How to Enlarge Holes in Lids for New Handles

I recently bought some new latches for my boat. The new ones are bigger diameter than the old. What’s the best way to enlarge the holes so the new locks fit?

2. Member
    Aluminum or fiberglass lids?

If you can, drill a pilot hole in a piece of hardwood, center the pilot hole in the old latch hole and clamp the wood to the lid. Use a larger hole saw with the pilot hole to enlarge the opening in the lid.

A drum sander on a rotary tool would also work, but may take longer, harder to keep perfect circle, and make a lot of dust.

4. Member
    You can also use two blades in a hole saw at the same time, one the size of the hole one the size you want it to be. A clamped piece of wood helps out too.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CastingCall View Post
    If you can, drill a pilot hole in a piece of hardwood, center the pilot hole in the old latch hole and clamp the wood to the lid. Use a larger hole saw with the pilot hole to enlarge the opening in the lid.

A drum sander on a rotary tool would also work, but may take longer, harder to keep perfect circle, and make a lot of dust.
    X2

Get a step bit, self centers and fairly cheap and comes in useful for a lot of situations.

7. Member
    What’s the best way to get the plastic nut off the back of the old handle? Should I use any marine adhesive with the new one?

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    You can also use two blades in a hole saw at the same time, one the size of the hole one the size you want it to be. A clamped piece of wood helps out too.
    Thats f**king genius

I just chucked up the correct hole saw, cut through plywood a few times then stacked the cores on the pilot bit. The cores were exactly same size as original hole and worked perfect to guide the larger hole saw blade..
    1999 Skeeter ZX202 - 2000 Mercury 200EFI - Tempest+ 25p - Minn Kota Ultrex - Lowrance HDS7 Gen2 touch/ Elite7 Chirp - GoFree WiFi1 module

Quote Originally Posted by Kzaker View Post
    I just chucked up the correct hole saw, cut through plywood a few times then stacked the cores on the pilot bit. The cores were exactly same size as original hole and worked perfect to guide the larger hole saw blade..
    Now THAT is a great solution!

I couldn't picture the two concentric hole saw blade theory working - the teeth are the same depth, so the inner one wouldn't make contact with the sides of the old hole before outer blade touched...?