Thread: Project Ranger.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    That gal is rough shape. Hope you get her "prettied up".

You should post this over in the "Bassboat Restoration" section http://www.bbcboards.net/forumdisplay.php?f=118 The guys over there will have some good input/ideas for you.

2. Member
    Is there a way to move the thread?

3. Member
    Thanks for the updates. Keep posting pics as you make progress. Sounds like a great project and I look forward to seeing your progress
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

4. Member
    You're a lot better off getting a jackplate cheap and drilling it for the old merc bolt pattern than putting an extra set of holes in the transom. Been through that already. If you need any parts for that old motor I think I've still got a plastic bin full.

5. Member
    Take pictures with you to the tax processor you basically have junk, even though you consider it a gold mine. Somewhere in between. Maybe you can save some bucks there. If you have really dry weather there you might consider pressure washing it inside any thing that comes off needed to come off anyhow. Like a previous poster said, a cheap used mechanical jack plate might be your best friend, you'll have to set your prop to pad height anyhow, and it lets you fine tune that dimension.
    I think you could get away with aluminum hinges on the hatches but SS will be much stronger. Get a book on how to repair fiberglass, or use the internet. If you have a West Marine nearby they have a free handout pamphlet that explains a lot.

6. Member
    Tax assessor is just checking to see if you owe any taxes, not assessing the value of the vehicle. They just won't let you tag anything if you owe any taxes in Arkansas.
    I will go ahead and get the stainless hinges. I would love to get a jack plate but the cheapest I've found is more than I have at the moment so that will have to wait till I go back to work. In the mean time I will keep plugging away on what I DO have supplies to work on. Like the hull repairs.
    I think I may be able to get to the wood for the bow eye through the access for the trolling motor wiring. I'm planning on using a sheet of PTFE instead of wood. Commonly used in cutting boards its super strong and won't ever rot.

7. Member
    Can anyone recommend a jack plate that will work with this older Mercury? The bolt pattern is different and the holes are closer together at the bottom. I really don't want to buy the wrong part lol. Thanks guys I do appreciate the input.

8. Member
    I don't consider it a gold mine, I just see that with some work it will be a useful boat again. I don't ever expect it to be perfect, the idea is to be able to take my Dad and Unkle fishing. Niether of them can get around too good anymore and it's getting to be too hard for them to get to the fishing holes. I however made a mistake when buying my first boat. I bought a parts boat. Complete and everything working but severe rot on the transom and stringers. I was unable to identify these issues as I did not take my time in inspection as it was pouring rain when I got there lol. Big mistake. So rather than just rite it off, I found a solid hull to put all my good parts on. I don't really care what the boat looks like. I care that its safe and all the necessary systems work reliably. I just want to go fishing in something that won't tip over if I stand up in it lol. I know a lot of you guys are really proud of your boats, and most of you should be I'm sure. I however do not really care if others like my boat or not. Its not there to make them happy, (although that would be nice) its there to make ME happy. And even though its been mistreated and left to die, its still good and solid and will serve my purposes well. While I would love to have a newer boat I am not financially able to do that at this time. Lol. This is what I can afford now. And I am quite happy with it. Just a bit of work and all will be rite with the world lol.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin Bob71 View Post
    Thanks for the updates. Keep posting pics as you make progress. Sounds like a great project and I look forward to seeing your progress
    Will do. I have done a lot already. Will post some current pics today. Been tarped up due to weather. I know it's not supposed to hurt them, but I have open glass repairs going on and I don't want the repair areas wet. I will store it covered as long as I own it. Either with a tarp or under a pole barn. Just to cut down on cleaning if nothing else lol.

10. Member
    I wish to convey a blanket thank you to everyone. This is the third site I have been on since buying this boat. This site I have been met by civil, like minded people who are willing to help. On one site I was called a hack and told I needed to replace my transom several times by several people without my ever mentioning rot or weakness. They just assumed that if I need a plate on the transom it MUST be because its weak. I just don't like bolt crush is all. You know we've come a long way since bolts were invented in our application of them lol. Guy got mad and started blasting me.
    Another site banned me nitrite outrite for telling a guy this, "me not bowing to your opinion as if it were the word of GOD does NOT make me wrong, it just shows there are more than one way to do it" moderator deleted my post and chastised me. So I lit him up like a January xmass tree. Got banned lol.

11. Member
    I guess some people feel their way is the only correct way to do it. Lol. They got all but hurt when I used logic and facts to back up my decisions lol. I don't have time for all that.
    For the record I don't know everything. I know a lot about a lot of things. I am quite a capable guy. That being said if you see me doing something and your initial thought is that's not rite, think about what I did and ask yourself if it is safe and if it will reach the same end result? Answer yes? Then don't bother telling me I'm wrong. Answer no? Go ahead and tell me I'm an idiot. Lol. I can take it. However if I AM all good in my thinking I may explain my thought process. This is to enlighten and encourage others to think outside the box. Those other sites I mentioned weren't allowed to think outside the box. This is how you WILL do it. Were the internet we know EVERYTHING! LOL.

12. Member
    Found a video where a guy used 2 1/2" aluminum square stock and a plate to make a fixed jack plate for about $20 now I figure he used too thin of a plate at that price or he got a great deal on scrap pieces at the machine shop he got them from. I am going to try the local trailer manufacturing place and see what I can get. This would be better as I would be able to go back to an OMC pattern later if needed or wanted. Thanks for the info guys. Keep it coming.

13. Member
    Well crud. That idea won't work either. With the top transom clamps on this engine I will need a 6" setback on the jack plate. And the top would need to be made thicker so it could be clamped to. Any ideas? Or am I looking for a setback jack plate?

14. Member
    Setback, the less the better for now. I used a 6 inch because I paid less than $100 used for it and it allowed me to find the sweet spot for my Suzuki, which few bass fishermen run. Anyhow, If you're doing fiberglass, unless you already know how, I suggested West Marine for a free handout or internet searches. Too bad i'm so far away I have a barrel of fiberglass cloth.

15. Member
    Thanks for the offer on the far away cloth lol. Plan to check out west systems further as I am just getting into molding my own radio control boat hulls in fiberglass.
    Ok back to the issue at hand today lol.
    Found this
    https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchan...008&top_cat=60
    Plant to use it as a fixed 6 inch setback jack plate. It is less than a third the cost of the least expensive ebay manual jack plate I found that was useable for my engine.

16. Member
    I have been told to just cut off those upper clamps and just the 4 bolt holes to mount it. However the holes look smaller to me and I kinda feel like the clamps may be needed for long term durability. Thoughts?

17. Banned
    That boat really doesn't look all that bad except for the homemade wooden deck extensions that you are removing. Painting over gel coat dosen't work very well. Go to the "Restoration Forum" here and read up on wet sanding and buffing. You might be surprised how good it might clean up and shine by just wet sanding and buffing. Good luck with your project.

18. Member
    Keep your eyes open, and remember, money talks. There is a lot of engineering that goes into a jackplate, you don't want the motor to share your seat with you.

https://tulsa.craigslist.org/search/...ery=jack+plate

19. Member
    The gell has already been painted over. Its a mess lol.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Noassumptionsplease. View Post
    The gell has already been painted over. Its a mess lol.
    At this point in time appearance is the least of your problems.
    Safety, comfort and reliability. Not drowning, not being physically or emotionally stressed and getting back under your own power should be your prime motivators.
    My boat is kind of an ugly duckling, I repaired it myself after knocking 3 feet off the rear deck cap, fracturing the hull at the rub rail and below, and ripping the trolling motor off the front. That's why I learned the basics of fiberglass repair. There's almost nothing that can't be repaired with fiberglass.
    That jackplate was only $150 but money talks. You cannot make one for much less if at all. There are bound to be others out there you might even post a :"Want to buy used" ad here, Jackplates, in Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace and such.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast