Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Tracker Pro 190 trolling motor wiring

I've put this on a couple of different forums looking for feed back, need yours as well. This model comes with a 12V t/motor that many owners replace with a 24V t/motor. The boat is factory wired with 8 gauge t/motor wiring. 24V t/motors call for 6 gauge wiring with 60 amp breakers (ie. MinnKota Fortrex with 56 amp max draw). I'm sure there are many who are using the 8 gauge wiring for 24V set ups, but I suspect there are some who have upgraded to heavier gauge wiring. It appears to me that the routing of the replacement wiring would be very difficult. I'd like to know how you ran your wiring from bow to bilge area. Any thoughts regarding this would be appreciated. Geezer.

2. Member
    geezer, here is what I did and worked great. First disconnect the 8 ga wire at both ends, remove your bow cover and have some one pull on both ends WITHOUT letting go to see if the wire is loose. If it is, SOLDER the 6 ga wire to the end of the 8 ga wire as smoothly as possible and tape it cleanly. You can then just pull the new wire through. You will have to upgrade to new plug at the bow also. If the wire doesn't feel like it will pull through you may be able to remove enough panels to loosen it up, but I didn't have to do that.

3. Member

Re: (splais)

Your fix is exactly what my initial intention was. I don't have the boat yet, but the Tracker salesman suggested that it would be pretty much impossible to pull the 8 gauge through. Your words are encouraging. Thank you for your response. Geezer.

4. Member
    it wasn't difficult at all. As long as you solder it well it will not come apart. At the worst you will just have to pull it back to where it was and thing of something else. but if you can move the wire before you try, it should go through.

Re: (geezer1)

When I bought the Tracker, the BPS shop installed 6 ga wire for me and left the 8 ga in also. They removed the front deck to install the 6 ga.
    I run a 36v trolling motor with the 6 ga and a remote switch with the 8 ga. for a couple of transom mounted trolling motors when I fish electric-only waters.

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

6. Member

Re: (Wayne P.)

I tried to pull the new 6 with the old 8 wires but it was imposible because the way it was routed under the driver seat to rear deck. You cant get your hands in there and it was imposible to pull without nicking and scratching up the insulation on the wires from the apparent raw edge it was dragging on not to mention the new wires would be bouncing and rubbing on this unseen/unreachable edge. So while I had the front deck off I pulled Liquid tite flexible conduit (from home depot) down the center of the boat and up into the rear compartment, ancoring it down to the braces every few feet and keeping both ends up high enough so water would never enter the conduit, I then pulled my new 6 ga wires and a string threw the conduit . I saved 1-2 feet on the length of the wire do to the straight shot from TM to batteries and if I ever need additional wires to the front I can pull them up fast and easy with the string.

06 PT190TX
    06 Modified 90 Opti
    80LB Terrova/I-Pilot
    6" CMC Jackplate
    23P Trophy plus
    Lowrance HDS8
    12' Talon

7. Member

Re: (jimfc3)

How difficult is it to remove the front deck? Geezer.

8. Member

Re: (geezer1)

I had to remove my deck. It wasn't all that hard. You just have to make sure and find all the screws.

9. Member

Re: (the_crab)

not hard at all

06 PT190TX
    06 Modified 90 Opti
    80LB Terrova/I-Pilot
    6" CMC Jackplate
    23P Trophy plus
    Lowrance HDS8
    12' Talon

Re: Tracker Pro 190 trolling motor wiring (geezer1)

i've got a tracker PT 185 and did the upgrade your trying to do. i went with a 24V Minnkota 70# Maxxum. I was concerned about upgrading the wiring to, but after some research, I decided not to. With a 24V system, your Tm will pull .75A per hr/per lb of thrust vs 1.0A per with a 12V system. with a 70# thrust model, I hardly ever use it at it's maximum potential. (makes my boat almost plane!) also, if you look at the wire coming out of the foot pedal, it's 8 ga, so I wasnt too concerned with the hassle of pulling new wire. I did upgrade with a 50-amp resetable breaker. To test my setup, I ran my TM at 100% for 8-10mins one day and felt the wires and they were NOT hot. Most likely, you'll be running your TM at about 50% capacity and that should be well within the current rating of 8 ga wire. Also, I did upgrade the plug to a minnkota plug. I'm by no means an "expert" but i've had NO problems out of my setup and i fish every weekend. BTW, you'll love the extra power! Cant believe tracker puts those low thrust units on there

Re: Tracker Pro 190 trolling motor wiring (fishman400)

I'm glad I found this post as it will be a great resource when I am ready for this upgrade myself.

Re: Tracker Pro 190 trolling motor wiring (fishman400)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by fishman400 &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">i've got a tracker PT 185 and did the upgrade your trying to do. i went with a 24V Minnkota 70# Maxxum. I was concerned about upgrading the wiring to, but after some research, I decided not to. With a 24V system, your Tm will pull .75A per hr/per lb of thrust vs 1.0A per with a 12V system. with a 70# thrust model, I hardly ever use it at it's maximum potential. (makes my boat almost plane!) also, if you look at the wire coming out of the foot pedal, it's 8 ga, so I wasnt too concerned with the hassle of pulling new wire. I did upgrade with a 50-amp resetable breaker. To test my setup, I ran my TM at 100% for 8-10mins one day and felt the wires and they were NOT hot. Most likely, you'll be running your TM at about 50% capacity and that should be well within the current rating of 8 ga wire. Also, I did upgrade the plug to a minnkota plug. I'm by no means an "expert" but i've had NO problems out of my setup and i fish every weekend. BTW, you'll love the extra power! Cant believe tracker puts those low thrust units on there </td></tr></table>+1, I've had no problems, been running 8g on my minn kota for 3yrs.

2010 Ranger Z518
    2010 200 Optimax Pro XS
    BBC MS Bass Club

13. Member

Re: Tracker Pro 190 trolling motor wiring (bare2)

I have a PT 175 and am looking to upgrade to a Minnkota 70# maxxum. Will the 42" shaft length be ok or do I need to go to a 52"

Re: Tracker Pro 190 trolling motor wiring (Lone Buck)

42 unless you fish real choppy water. I can fish in 20-25 mph wind and TM does'nt come out of the water and I do not have it all the way down.

2010 Ranger Z518
    2010 200 Optimax Pro XS
    BBC MS Bass Club

15. Member

Thanks, bare2

Re: Tracker Pro 190 trolling motor wiring (Lone Buck)

no problem

2010 Ranger Z518
    2010 200 Optimax Pro XS
    BBC MS Bass Club

17. Member

I upgraded to a 70lb 24v variable speed maxxum last year too. I also left the 8ga. wire in, it alreasy had a 50amp manual reset breaker. If I ever have the deck off, maybe I'll change them, but I don't see any need to right now.

18. Member
    This is an old thread, but I found a way to run the wire without lifting the deck if anyone is ever interested, PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Buck View Post
    I have a PT 175 and am looking to upgrade to a Minnkota 70# maxxum. Will the 42" shaft length be ok or do I need to go to a 52"
    I just did this last month, same MK 70 max, no problems with 42" on my PT 185, got into some windy motions on water and never a problem with coming out of water....

20. Banned
    why should anyone have to PM anybody for instructions? In a forum it should be a learning experience for EVERYONE - that's the purpose of a forum - learn from others. If you have a technique that works for ALL boats, then by all means post it in the appropriate forum section. If it applies to a specific boat brand, then post it there, if its for ALL tin boats, then you're in the right place. Nobody but one person learns anything if you keep it to yourself and therefore you don't become an asset TO the forum don't you think. OR unless you're promoting a side business which some people on these forums tend to do based on some PM's I've received. I get a lot of PM's too asking for assistance - but I will NEVER answer a question that other members of a forum could benefit from and I let that person know that and to ask that question in a forum. I keep PM's strictly for private personal type stuff. BUT that's just me potomacbassin

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast