Thread: 1980 Rod Tubes

1980 Rod Tubes

Can they be removed or a boat ordered without them?

2. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar
    Unsure.. I can ask Monday when I get back to the office.

3. Member
    Thank You.

4. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar
    Right now, we don't have an option for removing the rod tubes, but thanks for suggestions like this one. we are trying to constantly improve the product

5. Member
    Thanks for finding out. I absolutely abhor rod tubes. Take them out and a rod box that holds 10 with tubes now holds 20. I’m guessing the way they currently do it is foaming them in?

6. Member
    You guys should definitely consider an option to have a formed aluminum rod box that extends up into the space the tubes run but leave it open. That is one of the things I love about the box on my older Ranger 681VS. It is a pretty small box overall, much smaller than that on the 1980 in width and height dimensions, but I can easily stuff these 19 rods in there.

Rod slicks are the way to go!

7. Member
    Yeah I would love the option to get rid of the rod tubes on the port-side of the boat. Or at least have the top half be rod tubes, and the bottom half open all the way to the bow, that way you can fit multiple rods at the bottom and still keep your main ones in the rod tubes.

I agree Rod tubes are nice if I only had 8 rods. My first Ranger 518 had a large opening with a plastic sleeve. Awesome. My second ranger had rod tubes... Hated it! My skeeter had rod tubes but could be removed. I took them out.

9. Member
    I also hate rod tubes. One of few things I dislike about my RT188

10. Member
    AVX1980 here. Cannot stand the rod tubes for obvious reasons. Especially considering I have to lose one of the tubes to store the rear navigation light pole.

11. Moderator
    I find the center rod box works best for me. Port side is used for tackle. Ut
    Vince Dart- Jim Thorpe PA

12. Member
    I never carry more than 4 rods if fishing out of another person's boat and never have more than 6 on deck of my own rig at any time. Rod tubes don't bother me with or without as also never carry more than 6 of my own in the boat. Been doing it this way for over 40 yrs. of bass fishing, works well for me.

13. Member
    agree rod tubes limit the amount of rods you can store

I store rods in my garage along with ped board for my plastics.
    Right now I have 6 rods in the boat, so tubes work fine for me.
    This is all a little tongue and cheek guys I Understand the need for the open rod storage for some of you tackle hoarders. I prefer my rods to be in one of the side compartments and tackle storage in the middle.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

15. Member
    How is your keel shield holding up?