replacing oil tank

serial number- 0T512962 225 optimax
    Question for all of you merc gurus I am replacing the oil tank on the side of my engine other than replacing the tank do I need to take it into a mercury service center and have them run the oil priming process with a mercury scan tool or can I put it into break in mode myself at home orrr am I over thinking this and just replace the tank and fill it with oil.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Needs to have oil pump prime done on the Computer Diagnostic System (don't use break-in reset, as it will cost you far more in the end than doing it right).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Replace the tank and follow the bleeding procedure.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Replace the tank and follow the bleeding procedure.
    could you link the bleeding procedure? Also you two are confusing lol both are the go too guys for merc stuff and I get two different answers. Also don its really not the money that im worried about nobody around here can get me in for two weeks and I would really love to use the boat this weekend considering its my first free weekend in over a month and I wont be able to till mid October after this one.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Perhaps it's in how you read it... I see the same answer stated two different ways (one simply more detailed than the other).

Best case scenario would be to get a dealer to agree to walk out and perform the oil pump prime on the spot. Takes well under 20 minutes (more like 5 in most cases).

As for bleeding air from the engine-mounted tank, the following link is from the FAQ Section:

Bleeding air from the Engine Mounted Oil Tank

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Replaced the tank no alarms or anything idled for about 3min and it didn’t overflow but the level went up to the top and bubbles came out. Also noticed this noise difference listen in the video. Most noticeable from 6-9 seconds sounds like its from the intake area.

7. Member
    Did you have a Dealer run the oil pump prime sequence?

8. Member
    If you didn’t have the oil prime done that sound is likely parts running metal on metal from lack of lubrication because of the air you introduced in the system from opening the suction line to the oil pump when you changed the tank out.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Did you have a Dealer run the oil pump prime sequence?
    I yes I had a local dealer run the sequence for me.

10. Member
    Update took the boat down agian had them take a look ended up just being the seal on my remote fill.. all fixed up and ready to go.