Oil leak 2004, 150 optimax

I have been getting a slight oil leak on the starboard side of my motor and would only see a drip when the motor was tilted up. A few drops on my transom after running the boat, and not unless we made at least an hour run.
    I found the bottom mounting bolt head for the oil pump has a drop of clean Opti oil on it, but can not find the source of the leak. The electrical fitting on the bottom of the oil pump is also wet, and I can see a drop hanging off of the bottom of the pump housing.
    The hoses all look dry as I was expecting to see a loose hose or a drip around one of the seven hoses.
    What could be the source?
    Are these pumps rebuildable, or gaskets that go bad?
    Last edited by Pecos23; 10-04-2018 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Add pic
    David OH, Lake Erie
    2004, Boston Whaler 240 Outrage
    Twin 150 Mercury Optimax
    OT946111
    OT973175

2. Member
    No, the pump cannot be rebuilt. The solution is to replace the oil pump and have an oil pump prime sequence performed afterward.
    Last edited by SilverFox579; 09-08-2018 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Didn't see serial #s in signature
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

3. Member
    Where do these pumps typical leak? I’ll have to get there with a mirror to locate the leak without dropping the lower cowles, but was wondering where I should start my search?
    David OH, Lake Erie
    Twin 150 Mercury Optimax
    OT946111
    OT973175

4. Member
    I'd recommend removing the lower cowling and taking a closer look.

It's either oil line or fitting leaking somewhere or oil pump. From what I've been reading common leaks around the oil pump bolts but can be hard to spot...

I'm in the same predicament. Just verifying yo make sure it's not a line that's leaking.... easier and cheaper then a whole pump.

I'm thinking of running motor in muffs in yard with cowlings off and see if I can spot any seepage or anything. I'll be wiping everything down clean before hand so it's easier to spot
    2004 Ranger Reata 180vs 8" rapid jack magnum CCM reeds 21P tempest plus- 2005 150 optimax 1B044209

5. Member
    Use a uv flash lite [black lite] opti oil will glow.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickp View Post
    Use a uv flash lite [black lite] opti oil will glow.
    +1. Mercury/Quicksilver DFI has a dye that will fluoresce under UV light.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

7. Member
    UV dye in the oil? That’s brilliant. I googled this and found a kit at auto zone that includes the dye with with yellow glasses. Do I need the glasses? Has anyone used this method? Does it work?
    David OH, Lake Erie
    Twin 150 Mercury Optimax
    OT946111
    OT973175

8. Member
    All you need is the UV light.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

9. Member
    So, an update to my oil leak. I took Rick and SliverFox’s advise and used a UV light purchased at Lowe’s, $10.00 bucks. And a bottle of purple power degreaser. The pump area lit up like a Christmas tree when I shined the UV light on the pump and area. Cleaned everything with the purple power, rinsed with water. Removed the three mounting bolts that hold the oil pump to the plentum and disconnect the electrical connection. I could then move the pump around to inspect, clean again, and tighten the three Allen head bolts, about 1/4 turn each. Cleaned the pump again and plugged in the electrical. No glowing oil anywhere. Ran the motor for 15 minutes on the muffs and even bumped the rpm’s up to about 900. Using the UV light I could not see any leaks, and believe me, the oil glows like my kids glow in the dark slime, very bright green. Even ran at 3500 rpms in the open water for 15 minutes, no drips.
    I looked everywhere. Even started tracing the oil line with the UV light while the motor was running, and traced all oil lines from front of motor, to the holding tank, to the pump and to the compressor and block for each cylinder. I could not see the ones behind the ECM. Nothing.
    I was sure I would have seen a leak around the pump when it lit up when I first hit it with the UV light.
    So, will have to wait for a long run under load then check again. Anyone else have a hard time locating this oil pump leak.
    Last edited by Pecos23; 09-15-2018 at 11:11 PM.
    David OH, Lake Erie
    Twin 150 Mercury Optimax
    OT946111
    OT973175

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If it is the pump, you will usually see a droplet form at the lower ALLEN head bolt.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    Pics of the oil pump with drops of oil and using the UV light.
    https://pix.sfly.com/PZR85g
    https://pix.sfly.com/JBXfoS
    https://pix.sfly.com/u1bWAn
    https://pix.sfly.com/Gtck9S

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Pecos23; 10-06-2018 at 08:33 AM.
    David OH, Lake Erie
    Twin 150 Mercury Optimax
    OT946111
    OT973175

12. Member
    Glad to have found this thread! I have the same symptoms and will be following your instructions soon. What kind of tool do you use to access those unreachable bolts that hold the lower shrouds together?

13. Member
    They're all reachable with standard tools - 1/4" drive ratchet, 8mm socket, assorted extensions as necessary and an 8mm ratchet wrench for the one up front. What works for me.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

14. Member
    Thanks. very much, SilverFox! I have all those but it is very tight. All three Allen head screws on the pump cover needed tigtening.

15. Member
    You're welcome. Some utilize a 1/4 drive u-joint for the lower rear cowl bolt but I get it done without. Don't be surprised if, after tightening the 3 cover bolts, you still have a leak.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

16. Member
    Thanks. very much, SilverFox! I have all those but it is very tight. All three Allen head screws on the pump cover needed tigtening.

17. Member

If you need any further assistance suggest you open a separate topic for your engine to prevent post hijacking and be sure to include serial #.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

18. Member
    I know I felt like mine were loose when I tightened them but the pump still leaked.

That o ring in there gets crushed over time and looses its tight seal. hopefully you are one of the lucky ones that gets by with just tightening (however long it will last afterwards)
    2004 Ranger Reata 180vs 8" rapid jack magnum CCM reeds 21P tempest plus- 2005 150 optimax 1B044209