Pulling skiers out of the hole

I have a 2003 Procraft 180 combo. I have had it about one month. She have gone out on a few occasions tubing and it has been great. I found a good deal on some skis so I bought them. We went out this weekend to try them out. I have never pulled a skier. It seemed like getting out of the home was tough. They didn’t pop out of the water as fast as I thought they would. My 10 year old got up for the first time though!! My 13 yr old and my wife didn’t get up. Any pointers to getting out of the hole better? I am trimmed all the way down. I tried flirting it and giving it more of a gradual increase. Thanks.

2. Member
    I can’t help you, but following!! Same issue with my Reata 1850

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    What engine? My boat is the equivalent of a 205 Combo with a 150 and I have to be careful not to pull people onto their faces.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Member
    Mercury 115hp 2 stroke

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtsarby View Post
    Mercury 115hp 2 stroke
    How is it propped? Are your skiers trying to stand up as soon as they come out of the water or riding the skis until the boat gets some speed?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

6. Member
    Changing prop pitch can make quite a big difference. Talk to a prop-shop and say you want to get out of the hole quicker for pulling up skiers. They will ask what prop is on the boat now ... so bring that info. I changed mine and it helped quite a bit.

Also when pulling up a skier, I find it helps to have the motor trimmed all the way down so that it pushes the nose down quicker. I then trim it up once on plane.

And having someone sit on the bow (i.e. the Spotter) can help push the bow down quicker.
    - Rods & Reels are like women. The more expensive they are the lighter they are ... the cheaper they are the heavier they are. -

I have a 1996 astro fs18s with a 150 merc.
    I have a 21p prop.
    I have no problems pulling someone up.
    It does help if the person does know how to ski.

If the 115 is an inline, they are not the best or skiers due to the 2+2 design. Your best bet is to drop 3-4" in pitch and go with more blades. A High 5 would be a good choice.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

9. Member
    I was out with someone else last weekend that had a similar 115 with a 17 pitch prop. Dramatic difference in hole shot from my 21