Confirming PN for 150 optimax

Hey guys,

So im just trying to work out some pricing to see where would be an ideal place to buy some parts. Needless to say im astounded at how big the price fluctuation is on OEM merc parts from shop to shop. I get a small variance in price but in a lot of parts im seeing $100+ in cost difference which I usually never see looking for oem parts for other toys.

My engine is a 150 opti Merc 1B044209.

I just want to confirm that the oil pump PN: 857149T2 is discontinued. Merc doesnt seem to update their listing with the new superseded part number.

From what I found the newest part number for the oil pump is 8M0128080. Can someone confirm?

Been shopping around.. my local shop quoted me 629 for the oil pump plus tax. (I forgot to ask them the PN) so bothering you guys now.

I'm finding oil pumps online from USA marine shops ranging 400-460 some below 400... even with the cost of shipping and conversion of the $$$ im still ahead by 50-100$ (which would basically cover the cost of getting the oil prime sequence done).

I haven't looked at Don's as he doesnt ship to Canada yet. so I am limited in that sense...

heck even just for the NGK spark plugs for my motor.. I checked 3 places... 29.68 from a local shop that can order them in. 25.99 from a marine dealer and 20.99 from a sporting goods store with free shipping. dont think I was expecting prices to jump around that much!
    2004 Ranger Reata 180vs 8" rapid jack magnum CCM reeds 21P tempest plus- 2005 150 optimax 1B044209

2. Member
    check that ser num merc says 1b044209 not found
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    check that ser num merc says 1b044209 not found
    Just double checked 1B044209 is the right serial number.

2004 Ranger Reata 180vs 8" rapid jack magnum CCM reeds 21P tempest plus- 2005 150 optimax 1B044209

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The latest, and correct Part Number is:
    8M0128080

US dealers are contractually prohibited from shipping components/parts/engines outside the US. Your local dealer should be able to get you that part number.

Note: You'll also want:

2@ 816311T
    7@ 56762

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    now it worked
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    The latest, and correct Part Number is:
    8M0128080

US dealers are contractually prohibited from shipping components/parts/engines outside the US. Your local dealer should be able to get you that part number.

Note: You'll also want:

2@ 816311T
    7@ 56762

Damn really didnt know that! So I guess if I did somehow get an oem pump from the us... if something was to happen I'd be in a tight spot or the dealer would?

Don was there any improvements done to the oil pump vs the original part number or is it all the same just a change in numbers. Guess non the less I'll make sure I get the new on and not some pump that's been sitting on the shelf for x years.

Joe all good lol pretty easy to make a typo do appareciate you popping in regardless to see what a up.

And thanks don for confirming the pn. I'm getting some sweating around the black plug on the pump just need to dig in to make sure it's not a fitting or line before jumping the gun.

Still to it.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    There was a vendor change since the original part number- no real change in the pump design itself.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ride.race.live View Post
    I haven't looked at Don's as he doesnt ship to Canada yet. so I am limited in that sense...
    Doesn't stop you from using his parts site to look up parts and prices for your engine. One nice thing is any part number you select and put in your shopping cart will automatically update to the most current part number.
    Last edited by SilverFox579; 09-07-2018 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Edited to remove a suggestion I should not have posted
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

9. Member
    Did your pump quit working, or start leaking?
    I have a 2004, 150 optimax that I believe is leaking. Can’t get to it till the weather breaks up here in Ohio.
    If it was leaking, where did the leak originate?
    Thanks
    David OH, Lake Erie
    2004, Boston Whaler 240 Outrage
    Twin 150 Mercury Optimax
    OT946111
    OT973175

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pecos23 View Post
    Did your pump quit working, or start leaking?
    I have a 2004, 150 optimax that I believe is leaking. Can’t get to it till the weather breaks up here in Ohio.
    If it was leaking, where did the leak originate?
    Thanks

Yea its started to leak. If I am correct my motor has aprox or close to 600 hours.

I am having a hard time seeing where MOST of the oil is seeping from but its accumulating around the black plug on the pump itself and oil is accumulating on the corner of the plenum. So my best guess would be either and or the top port side bolt or bottom bolt on the oil pump. or its seeping around the the seam on that side and around the plug. Though from my searches online most cases people report the leaks were coming from one of the bolts

I just took apart the mid section cowlings this past weekend cleaned up as much of the oil res as I can with some rags and put the motor on muffs and ran it for aprox 10 minutes on idle to see if I can pin point where its leaking.

I couldn't see much other then some minor sweating which could of just been existing oil just accumulating again. I'd also imagine when running the motor at a higher RPM in the water will have more pressure and more oil going through thus having a faster leak. On idle the motor gets VERY little oil use so it will take more time for signs of oil to show.

I have plans on going fishing this weekend so I put it back together. but I jammed some paper towel around the bottom of the pump. I'm going to be checking to see how much has leaked from sitting and I will also monitor how much leaks from this weekends day trip.

In the mean time I did decide to try and tighten the 3 bolts on the bolt to see if that would do a temp fix or even reduce the mount seepeing... the top starboard side bolt took more so a 1/4 turn before getting "tight" using a fairly small allen key. the other 2 bolts took about an 1/8 turn. At this point I got nothing to loose so well see if that helps any!.. My fingers are crossed to say the least as those damn pumps are 627 + tax here... plus a shop hour to do the oil prime sequence.

11. Member
    I had new oil pumps leak.

12. Member
    yep, been there seen that, but they got one year warranty

13. Member
    Yeah the more i do searching about oil pumps the more I notice there's no real standard/ expectation on when it will potentially leak.

Some have been swapped out under warranty, some RIGHT after warranty has ended. Some people only notice the pump is leaking down the road and will never know when it actually started to leak.

Heck the only reason I even looked was because I saw a thread come up here with a person spotting an oil leak and I decided to peek at mine, otherwise god knows how long I would of went before really noticing.

Guys that have really clean cowlings may notice it quicker. I know Mine wasn't as easy to spot due to my oil tank cap popped off and flooding my lower cowling area with oil so everything was a mess to begin with.

14. Member
    See my reply in your other post regarding the three bolts - http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=930665
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax