2005 Stratos 201 with Yami 250 HPDI

First time owning a yami/stratos..so far so good.

my question/concern is I noticed at start up there’s no idiot lights or system check. My old Champion beeped once and there was a series of lights, temp,oil and fuel. Does this boat have that option? Are there any alarms on this set up?

thanks
    1997 Champion 186 Elite
    1997 Johnson 175HP Fast Strike 25 Renegade
    MinnKota Talon
    Lowrance Electonics

2. NC Bass Club/Yamaha Motors Moderator BuzzB8's Avatar
    When you turn on the key to the "run" position, you should see two lights on the dash just above the steering wheel. They will go off in a couple seconds. You should also hear the electric fuel pump on the engine (In the VST tank) come on for a few seconds.

If you have a Yamaha tach, then there won't be lights on the dash but there should be an oil indicator in the tach that lights up showing oil level.

Yamahas don't beep unless there is an alarm. You can check to see if your alarm is working by removing the stop/overboard lanyard from where it slides into the dash and turning the key to start it. Just bump the key to the start position, but don't start it. The alarm should sound.

I hope this helps.

3. Member
    Welcome to Stratos and Yamaha. Prior to purchasing it did previous owner have maintenance paperwork or proof maintenance has been done? I ask as I hate to see the ox66 and hdpi fail. Maintenance is not hard if your mechanically inclined.
    Let me know, Garland

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzB8 View Post
    When you turn on the key to the "run" position, you should see two lights on the dash just above the steering wheel. They will go off in a couple seconds. You should also hear the electric fuel pump on the engine (In the VST tank) come on for a few seconds.

If you have a Yamaha tach, then there won't be lights on the dash but there should be an oil indicator in the tach that lights up showing oil level.

Yamahas don't beep unless there is an alarm. You can check to see if your alarm is working by removing the stop/overboard lanyard from where it slides into the dash and turning the key to start it. Just bump the key to the start position, but don't start it. The alarm should sound.

I hope this helps.
    thanks for the info. The only two lights I have are above the key. When I turn the key one click one light turns red, other does not. There are no other lights on the dash.
    1997 Champion 186 Elite
    MinnKota Talon
    Lowrance Electonics

Quote Originally Posted by javelin90 View Post
    Welcome to Stratos and Yamaha. Prior to purchasing it did previous owner have maintenance paperwork or proof maintenance has been done? I ask as I hate to see the ox66 and hdpi fail. Maintenance is not hard if your mechanically inclined.
    Let me know, Garland
    Thanks! I love this boat but motor scares me. I’ll I got was how many hours (246) and at what rpm’s those hours ran. I just ordered a new filter (one the is on the side of the motor) and the other that goes inside the vst tank. They seam pretty easy to replace. Are there any others I should do? I’m also adding a water/fuel sepetator after the gas tank. Please let me know if I should do anything else. Oh, also using yamilube and ring free.
    1997 Champion 186 Elite
    MinnKota Talon
    Lowrance Electonics

6. Member
    Yes the hdpi has 5 secret filters and under the Yamaha forum it is here. If your able to use a boro scope and look inside the spark plug cylinders to see how much carbon buildup you have. Always always warm up motor before wide open throttle. I warm mine up and usually idle at least 1/2 football fuel before getting on plane.

Quote Originally Posted by javelin90 View Post
    Yes the hdpi has 5 secret filters and under the Yamaha forum it is here. If your able to use a boro scope and look inside the spark plug cylinders to see how much carbon buildup you have. Always always warm up motor before wide open throttle. I warm mine up and usually idle at least 1/2 football fuel before getting on plane.
    I’ll hire someone for that. I’m not removing that fuel rail lol.

I do the same..always warm my outboards up before running.

on a side note..I changed the fuel filter on the side of the motor. It had some sand and looked to be ethanol snot, very small piece..looked like a boogy lol. Anyways I emptied the bowl and filled it with gas BEFORE tightening the bowl to the housing. I assumed this is what I should of done?
    1997 Champion 186 Elite
    MinnKota Talon
    Lowrance Electonics

8. Member
    Refill the bowl was right thing to do. Ethanol buildup in the vst tank or tank when dry you will appear like ash and when touch it, it literally turns to dust.