Thread: Flashed??

Flashed??

I have heard a bunch about this. What does it actually mean? Is it just a Yamaha thing or does it include all motors? I am assuming it has something to do with the motors computer?? Sorry for the ignorance.
    2005 21XD W/ 2005 MERC 250XS BULLET TOTAL PERFORMANCE BOAT!!

2. Member
    Sho motors can be flashed.

3. Member
    It all comes form the fact that all of the big block SHOs (200/225/250) are pretty much the same engine, but the ECU is programmed differently on each according to their rated horsepower. Flashing the SHO involves removing the ECU (the computer brain of the engine), sending it to one of the vendors that can preform the flash (software upgrade) and then reinstallation on the engine. You can turn any of the engines into a 300 HP beast. There have been discussions if Yamaha can tell if the ECU has been flashed in the event of a warranty issue. Most will say that if the rev limiter is not altered, the flash can't be detected. Without the rev limiter being changed to a higher number, the horsepower gains are not nearly as much. I haven't tampered with mine, 75-80 is plenty fast for me.

4. Member
    Not to mention if you flash your engine and have the HP increased above the coast guard rated capacity, its probably illegal. One thing for sure it probably could do is to increase your personal liability for knowingly installing an illegal setup. I would not do it.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    It all comes form the fact that all of the big block SHOs (200/225/250) are pretty much the same engine, but the ECU is programmed differently on each according to their rated horsepower. Flashing the SHO involves removing the ECU (the computer brain of the engine), sending it to one of the vendors that can preform the flash (software upgrade) and then reinstallation on the engine. You can turn any of the engines into a 300 HP beast. There have been discussions if Yamaha can tell if the ECU has been flashed in the event of a warranty issue. Most will say that if the rev limiter is not altered, the flash can't be detected. Without the rev limiter being changed to a higher number, the horsepower gains are not nearly as much. I haven't tampered with mine, 75-80 is plenty fast for me.
    Very good answer. Thank you
    2005 21XD W/ 2005 MERC 250XS BULLET TOTAL PERFORMANCE BOAT!!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tromanoski View Post
    Not to mention if you flash your engine and have the HP increased above the coast guard rated capacity, its probably illegal. One thing for sure it probably could do is to increase your personal liability for knowingly installing an illegal setup. I would not do it.
    I bet your a real hoot to hang with.

7. Member
    I've read the SHO in Japan is up to 400 plus hp. I believe any boat over 20' is unlimited HP as far as the the USCG goes. The manufacturer has recommended hp and your insurance may care as well. Not to say if you tournament fish.
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by THOEFT View Post
    Im actually pretty fun to hang with according to several of my friends. Just not stupid like some people.

9. Member
    Wet my pants I am laughing so hard!!!

John

10. Member

HaHa……………….Simon motorsports did my verado a few years ago...……………...well worth the money and the police/Game Warden/coastguard/FEMA/FBI or State Farm never gave me any problems. :)

11. Member
    Im actually pretty fun to hang with according to several of my friends. Just not stupid like some people.

Stupid ? Really ? LOL

We have a winner..
    Well not the title I’d want...
    2019 FX21 LE
    2019 Sho 250
    Humminbird Solix 15
    Humminbird Solix 12
    Humminbird Helix 12
    ML
    Ionics
    Ultrex iLink

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by godsdozer View Post
    Stupid ? Really ? LOL
    Yep people that will operate potentially illegal setups are just that in my opinion. Case in point. A former co-worker of mine allowed his son to black tent the taillights (illegal) on his black truck so it would look even cooler. Truck got rear ended and pushed into another vehicle because the car coming up behind and hit him could not detect (so they claimed) that his son was slowing down and stopping. My co worker (owner of the truck) was cited for illegally tenting the brake lights and also got stuck with the damages. So yeah you can call it what you want. My co-worker was just thankful that no one was hurt.

Yep people that will operate potentially illegal setups are just that in my opinion. Case in point. A former co-worker of mine allowed his son to black tent the taillights (illegal) on his black truck so it would look even cooler. Truck got rear ended and pushed into another vehicle because the car coming up behind and hit him could not detect (so they claimed) that his son was slowing down and stopping. My co worker (owner of the truck) was cited for illegally tenting the brake lights and also got stuck with the damages. So yeah you can call it what you want. My co-worker was just thankful that no one was hurt.

Not an apples to apples comparison. Lighten up just a little.
    2000 Ranger 520DVX 225hpdi

15. aka Strokedyamaha StrokerSmoker's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Tromanoski;9648510]Im actually pretty fun to hang with according to several of my friends. Just not stupid like some people.[/QUOTE

Says the guy with the really slow boat......LOL

Hi performance parts or a Yamaha power head visit
    Hydro-Tec's web site @ http://www.yamaha-rebuild.com/
    Paul Hottman Hydro-Tec's Pro staff since 1998

I souped up a pair of ZX200s back in the day with HT Kits...
    was turning a 27 pitch 5,700rpms (safe limit) and hit 74.4gps which smoked the 225s and few guys had 250s then....

the ECU thing is on the "down low" mostly...warranty worries and such...
    not super expensive for sure...
    anyway, anyone wanting to call you out just looks at prop pitch in the
    launch lot...you running 27-29 something is up...posted gains I have seen are 8-10mph max...

the best way is to get a 200 and flash to a 300hp...

65mph is fine by me these days and I can cruise at that all day...

Your money your ego your choice...that is the way life should be IMHO...
    have a safe fall and weigh heavy!

2018 Z19/200 Optimax 2 stroker 24x3 Fury Ultrex 112
    Lowrance HDS 12/9 Lives with 3 in 1 ducers