

8. Member
    To answer question #2: You do not need to replace the fuel hose going into the tank. From previous posts about this, its only the Primer bulb and hose that gets replaced from the engine to Fuel tank hose.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

Sorry guys, we’ve missed this one.

1. You must disconnect the hose underneath. Then it will release the whole fill neck assembly.

2. If you have a complete Mercury hose then it should be long enough. If not then we don’t know. All Grey hose must be replaced with their B1 line, or go to our A1 fuel line (black) which is the best you can get for ethanol resistance. The black lines in the boat should all be ethanol resistant A1 and most don’t use the best available, we do and have for over 30 years.