3 hook umbrella rigs

Here in WI, we are limited to three hooks. Anyone have any tips or special ways they use 3 hook rigs?

2. Member
    Best video I've seen on rigging the A-rig was over on Tactical Bassin' a while back. Matt demo'ed setting up the Flash Mob Jr for 3 hooks. It works really well. Can probably find it on Youtube as well.

3. Member
    Thanks Excellent video. I especially like using the two extra spreaders on the bottom as weed guards.

4. Member
    Usually just use spring locks and make the top two dummies. 95% of the fish that hit A Rigs are eating the bottom swim baits or the middle one. The top two only came into play if I was already hooked up
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

I know every time I've seen Zona fish it on his show he'll put a different colored bait in the middle and that's always the one that gets bit. I'm not sure how that would work differently with trying to get the fish to focus on three of them, but maybe worth mentioning. The only way it'd be legal in MN is if we only used 1 hook on it, so consider yourself lucky!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnybass View Post
    Thanks Excellent video. I especially like using the two extra spreaders on the bottom as weed guards.

I actually hadn't seen that one and learned a lot there. Here is the one I was referring to: https://www.tacticalbassin.com/blog/...g-bass-fishing. He shot it early this year. Matt's videos are VERY informative.

7. Member
    Personally, I used one like 3 times...

Bought a 5 hook model and put willow blade on the top two spots.

8. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I haven’t thrown an umbrella rig, looked a few and thought....I worry about how my line is visible in the water and people catch bass 2 at a time on these? Tends to make me think I overthink some stuff!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

9. Member
    Hog Farmer BFL rig works well. So does a regular 5 arm rig, all you have to do is cut off the top two hooks OR put hitchhikers (just the twist on spring things like on a swimbait hook) on the top two and just twist on a couple of swimbaits. You don't fish them any different than you would any other Arig.

Put a split ring on your snaps for your teaser baits then add screw lock, then attach your dummies and screw them on so its weighted right or they will swim upside down, and the will not twist.
    2012 Stratos 294 Evolution, Mercury 200 PROXS (1B933452)// HDS live 12, HDS Pro 10 with AT 1, HDS Carbon 12 with SS3D, point 1, sonichub2, Lowrance Ghost, and 3 Ionic lithium batteries.

11. Member
    I have a couple five arm. The top two I put silver willow blades on, bottom two have a 1/8oz jighead with small swimbait and the middle one has just a swimbait. Using the jigheads it keeps it running true and from twisting.