Thread: Reel tool kit?

Reel tool kit?

What is a good tool set to get for working on your own reels? Thanks!

2. Member
    I get by with three tools for 95% of my reel work. 1. needle nose pliers, 2. small flat head, 3. small phillips head. About the smallest screw drivers you can get.
    If you want to consider it a tool as well, I never start working on reels without a box of Qtips.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

3. Member
    I bought a tool at Lowe’s years back. It was basically the base of screwdriver with about 10 small adjustable attachments. It works great for many of the small needs of a fishing reel.

4. Member
    wiha or wera precision screwdriver sets. Won't strip screws and the sets come with all the sizes you need and will last a lifetime. Set's are around 20-25$. If you work on reels every year it's more than worth it.

5. Member
    Second here for WIHA screw drivers in precision size. I think it is my Chronarch MGL that has a really, really tiny Phillitps screw on the cover and WIHA has a nice 00 Philips and that is tiny.

6. Member
    Is this the set everyone is referencing?
    https://www.wihatools.com/precision-...rs-7-piece-set
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

In addition to the micro screwdrivers, I get a lot of use out of a pair of needle nose jeweler's tweezers. They are perfect for removing and replacing the little bearing retainer clips.

I also use a straightened paper clip with just about ⅛" of the end bent in a 90 degree angle. Great for getting behind a spool bearing and popping it out.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

8. Member
    Third here for WIHA screw drivers in precision size. I have been using WIHA for years to maintain all of my reels. If you take care of them they will last forever.

9. Member
    Ditto on the WIHA screwdrivers. Along with those, the tools that I use the most are cotton swabs, small brushes (both nylon and brass bristles), small metric wrenches, dental picks, toothpicks, needle oiler, flux brushes (for applying grease to gears), an ultrasonic cleaner and a good quality magnifying glass.

Tom

Let's see...

Handle nut wrench, a couple different sizes of small flat head and philips screwdrivers, hedgehog spool pin removal tool, a big safety pin, paperclip, small toothbrush, a small jar to put bearings in with alcohol, a small ultrasonic jewelry cleaner to clean parts, degreaser + water to clean parts in jewelry cleaner, ziploc sandwich bags, q-tips, a 3600 plano box, ZPI medium grease and ZPI bearing oil, paper towels, microfiber cloth and some multisurface polish.

Pretty much everything I use to completely tear down a reel, clean, lube and reassemble.

Quote Originally Posted by fluke1987 View Post
    Let's see...

Handle nut wrench, a couple different sizes of small flat head and philips screwdrivers, hedgehog spool pin removal tool, a big safety pin, paperclip, small toothbrush, a small jar to put bearings in with alcohol, a small ultrasonic jewelry cleaner to clean parts, degreaser + water to clean parts in jewelry cleaner, ziploc sandwich bags, q-tips, a 3600 plano box, ZPI medium grease and ZPI bearing oil, paper towels, microfiber cloth and some multisurface polish.

Pretty much everything I use to completely tear down a reel, clean, lube and reassemble.
    I would say that pretty much covers it.