Thread: 97 TR21

97 TR21

I’ve had the boat since 05, been a pretty good boat. I’m planning on keeping this boat and have the wife sell it after I’m gone (in 20+ years). The sea star steering ram is showing a little sign of some seepage while in between uses. I already researched the repair kit w/Spanner so good to go there.
    My brain says to reseal it over winter, but another part says this thing is 21 years old, 21 years of overcoming chine, Lake Erie waves and dodging debris on the Ohio river. Replace it.....
    I look things over constantly, old aircraft mechanic habit, preflight always gets done 😂.... No cracks, stress marks or looseness of parts.
    Conundrum of sorts... Opinions?
    97 TR21 99 225EFI S/N OG885575

2. Member
    I resealed my 1999 SeaStar Pro cylinder and it works great. If the cylinder bore is good, then put new seals in it. The old SeaStar Pro cylinders used bronze end cap rod bushings, all the cylinders now use a composite end cap rod bushings.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    I resealed my 1999 SeaStar Pro cylinder and it works great. If the cylinder bore is good, then put new seals in it. The old SeaStar Pro cylinders used bronze end cap rod bushings, all the cylinders now use a composite end cap rod bushings.
    How was the bleeding portion of it? Very time consuming?

Seastar wants $25 for a quart of their fluid, is it wise to just use it, or can another brand be substituted?

4. Member
    Bleeding is simple. I don't mess with other fluids, I use the SeaStar brand and recirculate it back to the bottle, when bleeding.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Bleeding is simple. I don't mess with other fluids, I use the SeaStar brand and recirculate it back to the bottle, when bleeding.
    One quart does the whole reseal/bleeding job?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    One quart does the whole reseal/bleeding job?
    Should be unless you've lost a lot of fluid and require most of that quart to refill. Given your post, I doubt that's the issue as you'd have poor to no steering with a quart missing :)

Secret is to bleed slowly to prevent bubbles and never let the fill bottle go empty while turning wheel. If it empties and you suck air into your helm, you'll need to start all over again.

Thanks for all the information guys, much appreciated....

8. Member
    Mark gave you good advice, especially about moving slowly and the air bubbles, when recirculating fluid...…..