Thread: Project Ranger.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Member
    I did measure it and on my ranger the Mercury cav plate would come out at dead level with the pad with just bolting it to the transom. So I think a plate may be counter productive.

2. Member
    Well the boss said I can use the shop at work on the weekends to work on the boat. So now I can use the engine hoist. So the next step is to get the trailer sorted so it can be moved safely and legally. The place I work is in a tourist trap town and has heavy traffic enforcement. Got caught this afternoon not watching my speed close enough. Man I hate messing up lol.

3. Banned
    I have a custom made stainless steel transom (lift) plate that came off my old Ranger (1980).. It's not a set back plate. It fits over the top of the transom and is raised up a few inchs above the transom to make an area for top engine clamps.

You can have it for free if you want, just pay for the shipping. I can send you pics of it if you would like. PM me if you're interested in it.

4. Member
    I don't really need to raise the engine. I was just trying to not have to change the bolt pattern as I plan to eventually get a newer bigger outboard. Just not this year. Unless I can find someone who wants this old Mercury and has an OMC pattern engine to trade.

5. Member
    Tried to get the bow eye glass work done yesterday. However the resin did not make it to the bottom of the repair. I will have to drill a small hole to inject the resin into the chop matt at the bottom of the void. No big deal just irritating. Lol. Should have made paste out of chop matt and resin and packed it in the void but I was trying to just pour it in and work it in with my fingers. Small opening to work through. It didn't work out as planned lol.

6. Member
    Heading out shortly to go pick up a 4" height adjustable 6" setback jack plate. Hope to have my pole barn awning up and the engine mounted to the boat by Sunday evening.

7. Member
    Finally figured out what holes to use on the engine to mount it without using the top clamps. So hopefully my issues are solved on that front lol.

8. Member
    Ok finally home. Hope to be able to get the constitution work done by supper so I can work on the boat tomorrow. Still have to build shelves in the living room this weekend as well so hopefully I can get it all done without hitting any snags.

9. Member
    Meant to get back to this sooner....

I had an '89 Dynatrak that had standard clamp holes drilled in the transom and put a tower of power on (1150). We got a very simple two piece jackplate and drilled a new set of holes to match the old style clamp bracket. It worked great!

10. Member
    I got a 4 inch hi jacker two piece manual jack plate. I figure with 6 bolts holding it to the plate the upper clamps aren't needed. We shall see haha.

11. Member
    I THINK it was pretty common not to use the clamps. My dad had a '77 Ranger 1750 with the an 1150 and I'm pretty sure the clamps weren't holding anything on his boat (it was factory rigged) and then on my Dynatrak I know we didn't have them tied to anything.

A quick internet search, and found a pic of what I was picturing you'd likely need to mount the Merc with the clamps onto a jack plate:

Simply adding some thick aluminum horizontal mounting plates across the jackplate brackets you have. Looks like this guy has an added spacer along the clamp area too - to simulate clamping on a thick transom. Without that, you'd likely need longer clamping bolts to pinch the horizontal (1/2"?) aluminum bar stock.

13. Member
    That's exactly what I needed to know. Thank you very much. Finally, a site with someone who will give a strait answer without telling me to rebuild the transom without even seeing the boat lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Noassumptionsplease. View Post
    That's exactly what I needed to know. Thank you very much. Finally, a site with someone who will give a strait answer without telling me to rebuild the transom without even seeing the boat lol.
    Let's not get ahead of ourselves... I haven't seen a clear pic of the Ranger transom yet - so I might still throw you under the "rebuild the transom" bus!

15. Member
    Ain't happening. Lol. Got my awning up this weekend so now the boat is under cover and I can work on it even when its raining now. Progress will be coming soon.

16. Member
    Well so much for progress lol. Awning is leaking something terrible. Oh well. Next weekend I hope to have the tin on order.

17. Member
    No roofing tin yet as I had to buy parts to get the blazer fixed so I have a way to work. Lol. I did get some aluminum plates to use if needed with the jack plates so I hope to be mounting the engine next weekend if the weather holds.

18. Member
    On a side note. I ordered my first baitcast reel last week and its sitting in the post office. Got a new Berkley rod for it to go on and would love to go try it out today but I won't be able to get it till tomorrow so will probably be the weekend before I get to try it out.

19. Member
    Had a chance this afternoon to try the new $14.15 baitcaster after work. Not bad. Its my first one and I only backlashed it a few times. Pretty easy to use and works well. I'm happy so far with it.

20. Member
    Well the rain is back lol. Still no roofing tin. Got surprise vehicle issues so had to buy another pick up. Oh well its only the best time of year for aggressive bass feeding. Grrrrr.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234