Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Praying TRYING TO DECIDE HELP

Look at getting a new boat. List is
    Crestliner pt 18
    Xpress x18
    Ranger 198p
    With 150 outboard.
    I live in ohio and prices are so close. Just not sure what to pick. All are welded and seem to be great boats with nice features and finishes. The crestliner and xpress have thicker hulls. My big problem is i can't go see a crestliner or xpress because local dealers non in stock. Anyone near me that owns one who would allow me to check them out? I live between Columbus and i77 . Not afraid to drive a ways to see them. Thanks
    Also any concerns or problems to be aware of or warranty hassles would help.
    Last edited by Big-Dan; 09-09-2018 at 12:19 PM.

2. Member
    Let me know if you want to ride in a PT-20 sometime.
    2019 Crestliner PT 20 - Mercury 200 Pro XS 4s - Columbus, OH

3. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    While I own a Triton I would get the Ranger if I was buying new. To me Ranger is a premiere company that builds a quality product and stands behind their boats. That’s been my experience.

Im not saying anything bad about the other options at all, I just don’t have personal experience with either one.

If you want the real, no BS experience on the Ranger wait for Bill Reynolds to step in. He’s a very knowledgeable man and is more than willing to help anyone that asks. He has answered more questions for me and offered extra advice I didn’t even know to ask!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

4. Member
    That would be fantastic. Im assuming the pt 20 with 200 would be similar to the 18 with 150. But i bet the 20 would be even smoother and higher top end. But everything else would be the same?

I have a PT18 and I love it. not for speed freaks, but it is stable and fishes like a dream. I like the lay out better than the Ranger. three full size rod lockers and a 33 gal. livewell, and you can hang whatever you want on the transom without voiding the warranty.
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Member
    I don't think you can go wrong with any of the boats you are checking out. That Xpress X18 Pro is a nice boat. I recently bought the Ranger RT188 and I had some minor warranty issues concerning the cover (unraveling seam) and a minor scratch on the gunnel. I emailed Ranger, and within the week they responded and are sending a new upgraded cover and a half pint of touch up. Ranger customer support is excellent IMHO.

7. Member
    it may be a decent drive, but Ravenna marine in Ohio has a PT18 in stock
    THE MORE YOU SAY THE MORE WE UNDERSTAND AND ACCEPT YOU ANYWAYS

8. Member
    Nice boat. Do you have the 150 on it? What kind of top speed do you get? Im hoping to stay at least low 50s range with 2 guys.

9. Member
    Nice boat. Do you have the 150 on it? What kind of top speed do you get?

10. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I have not seen that Crestliner in person, very nice boat...layout looks like a great use of space too!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

yeah, 150 Pro XS. I get 54 with two on board with the 3 blade and 52 with a 4 blade. like I said, it's not the boat if your looking for speed, but at my age speed is my last concern.

12. Member
    Thanks. Thats fast enough for me. my old boat would do 65 on good day with 2 guys loaded so loosing 10 mph isn't a big deal compared to better fuel economy, easier towing and the ease of mind aluminum hull compared to fiberglass around rocks and stumps in shallow water. Plus it draft's shallower to get me in the back areas. Thats why im looking at these boats.

I fish the Mississippi often. I take my boat in areas I would never go to with my Stratos.

14. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big-Dan View Post
    Look at getting a new boat. List is
    Crestliner pt 18
    Xpress x18
    Ranger 198p
    With 150 outboard.
    I live in ohio and prices are so close. Just not sure what to pick. All are welded and seem to be great boats with nice features and finishes. The crestliner and xpress have thicker hulls. My big problem is i can't go see a crestliner or xpress because local dealers non in stock. Anyone near me that owns one who would allow me to check them out? I live between Columbus and i77 . Not afraid to drive a ways to see them. Thanks
    Also any concerns or problems to be aware of or warranty hassles would help.
    Call Wright's Marine in St. Marys WV, they are a volume Ranger and Rude dealer and will gladly let you take a 198 for a test run, as they are on the OH river. You won't even consider anything else after that... And they will deal w/ ya.

Good Luck!
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

15. Banned
    You need to go look at that PT 18. All of the boats you are looking at will be great boats but I think the PT 18 will have more while fishing. I looked at one yesterday and that thing is huge for a 18' tin rig. I also looked a Triton 18' today and the PT was much wider in the front end of the boat. Not knocking the triton but that PT is huge.

16. Member
    Yea. I hear that crestliner made the front casting deck massive for an 18 footer.

I'd probably go with the rt198p myself out of those three boats. But you might check out a X19 with a 150 hp on it also and visit the Vexus website.

18. Member
    I'd consider a vexus if there was a dealer but no luck there. Plus to get 150 id be in a 19 footer. Same with ranger. Its still on my list but really wat to stay in 18 foot range. But stll considering because of quality and reputation are good with ranger

19. Member
    I'd go with the Dealer that has the best service rating.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

20. Member
    All depends on what you are looking for. My Ranger fishes really good but lacks speed that some want. My buddy has an Xpress and his boat will run really fast for an aluminum boat but doesn’t fish as stable as my Ranger but it still fishes good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast